Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr
Can Toyota Still Manage to Build an Awful Car? - LA Times Article

Just caught this in the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...autos-highway1

Along with this commentary:

http://omidr.typepad.com/torque/2007...yota_stil.html

Ooohh it's gonna stir up some emotions around here
Razr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:09 PM   #2
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
There is no way in hell I could have gotten into a Fit or Versa for $12,560.
Thats the bottom line. Its also the better looking of the 3 IMO.
From what I have been reading it also gets better MPG.

I am not sure what people expect for this kind of money.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:39 PM   #3
Slummy

Drives: Black LB
Hearing things like this suck. But in no way does it change how I feel about the Yaris.

And as for roominess, my brother-in-law is 5' 8" and 220, he's not small. every time he rides in the back he comments on how much space there is. So did the 6' something sales guy on my test drive.
Slummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:45 PM   #4
Vervepipes
CowCountry Hornet Handler

Drives: '08 Sedan
Is the American model differant then the Canadian model? I recall my sticker stating 109HP and 40/50mpg city/hwy. My opinion on this story: A subcompact will never be a Cadillac, those who buy one or look at one (any subcompact) know this getting into one. My $0.02
Vervepipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
eijikikimaru
Q(','Q)

Drives: 3dr Meteroite
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrbill View Post
I am not sure what people expect for this kind of money.
Seriously! What do they want? A Lexus type interior for the price or a Yaris?

I too agree that it looks better of the 4 (Fit,Versa, Aveo, & Yaris)
eijikikimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
What idiots!

I got my Yaris a week ago, after driving a Jeep Cherokee for 3 years. There is more leg room in the back seat in the Yaris than it is in the Cherokee. And getting in the back in the 4 door Cherokee is about as difficult as getting in the back of the hatchback Yaris.

And how can one compare a TOYOTA with a CHEVY???

First passenger reaction I had: wow it's really roomy inside.
Second passenger reaction: incredibile how much room you have inside.
Third passenger: wow, it's so silent (and that was said with a slightly open window doing 60 mph on the highway).

And by the way, the Yaris has a bigger range than the Jeep and it only costs $35 to fill up, compared to $65.

Downside: I admit, I can't go to IKEA, buy a computer table, put it in the trunk and close it ;-)

Bottom line, I love my Yaris and I hope there will be more people like me out there.

Go Yaris!
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:12 PM   #7
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
i read some lack luster reviews about it too, they complained that it was as exciting to drive as a prius and very cheap and basic and a long list of other complaints.

here is my take. the car is fun to drive because of the great brakes and very good handling, the acceleration isnt much, but its better than the other cars in its class.

cheap interior....WTF do these reviewers expect? its a 11k car...it isnt going to be decked out in leather.

its very spacious compared to most compacts and sub compacts, and you cant argue with the MPG.

people that give this car a crappy review are the same people that drive BMW's and rave about lexus' and benz's...its not a luxury sport sedan, so these people rag on them.

I am glad I didnt bother to give alot of thought into their reviews untill I saw and drove a yaris. Now I am quite satisfied with my little yaris.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:11 PM   #8
rstb88

Drives: Silver Hatchback
He failed to mention that the Yaris saled as the number 1 car of it segment for four years in Europe. Can Europe be wrong in good cars. Did the Chevy Vega or Ford Pinto come from Europe. No. This guy is expecting luxurious options for under 11grand. He should be clinically insane, mpg is great in this car and the Hondas engine is too big, and tha company has went a little to ricey mainstream for me anyways. I have also heard thae Nissans quality has gone down aswells as the driveability of its cars.

rstb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:15 PM   #9
St_G

Drives: Black 2007 Yaris Liftback 1.5
I don't find myself really disagreeing with the negatives that people bring up in reviews, it's just that they don't tend to be things that bother me or mattered much when I was making my choice. And I'm often baffled by the seeminly across the board inability of car critics to recognize that, when you're shopping in this range, amounts like $2,000 that would be insignificant in comparing more expensive cars, make a difference. I had a very strict budget, since I was paying cash. The only Fit in town when i went shopping was over $16,500. While, apart from looks, I do think the Fit is in many ways a better car (at least in the ways that count to reviewers), it's not THAT much better. And if I were shopping in the $16.5K+ range, there a other cars I'd be looking at over the Fit anyway...

I don't know of any car that I could have gotten for just a hair over $14K, outfitted as my Yaris is, with stylish looks, great mileage and legendary reliability. Period.
St_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:18 PM   #10
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post

the car is fun to drive because of the great brakes and very good handling,
WTF!!! What kind of cars have you owned that make you think the Yaris handles well? It is the worst handling car I have ever owned. It feels like I am going to scrape the door handles on the ground when I take a corner at speed.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:19 PM   #11
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I think a lot of the sound complaints come from some of these so-called reviewers that don't know what a smaller, less powerful engine is for.

My 5MT Yaris is hardly ever revved over 2,000 RPM and I barely hear a thing, but in almost every review that bashes the Yaris I see something like "You have to peg the throttle to the floor and really rev it up to get any power out of it, and then you have to stay standing on the throttle." right before I read their complaint of too much engine noise.

I don't know any engine on the consumer market that is quiet at 6,000 RPM.

I also have yet to grasp why anyone would think a USD $12k car should have fine interior appointments. I've read everything from it looking cheap to it having too much plastic to the missing navigation system and bluetooth, etc. I just shake my head as lots of those things are just now entering the sub $30k market, and if cars were always about gadgets then the Cadillac Escalade with its 10 MPG and micro-climate system and quad-screen DVD system and ported radio system with bluetooth and voice dialing and heated seats and stuff, crap, and flam would be the best selling car of all time, and we'd all have $800/month car payments instead of $250.

All these reviewers keep saying that the Fit is a better bang for the buck but I just don't see it. Worse mileage, worse emissions, higher cost and a whole slew of common reported issues.

I'm also tired of hearing that the Yaris is too small. Too small for who? Too small for what? How much space do you need to commute to work or get groceries or carry some cardboard to the recycling plant or visit a friend? Is room for 5 too little space to take a friend or 2 to lunch? Do some people really believe you have to have a 5,000 pound SUV just to pick up the milk?

It's as if they're out to get the Yaris just because it's not the same as the cookie cutter American vehicles on the road.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.

Last edited by BailOut; 03-22-2007 at 11:39 PM.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:55 PM   #12
MDF

Drives: Getting a Yaris soon
I give that review a failing grade. The reviewer with his one brain cell is an idiot, and the LA Times suck...

The Yaris is awesome...

Last edited by MDF; 03-22-2007 at 11:58 PM. Reason: added a greater insult to reviewer
MDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:12 AM   #13
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
well said bailout,

the article is primarily about brand-bashing, which he alludes to himself. he apparently has a chip on his shoulder concerning toyota's success.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:02 AM   #14
Bretsuaz

Drives: Yaris sedan
I find it humorous that Toyota is always the benchmark. That really tells the whole story. Obviously, they build superior vehicles. It is no wonder they are so successful.

Im not sure if this article was really about the Yaris. He seemed to spend more time bashing Toyota for their success, and somewhat predicting a decline. Something I just dont see happening.

I think well see alot more of this in the future, especially with the US automakers now on life support.
Bretsuaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:58 AM   #15
Pavel Olavich
Banned

I love my Yaris, but in truth it does not handle that well...it is bouncy at freeway speeds....kind of floaty...but not the worse I've experienced.
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:03 AM   #16
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
...My 5MT Yaris is hardly ever revved over 2,000 RPM and I barely hear a thing...
If you rarely tack over 2,000 RPM with your manual Yaris, you are often lugging the engine...not good, not good at all. That engine wants and needs to rev'd past 3,000 when shifting up...otherwise you will damage it over time. The Yari engine has shit torque at and below 2,000!
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:29 AM   #17
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
This Dudes email address is at the bottom of the article

here is the email I sent him:

I don't agree with anything you have said...

Please check out www.yarisworld.com

and see what the owners of this car really think...

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4523

This Thread is about YOUR article!

Thank you

Nutzoids

Lets hope he checks us out!

Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:37 AM   #18
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Huge communities of enthusiasts containing thousands of members from all over the world from all walks of life don't spring up over automaker failures. Toyota has lost touch? I know 3,000 people that would tell him he's wrong.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote