Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-31-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
SKurj

Drives: 09 Yaris 3dr HB, BRZ
Any way to prevent headlights yellowing?

My 2004 hb has a few kms on it (253km) now and I am getting ready to sell it. The headlights have gone very yellow over time. For my next car (probably 10-11 Yaris hb) I don't want the same to happen. Are there any products or methods you can use to prevent the headlights yellowing?
SKurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Yes there are. There are quickie solutions which require some work and purchase of materials that would offer a temp fix but to be honest if you wanted done right then I have a few contacts that you could send them to and they would fix with a 3 year guaranty(sp?). Whats happened is through operation of the vehicle the sand, rocks etc have damaged the UV coating on the cover and then with rain and sun it has slowly turned it that yellow color. We need to sand out the defects leaving enough tooth to apply a UV coating and then let it cure. It will cure out to a nice brand new looking finish that will save you a ton when you think about having to replace.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I use cheap metal polish (Maguires <-- spelling? or Mothers) and a rag and it get's the yellow off. Usually good for 6 months. You really have to use some elbow grease if they're bad.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Stock headlight have "built in" UV protection.
It's part of the plastic formulation. That is basically like the UV protection molded into the dash.

The probem is, after a few years, the protection breaks down and the yellowing and clouding results.

So, you can use a product like "Meguiar's PlastX" that is marketed for this purpose to buff them out and re-apply some protection.

Keep in mind that it will probably have to be re-buffed with the product (as you do with most products of this type) when needed (once a year or so) for the rest of the life of the car/headlight to keep it looking new.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
SKurj

Drives: 09 Yaris 3dr HB, BRZ
Thanks i'll give it a go mebbe this weekend if its nice enough, mine are getting pretty bad.

I notice crappy tire at WIlson and Taunton has some renew service, they claim $50 and 15 minutes is all it takes...

But for the most part I am more thinking about the next car, how to slow down the issue.

Is there such a thing as 3M clear plastic like the clear body armour that can be put on?
SKurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKurj View Post
Thanks i'll give it a go mebbe this weekend if its nice enough, mine are getting pretty bad.

I notice crappy tire at WIlson and Taunton has some renew service, they claim $50 and 15 minutes is all it takes...

But for the most part I am more thinking about the next car, how to slow down the issue.

Is there such a thing as 3M clear plastic like the clear body armour that can be put on?
Those places just use a buffing compound and a power buffer. You could do the same with some "PlastX and bit of elbow grease.
It may take a few minutes but, you wil save some money and still have amost a full bottlel of "PlatstX" left over for the next time you need it.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
aareyn

Drives: yaris sedan
http://www.headlightarmor.com/ sells a clear guard for headlights.
aareyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 PM   #8
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
wax when you wash your car. if they're already yellow then you can get a kit from walmart for under 20 bucks.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote