Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-15-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
ptadam22

Drives: Acura TSX
New Blue Yaris Owner

Thought I would introduce myself and show a picture of the new car. I just sold a clean looking e36 m3 that was starting to go downhill with head gasket and catalytic issues. I was getting tired of the cost of ownership related to a 15 year old German sports car....so I got a Yaris!!! Way different driving experience, but I love the car for what it is. I used to have a couple miatas so I am used to the low power but high smiles per dollar.

The current mods are:

TRD Springs / shocks
TRD Rear Sway
Unknown Brand Short Shifter
Greddy Axle Back Exhaust
Gold Konig Featherlite Wheels (Previous owner like the Subaru STI gold on blue look)

Came with a Fujita CAI that I may or may not install, any mpg or hp gains???

Car is a little dirty and have not had a chance to wash it. I'll get some better pictures with my DSLR soon and post them up.

The old M3

ptadam22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
TPA5
Wait, what?

Drives: NULL
Nice ride, I like the rims.

The CAI will provide some power increase, and will also give your car a nice sound. If you don't decide to install it, let me know, if the price was right I'd be tempted to buy it off you

Any other mods planned?
TPA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
another beautiful blue

whats your plans for the yaris?
Old 06-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
I like your old M3

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptadam22 View Post
Car is a little dirty...

If that's a "little dirty"... mine is filthy.
The longer you drive it, the more you'll enjoy it.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Looks fantastic.Tinted window on a 2 door yaris rollin on rims, real nice.

junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
amanda07

Drives: 07~LiFtBaCk/74~scout/BMW-3
I also have a little blue Hatchback... and we drive it everywhere. The BMW stays at home!

Last edited by amanda07; 06-17-2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: post pics! : )
amanda07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #8
henrylee

Drives: 2011 Yaris Sedan Red Power pkg
Nice yards~

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38682
henrylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:22 AM   #9
ptadam22

I am glad you all like the new Yaris. Here are a few more cell phone pictures, have yet to do any sort of fun shoots. In terms of modifications for this car, I don't plan to do anything crazy. What interests me the most for this type of vehicle would be performing aero mods such as under panels, grill blocks, diffuser, tire spats, and other related things. If there are good bang for the buck modifications to provide some more power down low I'd be interested. It's definitely an adjustment going from the M3, but I'm really enjoying the car so far. I have done a little over 200 miles in it so far and got 35.5 mpg with more freeway than city and lots of AC.

My second gear syncro seems really weak and likes to grind when I downshift from 3>2. Have any of you guys had this problem, or had toyota fix this under warranty?

Old 06-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
2nd gear is a pain. Just have to make sure the clutch hits the floor and be careful. How many miles are on it? Changing the transmission fluid also could help.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #11
goliath1812

Drives: 2010 Prius, 2007 Yaris Sedan
Redline MT-90 :)
Old 06-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #12
ptadam22

I'll try some high quality tranny fluid to see if that helps. My car has a short shifter, and I believe it's one where it is just a block of aluminum that goes into the linkage and that's it. Can that be the reason that my second gear is engaging badly when downshifting? Will replacing the shifter bushings help the feel of the shifting, or anything else? Not thoroughly impressed by the Yaris' transmission so far. Car has 80k miles.

I'm thinking about picking up a ScanGauge II, are they worth it? Seems like they can be great tools, and it would be nice to have something that displays rpm as well.

My fujita CAI is a one piece design, will it install easily by just removing the old intake? Or will I have to take a lot of stuff out of the way?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
yaris looking good
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptadam22 View Post
I'll try some high quality tranny fluid to see if that helps. My car has a short shifter, and I believe it's one where it is just a block of aluminum that goes into the linkage and that's it. Can that be the reason that my second gear is engaging badly when downshifting? Will replacing the shifter bushings help the feel of the shifting, or anything else? Not thoroughly impressed by the Yaris' transmission so far. Car has 80k miles.

I'm thinking about picking up a ScanGauge II, are they worth it? Seems like they can be great tools, and it would be nice to have something that displays rpm as well.

My fujita CAI is a one piece design, will it install easily by just removing the old intake? Or will I have to take a lot of stuff out of the way?
No, it isn't the short shifter. The Yaris tranny just isn't the best. If anything the short shifter should make it feel better.

Scanguage is pretty awesome, especially if you are looking to maximize your gas mileage.

I've never installed a CAI, but from what I have read they generally need the front bumper to be removed for installation and servicing.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #15
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
car looks good dude !!! i like how the wheels look on her, very nice contrast with the colors.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #16
goliath1812

Drives: 2010 Prius, 2007 Yaris Sedan
Other than black sand pearl, your blazing blue is the only other color choice I'd choose for the yaris. Looks great. The CAI would need the front bumper to be removed, but that's really not a tough job. You can get away with just popping the top pins off and pulling the bumper a little forward.
If you're looking at a scan gauge, try the ultra gauge as well, its a lot cheaper. I use it mainly for MPG, battery voltage, temp, but it has a ton of gauges available. I think a stand alone rpm gauge would be better though if that's the only thing you're looking for, as the ultra gauge (and I assume scan gauge) does have a little lag....

Also, when I added my Injen CAI, my MPG on my first tank hit 44.7. My previous average was around 40-42. So I did notice a MPG gain with the intake :-) on my first tank anyway...I'm real happy with it compared to stock.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #17
ptadam22

I finally got the warranty to transfer over from the previous owner to myself. I want to have Toyota take a look at the transmission, but will it be a problem having the short shifter on there? Should I make sure to put that back to stock before taking it in?

I believe my short shifter is the engine bay variant. Do I need to buy anything to put it back to stock, or is it just a matter of taking something out and then putting things back together?