Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #19
PhillyG

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
T
The lugs should be torqued in steps using a criss-cross pattern to max. 75 lb/ft. I've never seen a shop torque in steps. A grease monkey with an impact gun may have over torqued your wheels and distorted your once fine rotors. Ford Windstars were famous for this occuring. I'd be pissed!
This is why is save money, time and hassle by doing most repairs and all maintenance myself in the driveway. Oh, I so miss having a garage.
im a grease monkey... i torque in steps....but you are correct.. a LOT of shops dont.. i just prefer to take that extra 8 seconds per car and do it right. 2 secs per wheel isnt too much. techs probably get tired of having someone stare at them while they work. doesnt bother me
PhillyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #20
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Same here. Regular steel lug nuts always get torque-sticked. Aluminum wheels always get torque-wrenched w/ special mag sockets. Sleeved nuts get torque-wrenched.

While I'm at it, always check the balance [no extra charge] when doing rotations; takes less than 5 minutes but well worth my time to avoid the hated come-backs.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #21
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
This was NEW tires and NO rotation. Balance is OK - could be better, but Im not liking these tires on this car (pirelli P4 seasons). So far my Firestone SNOWS (winterforce) have been best by far !!?
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #22
PhillyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
This was NEW tires and NO rotation. Balance is OK - could be better, but Im not liking these tires on this car (pirelli P4 seasons). So far my Firestone SNOWS (winterforce) have been best by far !!?
ya gotta start small with things like these... take each tire off individually.. check for rust around the pilot bore..(if there is some.. wire brush it off) remount the tires and torque appropriately in steps.. it really could be that simple. if that is not it.. then you really might have warped rotors. got a dial indicator? if so.. check the rotors when you have the wheel off.. if not.. take it to a tire shop you trust..(i know thats not sayin much but...) usually the problem can be found with the process of elimination.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #23
PhillyG

ps.. if the problem only occurs when you brake then it is in the braking system.. if it occurs at any given time (even when not on the brakes) then it is usually in the tire/wheel combo.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #24
fe550

Drives: 2008 yaris sedan
PhillyG is right. the big question is ...does this shaking occur when braking only? I'm a mechanic and the 1st I do after some yahoo at the dealership or alignment shop touches my vehicals - is get home and re-torque all the lugs. Because, yes, unevenly torqued lug nuts will warp rotors after heating and cooling cycles. After working in shops for the past 15 years i wouldn't take my car to the dealership if oil changes were free!
fe550 is offline   Reply With Quote