Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
heeroyuy01195
Post count means nothing.

Drives: AW11, NCP91, Old Motorcycles
Airbag question

Hi everyone,

I ran a search but I couldn't find what I was looking for. Does anyone know if the Scion TC shares the same airbag sensor setup on the driver and passenger seats as the Yaris? I want to change out the Yaris seats for something a little more sporty and not as high up but at the same time I'd like to keep my airbags functional and retain a stock look. Anyone have any alternative ideas? Thanks in advance.
heeroyuy01195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
the brackets are different.. so you'll have to cut/weld the tC ones to make them fit... you up for it?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
Tamago

btw where in FL are you? and i'm jealous of your other car!
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
heeroyuy01195

Yes I know the brackets are different, I am fully prepared to "massage" them in. I just need to know if the Yaris airbag system will be able to read the airbag sensors from the Tc seat. If I understand how the system works correctly, there's a weight sensor in each seat that's read by the airbag system. Theoretically if they are virtually the same sensors then I should be able to unplug the connectors on the Yaris seat and (hopefully without splicing wires) plug in the Tc Seat, bolt it in (after some work) and voila.

I'm in South Florida.

edit: if I have the airbag system completely wrong then please chime in and educate me. I'm coming from modifying a car that has practically nothing but a 21 year old seat belt as a safety device so go easy on me!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
Tamago

i'm in S florida too..

i believe the weight sensor is actually a "position" sensor that tells the system if the seat is far forward or pushed back

i've seen quite a few and the switch is generally the same plug. you could always unbolt the switch from the yaris seat and bolt it to the tC seat. when i swapped to aftermarket seats i unbolted the switches and left them under the seat. when they aren't ON the seat they tell the airbag system the seat is pushed forward.. which means the airbag goes off "less" .. which IMO is safer.

i have those switches from my car that i could sell you if you don't want to modify your yaris seats. do you have a welder?
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #6
heeroyuy01195

I don't have a welder, I was going to have my body shop guy take care of the welding.

So you basically removed everything from the stock seats and have it all sitting under your aftermarket seat? Airbags functional?

I was on scionlife.com and a few members stated that the TC seat has a weight sensor to tell whether it's an adult or child in the seat so that it can adjust the airbag accordingly. I believe I read the same in a thread on here as well. Is this true or false? Thanks for the input!

Also, I'm quite not ready to change out the the seats in the Yaris just yet so I won't be buying anything for the little project at this time but thank you very much for the offer.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
Tamago

i have no airbags in my car at this point.. but back in the day i used to trick the computer by leaving the sensors under the aftermarket MOMO seats.

PM me. i can provide welding services as well as any other automotive work you want done. $30/hr money back guarantee
you nailed it sir.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:02 AM   #8
heeroyuy01195

Sorry to revive my very old thread but I was doing more research and stumbled across another question that I cannot seem to find a solid answer to. If I just install an aftermarket seat on the driver's side and leave the passenger side seat stock, will I have any airbag issues? From what I understand, the driver's side uses a different airbag system. Can anyone elaborate on this? How exactly does the driver's side airbag system work? Does it have a weight sensor like the passenger side?

I've given up on the passenger side seat, safety and function over form. I'd rather my passenger be safe and high up in the air in the stock seat. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:05 AM   #9
xbalance

Drives: stock
Will airbag age?
how long we need to change or replace?
xbalance is offline   Reply With Quote