Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
toddbhowman

Drives: 2003 mazda protoge
yaris and vitz the same?

Hey Guys, I am seriously considering buying a liftback yaris this summer. I come from the honda camp, having previously owned and extesivley modded a 92 hatch and 96 coupe. my question to you it this: is the U.S. yaris the same as the JDM vitz? if not what is the difference. Also, is there alot of aftermarket support for the yaris. from browsing yarisworld it seems as if just the basics exist, ie: springs, axle back exhaust, wheels, cai. what about cams, race headers, ecu tunning, turbo/supercharger kits? Thank you in advance for your input.
toddbhowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
RogueYaris

Drives: 2015 Abs Red
Welcome to the forums! If you read around a bit more in the different sections like DIY, there's a little more than the basics but not much.

There are companies currently working on a turbo/supercharger for the Yaris but there isn't a time frame for completion yet.

Enjoy the site.
RogueYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Don't forget this is a new car. The parts you mention take time to develop.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:15 AM   #4
toddbhowman

i have a test drive today for a silver liftback 5spd. so far i like what i see. i still would like to know if the yaris is the same as the vitz, i.e: same engine and chassis. if so then the JDM stuff should fit right? I called koni yesterday and they have a set of struts/shocks in the works. should be out this summer!! thats what i ran on my civic and loved the way they handled, koni shocks/ground control coil overs. thanks again.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:28 AM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Yaris and Vitz are essentially the same, but there can be differences.

First of all, engine/transmission-wise. In Japan, they have our 1.5 1NZ-FE engine, but also a 1.3 engine, and a 1.0 engine, not to mention some models have a 4WD transmission. The chassis/engine/transmission combination we have is refered to as the NCP91, so you should base yourself on this when looking for stuff.

Body wise, they have the 5 door and 3 door versions. It's 99% the same as the USDM bodies, just that the USDM ones have a bigger rear bumper due to an additional rebar there due to some crash test requirements. This means that if you get a lip kit from Japan or other small rear bumper countries, it will not fit your US rear bumper without modification. You could change the whole rear bumper no problem if it fancies you, but you'll need to take out that rebar.

Interior accessories have differences too, some JDM models have an electronic climate control system, keyless entry and ignition, power folding mirrors, etc etc. And do keep in mind, yes, that Japan is right hand drive while the US is left hand drive!

You should also try and pick up the first issue of Syphon magazine, it's dedicated to compact import cars, and they had a feature on the differences between USDM and JDM Yaris and Fits. Worth a look!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
^^syphon mag is gonna be my first try for my car to be in there... but any way these two guys summed it up pretty well NCP91 is what your gonna wanna research....
Old 02-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #7
toddbhowman

Thanks alot for the feedback. I test drove a 5spd. hatch yesterday. I was totally impressed. Felt very solid and well built. Without the power package, but with the CD/MP3 player it was $13000usd. Does anyone know how much weight the power package adds? I could live without the power windows, but I have to have cruise. I have a 30 mile commute each day on a open highway. Also, I purchased most of my parts for my civic from options auto, passwordJDM and JHPA. options has only a few things for the yaris. Who specializes in the yaris and JDM vitz parts. thanks again.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:33 PM   #8
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbhowman View Post
Thanks alot for the feedback. I test drove a 5spd. hatch yesterday. I was totally impressed. Felt very solid and well built. Without the power package, but with the CD/MP3 player it was $13000usd. Does anyone know how much weight the power package adds? I could live without the power windows, but I have to have cruise. I have a 30 mile commute each day on a open highway. Also, I purchased most of my parts for my civic from options auto, passwordJDM and JHPA. options has only a few things for the yaris. Who specializes in the yaris and JDM vitz parts. thanks again.
Another Ohioan, BTW you can get the cheepy model (like many of us did) and add cruise. It is avalable as a Toyota Accessory and can be rolled into the price of the car... Check with many of the Vendors, for JDM parts and accessories
Old 02-22-2007, 08:53 PM   #9
BulletProofAuto

Drives: 00 itr
we specialize in jdm parts and actually supply many of those honda shops you mentioned. here is a good way to view the brands.

trd=mugen
c-one=spoon
then there are a bunch of other brands that make other parts. here is a little listing of them
http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com...lt.php?make=31
BulletProofAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:52 AM   #10
toddbhowman

John, your website is great. I will definetly be in touch when i get my yaris. I'm gonna check with the dealer about that cruise blackyaris. the feedback is excellent. thanks again.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:09 AM   #11
elsteverino889

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan black
I dont think there is enough aftermarket support, I love my car but iam seriouslly pissed on how the yaris is neglected i was even thinking the other day of trading in my car and seeing what i can get maybe a used srt or something bcuz a couple intakes, exhaust, NO ECU tunning, NO s/c or turbo isnt really gettin the yaris anywhere
elsteverino889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:37 AM   #12
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Well there is a large aftermarket suport for the Liftback/Vitz the Sedan/Belta is neglected in the aftermarket
Old 02-23-2007, 01:45 PM   #13
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Ohio Yaris owners are coming up!

Where in Ohio Todd? Oh, and you test drove my car!

I don't have anything to add... the previous posts covered all the bases.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote