Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-21-2016, 08:08 AM   #19
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
Not sure why but every time i am along side an Echo and we're driving etc maybe because of it's lighter weight the ECHO has more go than my Yaris.Is the ECHO more responsive? maybe because it has a cable throttle not drive by wire. The Yaris needs a 1.8 ltr unit in it IMO. The 1.3 and 1.5 is perfect for the ECHO.
Yes stock for stock the Echo was the better performing car. But the Yaris has a much more luxurious interior.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:48 AM   #20
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
BLKHILLSGUY, do not pretend that you have any authority to tell me what to do. Not here, not anywhere, not ever.
Hurry, somebody call the wahaaaaambulance.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:15 PM   #21
yul b. nekst

Drives: 2015 Yaris
Me, too!!!!

Name:  1119150808a.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  167.9 KB

I am SOOOOO hoping this brand, spanking new 2015 (can't sell the manual, I guess) Yaris treats me well!!! My 2002 Echo gave a little more than 325k, before a leaking gas tank made me put her down. I then went last year and bought a 2015 Jeep Patriot. Actually had it built for me. What a POS!! Traded (up, I hope) for this new Yaris because I'm hoping I get the life, reliability and mpg's my Echo gave me. My Echo gave me upper 30's in the winter and upper 40's in the summer. So far, with the 5 speed manual, I'm getting mid to upper 30's for mpg! Of course there's less than 1000 miles on it, but it can only get better, right?
yul b. nekst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #22
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Good luck, yul b. nekst. I wish you well. I've had my Yaris since Dec. 2010, and zero problems, thus far. Around 53,000 miles. I can only hope that my Yaris lasts as long as your Echo. My goal for my Yaris is 300,000 miles, actually. Any thing after that, gravy. By the way, I love those old Echos.....
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:30 AM   #23
BLKHILLSGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by yul b. nekst View Post
Attachment 56738

I am SOOOOO hoping this brand, spanking new 2015 (can't sell the manual, I guess) Yaris treats me well!!! My 2002 Echo gave a little more than 325k, before a leaking gas tank made me put her down. I then went last year and bought a 2015 Jeep Patriot. Actually had it built for me. What a POS!! Traded (up, I hope) for this new Yaris because I'm hoping I get the life, reliability and mpg's my Echo gave me. My Echo gave me upper 30's in the winter and upper 40's in the summer. So far, with the 5 speed manual, I'm getting mid to upper 30's for mpg! Of course there's less than 1000 miles on it, but it can only get better, right?
Welcome with your new Yaris. I had an Echo, as did my brother. Good cars. Lighter than the Yaris so it's got slightly better gas mileage. But it felt "cheaper" too. The Yaris feels more solid to me. And I've had an 11 Yaris and currently drive a 15 Yaris SE. I'm averaging 38 to 39 mpg in winter here in S Dakota. Not too bad at all. In the summer I got about 40. I have a manual transmission. It seems to get better mileage when I push it a little harder. The 15 Yaris SE is much more comfortable than my Echo or 11 Yaris. And sorry about your Jeep. They have really shoddy build quality, although I do love the looks of the Wrangler. But I could never buy a Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep for the reliability alone. Let us know how you like your Yaris.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:34 AM   #24
rabbito

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris Sedan (Vios)
stock i got about 350~400km full tank (42liter) sometimes 300~350km..which sucks balls with high fuel price of 91 in thailand..now my car has E85 fuel conversion with header, exhaust system etc..i get about 300~350km full tank..i drive like a maniac and im satisfied with the fuel consumption

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Electric: Volt Stablizer & Multi gauge obd2
Cosmetic: Toyota red emblem
rabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #25
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Here's my tale of three cars.

I had a 2004 Echo RS hatchback and it was the most fun car I ever had. I put a performance exhaust on it, and got better fuel economy as well as noticably better performance. Then it got side-swiped by great big rusty old Mercedez on Boxing Day, and written off. :-( The damage wasn't that huge, but insurance didn't want to repair the car based on its current book price. It really says something about the that little car's build, that it could take a hit from such a big car and have so little real damage.

So then the insurance gave me a 2015/2016 Yaris hatchback rental car. I did not like it! It was considerably bigger and heavier, and with the 1.8 lire engine felt a lot like my wife's Camry to drive. Not fun. And the dashboard was a big boxy thing that looked like it came out of a 1970s pickup truck or Volvo, lacking all the useful storage compartments of the Echo and earlier Yarii. The radiator grill also has a huge whale mouth look, which is darnn fugly. And these cars are half Mazda. I never want to buy one.

Thankfully, I managed to buy a 2006 Yaris RS hatchback. It feels way more like the Echo, but has a nicer interior and some neat options. The dashboard looks kind of sci-fi'ish and has even more neat little compartments. To me it honestly feels very little different than my Echo RS. I'm happy again with my fun car. :D Now let the performance mods begin!
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:41 PM   #26
honegod

Drives: 2002 ECHO
Am sitting in my 02 Echo on break @ work. Stock 1.5, rear sway, kyb struts & shocks , Pirelli P4 185 on stock steel rims.
My major snivel is the auto tranny. Way slow on gear changes.big pause in response to throttle input. Anj upgrade wouls be sweet. LOVE it otherwise.
honegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:23 AM   #27
tarkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by honegod View Post
My major snivel is the auto tranny. Way slow on gear changes.big pause in response to throttle input. Anj upgrade wouls be sweet. LOVE it otherwise.
I've gotten used to manually switching down a gear, rather than waiting for kickdown to kick in. Putting in a performance muffler also improved low end power, so I didn't need to gear down so often.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2016, 09:23 PM   #28
BLKHILLSGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
Here's my tale of three cars.

I had a 2004 Echo RS hatchback and it was the most fun car I ever had. I put a performance exhaust on it, and got better fuel economy as well as noticably better performance. Then it got side-swiped by great big rusty old Mercedez on Boxing Day, and written off. :-( The damage wasn't that huge, but insurance didn't want to repair the car based on its current book price. It really says something about the that little car's build, that it could take a hit from such a big car and have so little real damage.

So then the insurance gave me a 2015/2016 Yaris hatchback rental car. I did not like it! It was considerably bigger and heavier, and with the 1.8 lire engine felt a lot like my wife's Camry to drive. Not fun. And the dashboard was a big boxy thing that looked like it came out of a 1970s pickup truck or Volvo, lacking all the useful storage compartments of the Echo and earlier Yarii. The radiator grill also has a huge whale mouth look, which is darnn fugly. And these cars are half Mazda. I never want to buy one.

Thankfully, I managed to buy a 2006 Yaris RS hatchback. It feels way more like the Echo, but has a nicer interior and some neat options. The dashboard looks kind of sci-fi'ish and has even more neat little compartments. To me it honestly feels very little different than my Echo RS. I'm happy again with my fun car. :D Now let the performance mods begin!
Sounds like you were driving the Mazda 2. We are still driving a Toyota made Yaris in the US until 17. The new Mazda 2 Yaris is not attractive.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:13 PM   #29
rabbito

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris Sedan (Vios)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
I've gotten used to manually switching down a gear, rather than waiting for kickdown to kick in. Putting in a performance muffler also improved low end power, so I didn't need to gear down so often.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
yes! i down shift on my auto too..finally i see somebody who actually use their gears...

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Electric: Volt Stablizer & Multi gauge obd2
Cosmetic: Toyota red emblem
rabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:58 PM   #30
tarkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKHILLSGUY View Post
Sounds like you were driving the Mazda 2. We are still driving a Toyota made Yaris in the US until 17. The new Mazda 2 Yaris is not attractive.
So maybe Toyota is selling a different Yaris over here north of the border? I have seen a few Mazda 2s over here, which apparently they don't yet have in the US. Does the current 2016 Yaris in the US still have the nicely angled dash with all the handy flip-open compartments, and not that big ugly box? Also, the Yaris in this thread also appears to have the big whale mouth grille, like my rented one - http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...321#post778321 I'm somewhat confused at this point, but still convinced that I like the 2nd gen Yaris the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbito View Post
yes! i down shift on my auto too..finally i see somebody who actually use their gears...
I used to mainly drive manual in the past. I also go into neutral at lights or when cruising downhill :-)
Old 03-14-2016, 09:40 PM   #31
BLKHILLSGUY

The 16 Yaris in Canada is a Mazda 2. The 3rd generation Toyota made Yaris hatchback is still sold in the US. It was updated in 15. In 17 it will likely disappear, and it if does reappear it will be the Mazda 2. Gas is cheap, and people aren't buying small cars. I am so glad I got my 15 Yaris SE. It is much nicer than my 11 Yaris. The interior is very much improved. Same engine and 4 speed auto. They did add a new clutch in the 15/16 revision. It is made entirely in France and also designed there. It looks like a European car. I love my 15 SE. I also bought the 5 speed. I don't care for automatics that much. That's why I sold my 13 Avalon Limited. It was a boring automatic.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:29 AM   #32
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKHILLSGUY View Post
The new Yaris still doesn't have a 1.8 engine. It has the same old 17years old 1nz-fe...

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2016, 08:52 PM   #33
yul b. nekst

Drives: 2015 Yaris
Got about 3k on the new '15 with the 5 speed manual, and I hit 40 mpg twice, but I'm averaging about 37/38. I'm hoping the warmer weather kicks it up a bit. Funny thing about my Echo that no one could explain, I actually got better gas mileage with the A/C on!! So far, so good! This sure beats the stuffing out of my POS Patriot I traded it in for!! I shouldn't have to worry about the tranny going in the first year I'll bet!!
yul b. nekst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:41 AM   #34
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
The new Yaris still doesn't have a 1.8 engine. It has the same old 17years old 1nz-fe...

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Good! And it will have the same one another 17 years from now if all goes well!

Although I would maybe buy another one if they come out with the 1.0 liter.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:56 PM   #35
cparker

Drives: 2014 Yaris L
The Consumer Reports buying guide shows the 2012 Yaris as much better than average in reliability .Electrical is better than average. Climate system is better than average. Body integrity is average. All other components like engine, transmission, cooling system show MUCH better than average. They get data from consumer surveys. They don't show all years if they don't get enough data. They didn't get enough data for years 2011 , 2013 , and 2014. I don't imagine there would be much difference. But the 2009 showed worse than average in minor engine repairs, like oil leaks , belts, engine mounts etc.. Much worse than average with paint and trim. Worse than average with body integrity. The highway mileage of 36 mpg is an EPA figure and If I'm not mistaken, it's probably combined city and highway mpg. If you keep your hwy. speed at 65 mph or below you should have little trouble getting at least 40 mpg . That's also assuming you accelerate gently.
cparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:35 PM   #36
Brunno One

Drives: 2013 TOYOTA YARIS SPORT.
A friend of mine has a 2001 TOYOTA Echo with over 330,000 miles on it.
Little car has been reliable, but the engine is giving-up (lack of proper maintainance)

I told him about swapping-in a newer (young) 1.5L 1NZ-FE engine out of a 2013-2015 Yaris found at the local Junkyard.

I was told I got to keep the Echo's cable throttle system because the Yaris use an electronic throttle.
Brunno One is offline   Reply With Quote