Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
The Colonel

Drives: looking
Any suggestions

I am new to the forum.. have done some on line research and decided a Yaris is the next car for me. Any suggestions to model, options, price, etc.. all information is appreciated.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
I am new to the forum.. have done some on line research and decided a Yaris is the next car for me. Any suggestions to model, options, price, etc.. all information is appreciated.
Just test drive the models with the options you like. If mileage is the main reason you might want to look for a manual. If not, then the automatic might be a better choice. You can't go wrong with either. In the end, you will love what ever choice you make. Don't be afraid to load up on the options. Its easier to get them as factory installed and look better too.

The reliability of Toyota and the great mileage you get from a Yaris are a winning combination! Good luck with your decision!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
Just test drive the models with the options you like. If mileage is the main reason you might want to look for a manual. If not, then the automatic might be a better choice. You can't go wrong with either. In the end, you will love what ever choice you make. Don't be afraid to load up on the options. Its easier to get them as factory installed and look better too.

The reliability of Toyota and the great mileage you get from a Yaris are a winning combination! Good luck with your decision!
Nicely said!
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
I prefer the look of the liftback over the sedan .. but that's just me. I also love some of the options like the power package (power windows / power locks etc) Even though I have a 5 speed on my Yaris .. I do prefer the automatic transmission. Just a laziness thing ... as I am just tired of shifting. But overall I love my Yaris . . I don't think you can go wrong with whatever Yaris you select.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Go for the 1.5 ltr 4 door lift-back, 5 speed manual, and color black. Add some accessories to your Yaris like a rear spoiler.Mag

rims and so on.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
lol.

Are you looking at brand new or used? It seems that cars from 2010 on are just as expensive now as the new ones. Plus with dealers offering up full maintenance to get people to buy new it is a great time to get a new one.
I'd say find a few cars you like at a few dealerships, go there and negotiate, take that deal to other dealerships, and rinse and repeat until you get the best deal.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
The Colonel

Thanks for the replies... probably looking at a 4 door lift back.. and Why? you are correct.. the prices on a 1 or 2 year old used are pretty high... so might be looking at new..
Old 07-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
At least with getting new .. you are not buying someone else's problems.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
The Colonel

In the real world.. how much difference is there between the listed and the actual MPG.. and MPG manual vs auto?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

it really depends how you drive, but most people can easily get mid 30's.

Right now my car is usually only driven on short trips and i keep the revs between 2000 and 3000, and i usually get at least 36 mpg.

MPG wise there does not seem to be that much difference between the manual and auto. The Yaris auto seems to be really good for gas mileage.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Well, it might help if you told us a little about yourself!

Are you "young," "middle aged" or "seasoned" (as some would like to call it!)?

Are you looking for a commuter car, or something sporty?

What do you want out of a Yaris? What do you need?

I have a 2008 liftback with manual windows and locks and the automatic gearbox. I use mine mainly to commute back and forth to work and to run errands. I don't do any long-distance driving in it (we have a Honda minivan for road trips), but I have taken it on trips that take 6-8+ hours and have had no problems with it. It is a light car that will move around a bit on a breezy day because it is a light vehicle.

I love the utility of the hatchback and since I don't usually take passengers I was happy with a two-door.

As I am a kid at heart, I added mag wheels, a spoiler, tinted windows and several other modifications that make it look like a Hot Wheels car! I like the originality of the Yaris, you don't see them as much as Civics or Neons, and I always smile when I see another liftback!

Lastly, the sedan and liftback are two different vehicles, they only share the same name in this country. There are a lot of features that they don't share, like the driver's side glovebox on the older hatches. In Asia they are sold as separate models.

Hope that helps!

Cheers! M2
Old 07-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #12
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
In the real world.. how much difference is there between the listed and the actual MPG.. and MPG manual vs auto?
From what have read on this forum, and from personal experience, I can safely say that you get more mileage than the EPA listed. My 4 door auto liftback is rated at 31 City and 35 Highway and I consistently get 33 city and 37-39 highway. And that is going 75 mph on the interstate....not trying to poke along at 60 or 65.

The manual should get you a little higher mileage.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #13
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
I have the 2007, 3 dr LB. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's great.But it's a good all rounder.
Needs a bit more power. The engine lacks character? but when you've owned for 4 years and a bit like me.You forget all that and see it for what it is a good all round vehicle.That is extremely reliable.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:54 AM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
^^^^^ I also have a 2007 3-door Liftback. Mine is a 5-speed manual and I believe the 'EPA MPG' from the factory sticker was 36 city and 40 highway.I purchased it new in October of 2006. My worst tank was just over 32 MPG combined and my best tank was a bit over 48 MPG combined. The lifetime average for the car is just a bit over 40 MPG combined. I just hit 220,000 miles yesterday. It continues to be extremely reliable.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #15
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

lol @ mag wheels, you really are dating yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Well, it might help if you told us a little about yourself!

Are you "young," "middle aged" or "seasoned" (as some would like to call it!)?

Are you looking for a commuter car, or something sporty?

What do you want out of a Yaris? What do you need?

I have a 2008 liftback with manual windows and locks and the automatic gearbox. I use mine mainly to commute back and forth to work and to run errands. I don't do any long-distance driving in it (we have a Honda minivan for road trips), but I have taken it on trips that take 6-8+ hours and have had no problems with it. It is a light car that will move around a bit on a breezy day because it is a light vehicle.

I love the utility of the hatchback and since I don't usually take passengers I was happy with a two-door.

As I am a kid at heart, I added mag wheels, a spoiler, tinted windows and several other modifications that make it look like a Hot Wheels car! I like the originality of the Yaris, you don't see them as much as Civics or Neons, and I always smile when I see another liftback!

Lastly, the sedan and liftback are two different vehicles, they only share the same name in this country. There are a lot of features that they don't share, like the driver's side glovebox on the older hatches. In Asia they are sold as separate models.

Hope that helps!

Cheers! M2