Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #19
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
^ LOL!
Old 09-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #20
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
And here are the ridiculous cup-holders in the over-rated BMW 3-series (current generation). I drive these at my job and wonder how they can be considered THE standard. I'd much rather have my Yaris than the BMW 3.

Snapped this pic at work yesterday. Yup, these are ALL the cup holders. The driver has to reach 3 feet and over the passenger just to grab their drink. Plus, the design limits many types of drink containers.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20100925_155543.jpg (66.4 KB, 74 views)
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:44 PM   #21
PhillyG

Drives: 2009 Yaris
wow... i didnt know anyone complained about the yaris cupholders... i rather like mine.. keeps the hot drink warm in the winter and the cold drink cool in the summer. aside from easy reach.
PhillyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #22
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
i told you....german cars dont have cupholders in germany. they just find a spot and put them there in american models.

germans think that cars are for driving, not for eating and drinking in.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:32 PM   #23
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
i told you....german cars dont have cupholders in germany. they just find a spot and put them there in american models.

It doesn't take an enormous amount of skill to suck liquid through a straw while driving.
I know they take driving seriously but it doesn't mean they have to be thirsty.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #24
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post

I knew there was something I liked about the Germans.
Usually, if I'm on a long-enough trip that I NEED a drink, I'll stop, drink, and then get back in the car and keep moving. I am NOT one of these "sip-every-5-minutes" people....
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #25
SailDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
It doesn't take an enormous amount of skill to suck liquid through a straw while driving.
No, but in England at least, if you take one hand off the wheel to do that, or to bite an apple or something, you'll be cited for dangerous driving.
I don't agree with it, just saying....
Old 09-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #26
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
No, but in England at least, if you take one hand off the wheel to do that, or to bite an apple or something, you'll be cited for dangerous driving.
I don't agree with it, just saying....
That's crazy. I don't know anyone who drives with 2 hands. I argue that one hand between the spokes makes reaction time quicker. With two hands, it limits your range of motion and slows the rotation time down since you have to synchronize both hands and juggle two points of contact.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #27
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Um yea, there is a huge difference between drinking a soda at 35 mph while picking up the kids then at 200 mph on the autobahn.

The Yaris cup holders are great, on the sides, away from everything.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #28
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Um yea, there is a huge difference between drinking a soda at 35 mph while picking up the kids then at 200 mph on the autobahn.

The Yaris cup holders are great, on the sides, away from everything.
Yes, the Autobahn is the exception but Germany isn't all Autobahn. It's just a small part of it. Most of the country is driven normally. Why not be able to hold a drink? Plus, 200 MPH isn't the norm. Even the drivers with Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, ect. would have to be a bit nutty to go 200. 150 is more typical in the passing lane. In fact, most cars are governed at 155.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #29
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
I wonder it is manditory that new drivers are forced to watch what happens to a production car (and its occupants) when it crashes at 150 MPH.

It's certainly not pretty and would cause many to think twice about going that fast.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #30
SailDesign

Quote:
That's crazy. I don't know anyone who drives with 2 hands. I argue that one hand between the spokes makes reaction time quicker. With two hands, it limits your range of motion and slows the rotation time down since you have to synchronize both hands and juggle two points of contact.
You'll find most racing drivers disagree with you on reaction and range of motion/rotation time issues. First rule -two hands on the wheel unless shifting, which is why the paddle-shifter was invented (hands NEVER leave the wheel)
If it's better for racing, you KNOW it has to be better on the road - but I agree the fact that you can be fined for it is stupid.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #31
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Yes, the Autobahn is the exception but Germany isn't all Autobahn. It's just a small part of it. Most of the country is driven normally. Why not be able to hold a drink? Plus, 200 MPH isn't the norm. Even the drivers with Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, ect. would have to be a bit nutty to go 200. 150 is more typical in the passing lane. In fact, most cars are governed at 155.
While it might be a small part of Germany, I'd be shocked there is anyone that doesn't go on the autobahn at least once in their car, and it only takes a couple seconds of distraction at that speed to be dead.

And drivers are also trained better in europe, they actually know that distracted driving is bad, and even a second or two with your eyes off the road could be deadly.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #32
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I believe I read once that the average speed on the autobahn is only 140 km/h (about 85 mph), and that on the unrestricted speed sections.

The advisory speed limit (Richtgeschwindigkeit) is 130 km/h (80 mph).

A 2005 study by the German Federal Interior Ministry (Bundesministerium des Innern) indicated that autobahn sections with unrestricted speed have the same crash record as sections with speed limits.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #33
Kal-El

The same arguments against beverages while driving could be applied to radios and navigation systems. In fact, those things require much more attention than grabbing a drink which doesn't require taking your eyes off the road. So why do German cars have radios and navi's?

Old 09-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #34
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
Quote:
The same arguments against beverages while driving could be applied to radios and navigation systems. In fact, those things require much more attention than grabbing a drink which doesn't require taking your eyes off the road. So why do German cars have radios and navi's?

if we are gonna go there, why not include air conditioners on that list... those take some attention...

and i notice that smoking is off the list too... so remove the ash trays, and the A/C, and the radio, and the navi... oop, and remove the ability to adjust the window while driving...

just showing how fast everything(well, almost) can be removed by this thinking...

how about we just train drivers properly... make the driver's test a pain in the ass, difficult to pass, and then require a valid driver's license on every vehicle registration... with extra paperwork showing when you own more than one vehicle...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #35
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyG View Post
wow... i didnt know anyone complained about the yaris cupholders... i rather like mine.. keeps the hot drink warm in the winter and the cold drink cool in the summer. aside from easy reach.
Same here. I love the cup holders in the Yaris. I like the LB cup holders even more than the sedan ones, just because there are more of them lol :)
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #36
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
I used to be very adept at driving with my knees while eating a burger, fries, and a shake. It was almost like someone else was driving me down the road. But.... I was driving about 35mph while doing this... :)