Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
yarr_is

Drives: yaris
DF210 Q's

Tried searching... couldn't find the answer I need.

Tanabe DF210 owners. How long are you guys been running these springs? Do they get bouncy afterwards? How low and especially living in LA where road sucks how daily drivable are they? How well they side with GF series?

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/df210.asp?id=1

I'm looking to do spring and strut combo also. Has anyone gone to this route? If so what struts are you guys running?

Thanks
yarr_is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Im just running the DF210 Springs, they still hold their own, and ive driven on some pretty bad streets before. they are driveable here, not really sure how it is in LA.

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
LA = Pothole City (especially after rainy season)

I'm looking for springs myself. So far all the ones I've looked at seem promising. Now it's just a matter of finding the best deal and coughing up the $$

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
yarr_is

Yeah it's such BS how so many construction going on here and nothing seems to be improving. Looks like things are getting worst. Potholes everywhere. I've bent wheels just hitting them. I run coilovers on my other car and reason I want to go springs on yaris cause of this. Coilovers and stiff set up isn't friendly here. Makes me hate just driving full suspension set up car here in LA
Old 10-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
bouncy comes from the struts not the springs
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
If you are concerned about bottoming-out, serious rubbing or uncomfortable ride, then I'd stay away from the bigger drops (2" or more) and stick with 15" wheels to give more tire-suspension. also, try to stay 205 or narrower to give the best tire clearance.
Tamago is correct; bouncy is bad or soft struts, not the springs. Bad springs just get weaker and sag or bottom out more easily.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
Tamago

and the tanabes are the KING of sagging.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
eijikikimaru
Q(','Q)

Drives: 3dr Meteroite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
and the tanabes are the KING of sagging.
Like Tamago said

Konigs Feathers 17x7 with Toyo Proxes4 215/40/17
Tanabe DF210
Stock shocks
Rear seat removed
No struts of any kind

I've had my Tanabe DF210 for 2years now. They're racked up to 40k on them. Due to the sagging I was forced to remove the rear seat to level out the wheel gap.

Now it's about 1.5 gap on both front and rear. Prior to rear seat removal my rear fender had no gap and I was dealing with a lot of fender rubbing on turns. With the current set up the only rubbing I have is on high speed turns (Looping freeway on-ramp for example)

I don't know if you noticed the Rear fender is lower/longer then the fender in front. For my car it's roughly 24.5inches from ground to peak of front fender and 24inches from the ground to peak of rear fender.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Full.jpg (107.5 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by eijikikimaru; 10-13-2009 at 11:22 PM.
eijikikimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:21 PM   #9
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
So I guess the DFs are out of the running

Which springs would you suggest for us, Tamago? Coilovers (for any of us who can afford it)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarr_is View Post
Yeah it's such BS how so many construction going on here and nothing seems to be improving. Looks like things are getting worst. Potholes everywhere. I've bent wheels just hitting them. I run coilovers on my other car and reason I want to go springs on yaris cause of this. Coilovers and stiff set up isn't friendly here. Makes me hate just driving full suspension set up car here in LA
There was a section of road a few blocks from my house that was too big to even call a pothole. It felt like a 2 inch drop straight down (I actually ran out there with a ruler once) followed by 30 feet of very rough ups and downs with almost no pavement. It ended with a 3 inch sharp jump back to normal asphalt. It was finally repaved over the Summer after years of wear and tear. At the same time other roads are quickly becoming bad too, and you just know they'll never get to it until half the town loses their strut bolts and bushings.

To top that off the 10 freeway's been getting overnight "repavements" too. It was just fine until CalTrans touched it this year. Now it feels like you're driving a lowrider.

It's almost tempting to not even get the car lowered...

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #10
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Springs support weight. Shocks/struts control motion.
Upgrade your dampers when moving to stiffer springs or be prepared to pogo. Nothing looks more pathetic than a slammed ricer pogoing down the freeway.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
Tamago

i suggest Eibach.
you nailed it sir.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
You have a PM.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #13
yarr_is

thanks i got it... I'll check you out