Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-27-2007, 08:05 AM   #1
xtrred

Drives: 02 wrx wagon to 07 yaris sedan
Sedan - Trunk mounted bike rack

I'm looking to get a bike rack to carry my DH bike around. No roof rack, as it KILLS gass milage, and there's absolutely nothing easy about getting it into the car. My reservations are that 1) can the trunk handle the straps onwhich hold to the sheet metal & 2) has anyone tried one that they like or dislike?

Thanks
-M
xtrred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:37 AM   #2
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrred View Post
I'm looking to get a bike rack to carry my DH bike around. No roof rack, as it KILLS gass milage, and there's absolutely nothing easy about getting it into the car. My reservations are that 1) can the trunk handle the straps onwhich hold to the sheet metal & 2) has anyone tried one that they like or dislike?

Thanks
-M
not sure about a trunk mount but you could buy a hitch, and a thule hitch mount bike rack
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:42 AM   #3
Thotprawsis

Drives: '07 Blazin' Blue LB
I'm not sure if the trunk lid could handle it. I'm with "punch" on this one. Do the hitch thing. It's a little more money, but it won't scratch your paint and it's easier to put on and take off.
Thotprawsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:51 AM   #4
xtrred

I too am worried about the strength of the trunk, as mentioned above. My concern is that on longer trips, the yaris isn't usually the vehicle of choice. My wife's focus zx5 has cruise control, and that generally wins the travel battle. That also means that car would need a hitch as well. This is why I'm leaning towards a trunk mount at this point......
Old 06-27-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
Thotprawsis

Drives: '07 Blazin' Blue LB
I would imagine the trunk should be able to handle it, it's not like the strap on bike rack is new. You could always email them.
http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/t..._intercept.php
Thotprawsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
deebrown

Drives: Sedan
I have one of these, works well (held my bike on several cross country trips).

http://hollywoodracks.com/trunkRacks.html
deebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:53 PM   #7
xtrred

Thanks for the input. I have e-mailed them, but still have my reservations about the trunk mount with a 45lb bike on there. And that's only 1!!!
-M
Old 06-27-2007, 07:06 PM   #8
Mead

Drives: BSP Yaris LB 2007
I have the Walmart 'double back' hatch/trunk bike carrier on my LB. I use it once a week... it does the job. HOWEVER to be completely honest I noticed ever so slight wavy metal on the top of the hatch where the straps make contact (BTW I also use foam padding to prevent scratches) No one else notices it so maybe it's just me.
Mead is offline   Reply With Quote