Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Warped Rotors - Help!

After the Toyota dealer did the 30K sevice and rotated my tires, I had to slow quick to get an exit on the expressway - now my rotors are warped bad. This is causing a lot of shaking in the steering. Should I pull the wheels?
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
TheSilkySmooth

can the wrong lug nut torque be the cause of this - when they rotated the tires?
Old 05-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
TheSilkySmooth

I just jacked the car and retorqued the lug nuts. One nut on the DS wheel was very tight. thats all i found. Hope this helps. If not maybe the dealer will warranty them since the brake pad life was less then 1/2 worn when they inspected them last month.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
TheSilkySmooth

retorquing helpd a LOT but not a complete cure. Tolerable now though. I love talking to myself ;)
Old 05-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
matanfr
diaper change in a yaris

Drives: 2009 multimode hatchback 5dr
silkysmooth,
go to a dealership or a shop specialzed in tires and check the balance and braking momentum and direction using a special machine.i think the dealership screwed your car's balance and wheel alignment.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
They shouldn't have messed up the alignment or balance if all they did was a rotation; probably would have to check repair order to be sure. They probably don't like wasting the extra time to grab up a torque-stick or torque wrench, so that could have been part of the problem, as you already suspected. I'd have the run-out checked if the problem is still there.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
matanfr
diaper change in a yaris

Drives: 2009 multimode hatchback 5dr
1st toyota,if the dealership rotated the tires,i think they switched positions (the manual in my yaris states that a switch of the tires must be applied,i.e front right goes to lower left) and messed up the balance and alignment. applying additional torque CAN prevent additional turns of the tire around it's axis (like an "8" form if you look from the side and back) but can't prevent the additional pressure applied by a bad-aligned tire and tire-plate.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
1stToyota

Or we can keep it simple:

-over torqued [warped hub flange/rotor]
-not torqued [uneven torque]
-rotation [shouldn't make noticeable difference in balance - unless they removed/added weight on purpose...shouldn't effect alignment - unless there's noticeable uneven tread wear]

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 05-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
TheSilkySmooth

I had NEW tires put on (snows off the OEM rims w/ TPMS) and had an alignment done. This car had NO problems until I brought it to the dealer for its "first service". I think they break things to drum up business. Seem to happen to every car Ive owned! So: overheating, bad alignment , warped rotors, missing coolant, scratched hood ..... what next? I worry since my 3/36 B.B is up in a month or so.

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 05-26-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: 3/36
Old 05-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
etheliters

Drives: 07 yaris hatch
Same dealer every time?
Old 05-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #11
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
I had NEW tires put on (snows off the OEM rims w/ TPMS) and had an alignment done. This car had NO problems until I brought it to the dealer for its "first service". I think they break things to drum up business. Seem to happen to every car Ive owned! So: overheating, bad alignment , warped rotors, missing coolant, scratched hood ..... what next? I worry since my 3/36 B.B is up in a month or so.
If they did all that then Matanfr could be right about the dealership *screwing your car's balance and wheel alignment" ...or maybe even bent one of your rims, depending on what sort of tire machine they use.
I think I'd have one of the employees at the dealership go with you for a test drive and see what they want to do about those new problems.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 05-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #12
TheSilkySmooth

Now I cant get out of work to do any of this.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #13
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Most likely what happend is one of the wheel weights has either fallen off the back wheels or was improperly imbalanced. Once they are rotated to the front and if they are imbalanced. You will have a vibration issue at high speeds that will be clearly felt through the steering wheel. I run a automotive shop and i can say atleast once every other week i have a customer that comes back complaining of a vibration in the steering wheel at high speeds after we perform our oil change with tire rotation service.

After performing a wheel balance the issue is correct. Nothing that is done wrong on the service stations fault. If things were put back to the way they were the vibration issue would go away.

Now if you have a vibration issue when braking that is a total different story. That would indicate overtightend wheels that warped the rotors. But if you are feeling it in the steering wheel they have to be severely warped. You would have the pedal pulsating as if the ABS was coming on all the time when you brake. If not its a simple tire balance issue. Either take it back to the dealer and have them do a tire balance or the place that installed your tires for you. Most tire places put the 2 worse improperly balanced tires in the back when installed a set of new tires. So any minor vibration wont happen for awile. Apparently yours was more than jsut a little off.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #14
TheSilkySmooth

Tires were not rotated. Wheel balance feels OK ( not PERFECT but livable). I'm not wild about the new pirelli p4 season on this car (they were GREAT on the rav4!) Do yaris rear drums pop right off or are they held on by the wheel bearing ? - maybe the dealer over-torqued the rear drum wheel bearing nut after a rear brake inspection. This all relate to my other thread about a "airplanne propeller" noise the car is making now at 40 -50 mph. Guessing it Must be a badwheel bearing or CV.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
the rear drums come right off unless road debris/rust has got them stuck. There are two threaded holes you can use bolts in there to force them off.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #16
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
The Yaris wheel lug torque rating is only 75 lb/ft which is lower than other vehicles I've owned.
The lugs should be torqued in steps using a criss-cross pattern to max. 75 lb/ft. I've never seen a shop torque in steps. A grease monkey with an impact gun may have over torqued your wheels and distorted your once fine rotors. Ford Windstars were famous for this occuring. I'd be pissed!
This is why is save money, time and hassle by doing most repairs and all maintenance myself in the driveway. Oh, I so miss having a garage.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #17
dingbat

Drives: '10 3D Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
After the Toyota dealer did the 30K sevice and rotated my tires, I had to slow quick to get an exit on the expressway - now my rotors are warped bad. This is causing a lot of shaking in the steering. Should I pull the wheels?
Did the shaking start after the hard breaking? Hard breaking while turning can warp a rotor, especially if it's over/improperly torqued. Don't ask me why it happens, but I've done it myself on a couple of different vehichles.

Improper torquing can cause a warped rotor. Some older Subarus were especialy prone to this. Had a spec. of 65 ft/lbs. Barely past hand tight. Scary.

You said you have Pirellis? Check your tires very carefully for distortions in the sidewall and tread that could indicate a seperated belt. Of course, this would most likely cause symtoms all the time not just while breaking.
dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #18
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
the rear drums come right off unless road debris/rust has got them stuck. There are two threaded holes you can use bolts in there to force them off.
Thanks for this At least now I know now that the dealer didnt torque the rear wheel bearing too much during the safety brake check (they measure remaining lining thickness).