Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-26-2018, 09:13 PM   #1
Byron05

Drives: 2007 Toyota Belta
Throttle body question Yaris 2007 1290cc

Hi guys, i just had a servicing and battery replacement on my 2007 Toyota Yaris a few days ago. After this it was idling rough and stalling after i come to stops at intersections (drives fine as long as i'm moving though). I discovered that if i keep it from coming to a full stop (giving the engine gas it won't turn off) I just give it enough so that it won't turn off and won't move when i'm at intersections. I also just recently discovered that if I floor it on highways the stalling while idle greatly decreases, in fact I can sometimes get away without giving it much gas at intersections and it won't turn off (I haven't experimented to much with this yet, because well its a pain for it to turn off and have people honking at me while i restart my car, lol).

As you can imagine, its a pain to drive it like this. I did some research and found out that if i clean the throttle body it can help alleviate this problem. I also found out you can also clean the MAF sensor to help with this as well. I want to clean the throttle body first and see if it helps any. I also want to clean the MAF sensor, but since this is my first time doing this and seeing (from what I understand) the MAF sensor is really sensitive and delicate, so i would rather avoid cleaning it if i don't have to (if I have to i'll try it though). The question I have is (because there seems to be a lot of confusion on the internet), is should I take the throttle body off and clean it, or leave it on? Can I move the plate (door way thing) with my hand or no (I see some people doing it and some not)? I imagine it will be cleaned better if I can take it off, but I read it can cause problems (especially if you move the door) with the computer causing you to have to take it to a repair shop to get "re-calibrated", or you can damage the motor causing the door not to open, and both of those are a pain i want to avoid. So is this true, and does it apply to my version of the Toyota Yaris?

This is a Toyota Yaris 2007 1290 cc (1.3L?) engine. And from what I can see under the hood its an electronic throttle body. I can post a video of under the hood if needed, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Byron05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:18 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Normal. ECU needs to relearn fuel trims after a battery disconnect. Try to take it out for about 30 minutes of continuous driving. Everything will settle back in.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2018, 09:31 PM   #3
Byron05

When you say continuous do you literally mean virtually without stops? I've been driving to work that takes like 30 minutes, but its a crap load of starting and stopping. Should I take it out on a highway or something and just floor it (well not to fast, scared of speed in long bursts)?

But from what i read the computer can only relearn and compensate for a dirty grimmy throttle body so much, I have a feeling mine is extremely dirty. My air filter is dirty as well, couldn't change it during service because the stores ran out, waiting for one i ordered to arrive.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:15 PM   #4
WeeYari

Normal driving with as few stops as possible. I've lived this situation many times and it is also very frequently questioned by newbies here.

When the battery has been disconnected long enough, the ECU loses the residual charge that allows it to hold settings it has learned. Upon reconnection of the battery, it must go through a fresh learning cycle.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2018, 09:19 AM   #5
Byron05

I don't know exactly how i did it but it's fixed now. All i did was put the car in drive turn on the emergency brakes and use all the possible A/C and heater combinations (my A/C wasn't working either after the battery change).

My yard has a slight slope so that was enough that the car wouldn't move by itself when in drive.

I dunno i still might attempt to clean the throttle body sometime since i already bought a ratchet set and the cleaner.

Does anyone know where i could find the english manual for this car with this kind of information (adjusting the A/C to fix a low idle)? I ordered car this from Japan so almost all of the manuals etc that it came with is in Japanese.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2018, 09:36 AM   #6
WeeYari

You did nothing special. It was just a matter of the engine having enough total run time to enable the ECU to get everything figured out.