Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-24-2017, 09:32 AM   #1
JSCIII

Drives: Yaris Hatchback 3 Door USA Ver
Yaris Steering Problem! Need help!!

Hello Folks!

It's been a while since I write here, I've been having some major issues with my '08 2 door Hatchback, I love the car and everything but pretty much. I feel like crushing it right now.

The car started pulling to the left on his own on Monday randomly, no bumps or any particular situation with it. I thought it needed an alignment but upon putting it on jacks, I found that the steering wheel is pulling to the left on its own and I can hear the EPS engine on in the back of my dashboard.

Weird thing is, there's no P/S light on or any codes, got the car to a Toyota dealer and upon plugging it on to the scanner, it stopped turning left, no actions taken by the mechanic, just plugged the car into the scanner.

A few miles later, same thing again, wheel turns left on its own, anyone has had this problem ever?? I'm desperate and really bummed, I bought this beautiful car after a car wreck with my old corolla '98 and thought this was going to be much better but turns out it didn't. Thank you folks for your help and comments in advanced!!
JSCIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:12 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Sorry to hear that. Haven't seen anything like that reported before. If it were me, I'd leave it with Toyota, or your trusted mechanic, for a few days so they could drive it a bit and try to replicate.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:30 AM   #3
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
yeah. dealership time. I would not take it anywhere else, unless it's a dedicated Toyota repair facility. (in Denver there is a few, like ToyTech...)
most likely a fault in the EPS controller and will need replacement. idk if there is a zeroing procedure for Toyota, I would think there is, but i'm not sure...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:29 PM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Try disabling the power to the EPS. If your problem disappears there's probably issue with the steering angle sensor or load sensor.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:05 AM   #5
JSCIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Try disabling the power to the EPS. If your problem disappears there's probably issue with the steering angle sensor or load sensor.
Spot-on!!! Took out the angle sensor and found a short-circuit, cleaned the component and mounted back everything, issue is gone! Thank you folks!! 👌🏼👌🏼
Old 02-27-2017, 08:11 AM   #6
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Yaris electric steering assist short circuit

What caused the short circuit?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:04 AM   #7
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCIII View Post
Spot-on!!! Took out the angle sensor and found a short-circuit, cleaned the component and mounted back everything, issue is gone! Thank you folks!! 👌🏼👌🏼
Old 02-27-2017, 11:47 AM   #8
dogsridewith

um. electrically conductive contaminant caused the short?
Old 03-08-2017, 03:17 PM   #9
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Great, glad your fixed up.
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #10
AzianCuz
conundrum562

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Type S
Send a message via AIM to AzianCuz
Was it a C1515 code?

I've undone my calibration with a scan tool, now I need help...
BLITZ S/C|MICRO-IMAGE CRANK PULLEY|NST ALT;WATER PUMP PULLEY|BLITZ SUS SHORT RAM;HEADERS;AXLE-BACK EXHAUST|2.25 PIPING|1ZZ INJECTORS|OPTIMA YELLOW-TOP|GTSPEC FRONT STRUT;MID LOWER CHASSIS;4 PNT FRNT LOWER BRACE|WHITELINE REAR SWAY;BUSHINGS|TANABE FRNT SWAY|TRD LOWERING SPRINGS/SHOCKS|R1 CONCEPT DRILLED & SLOTTED ROTORS|EBC GREEN PADS|THROTTLE SPACER|XTREME PERFORMANCE CHIP MOD
AzianCuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:11 PM   #11
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

link
Old 05-22-2017, 04:03 AM   #12
JSCIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
um. electrically conductive contaminant caused the short?
Short was caused by the wires, seems to be they're broken. Basically nothing is damaged but the cables that go from the computer to the control module need replacing.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:03 AM   #13
dogsridewith

anything to do with "spiral cable?" (which was a factory recall on my 2007 hatch)

Tags
2008, eps, hatchback, steering issue, yaris