Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-05-2010, 02:32 AM   #1
JerseyJeff84

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Want to customize, but don't know where to start....Any relatively cheap ideas?

I used to love doing little things to my last car(had a Pontiac from the 80's that ran amazing), such as putting in new filters, batteries, brakes, etc, however, now that I'm driving a '10 Yaris Sedan(base model), I feel like my hands are tied since everything is brand new. Only three things I do on a consistent basis are oil changes, vacuuming, and checking fluids.

I bought the car back in June of this year, and am currently sitting at 8,500+ miles. Any ideas of little things I can do to the car to make it feel "mine," but that aren't too expensive? For example, any good recommendations for air filters, wiper blades, hubcaps/rims, etc? One thing I've been kind of wanting to do is a spoiler, but by the time I purchase one on ebay that is painted($120-150) and have it installed(not sure how much labor would be, but I'm thinking $100-200), I don't think it's worth it. I'm more interested in ideas of how to gain more power and pep to the car as well.

Thanks so much. I guess you can say I'm just an over-zealous Yaris owner who wants to start making the car go from Stock to feeling like my own.
JerseyJeff84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:41 AM   #2
Tylermayer

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
debadge the back it makes it have a cleaner look

go here
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9675
Old 12-05-2010, 03:07 AM   #3
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
personally i went for the same thing. only thing i recommend is to stick to a low budget and wait for deals. do little interior things (interior lights and stero system) outside i lowered it and debadged it. planning on painting calipers soon and painting tires. under the hood i got light weight pullies and torque dampner plus intake. i love it, so much fun to drive and like u said, i made it my own and for relitivatly cheap.

for the spoiler, my friend on his altima got a M3 spoiler and its black and sticks right on the top of the reat window (or u can put it on the edge of the trunk or top or the roof) and its a suttle lip that really adds something, look them up on ebay
Old 12-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #4
Cosmonaut
The Last Baron

Drives: 09 Polar White HB
These are ideas and really cheap too.
Badges: I stripped the "toyota" and painted the yaris badge.

if youre going to take off the wheel cover give it some love and paint it.
This little detail goes along way.

I also have Garm's skull badge painted black.

As well as a custom exhaust tip made from scrap and i have access to a welder so it cost nothing for me.

These are just little things ive done for little or no $$$. Actually the skullbadge was the only thing i had to drop cash for.

| UR 19mm sway |
Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
Changing the stock radio antenna for a stubby ($12) or a shark fin style ($75) really changes the look, but you do get a noticeable loss in reception strength. Some of which you can get back with a signal amplifier.
If you don't use the radio much or stay closer to metro areas that may be fine for you.

Debadging the rear (free) and putting on racing disc hubcabs ($100/set) make for a nice clean look. Not sure that the racing discs would look as good on the sedan.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
id check out microimageonline.com first and see all the different things available for you. go to the shoponline tab and it will shoot you to the link for online store.. its pretty damn impressive for new yaris owners

Last edited by tk-421; 12-24-2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: FTFY
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
First thing I did was window tint but that's because I have a family member that does it professionally so he did mine for the cost of the film, which was almost nothing and a little extra for him.

I did the stealth garage door opener because I was tired of opening the little compartment next to the driver's left knee to open my garage and the visor is WAY to thick for an opener.

Then I removed all badges and painted them red (I have a black yaris) with Krylon Fusion and then a satin clear coat, then re-applied them. I think it looks really REALLY good. I've even gotten complements about it from people that work in the same building as me.

I then removed the center dash stuff that is silver (around the radio and climate controls) and using the same cans of paint painted that red and it too looks really good.

Next on my list to do is reupholster both doors with red neoprene or other thick fabric to match the dash. That's only going to cost the material and the headliner glue which both are cheap.

I've also purchased a set of 4 center caps for about $20 for my steel wheels off of ebay. I plan to paint the wheels a glossy black and paint the caps red as well but its been too cold and I don't feel like doing it inside. Looks like that may wait till next spring.

Even after the fabric and glue I've spent less than $100 on my car so far and I think it will look a lot better when everything is done.
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:41 AM   #8
HariKaYari76

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatchback
You can rock Clazzio custom leather interiors, it's a couple hundred bucks but my buddy got some black leather with red middle's for his red scion and they are killer. He got them from clazziocars.com
HariKaYari76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:54 AM   #9
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by HariKaYari76 View Post
You can rock Clazzio custom leather interiors, it's a couple hundred bucks but my buddy got some black leather with red middle's for his red scion and they are killer. He got them from clazziocars.com
Or MicroImageonline.com
Old 12-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #10
zuberio
Joined 3/08 ... really

Drives: '07 Sedan
Paint stuff - easiest and cheapest. I suggest you DIY paint the back and leave the front alone - I painted my front emblem and now it's all chipped from driving.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:26 PM   #11
TRDblueyaris

Drives: 08 liftback 5 speed
try de-badging the liftgate, then changing the interior lights to l.e.d., that's what i did, it looks pretty cool.
TRDblueyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
custom shift knob : find something random that would be a cool shift knob. tap it for the correct thread and use a nut to lock it in place.
interior lights : I use www.oznium.com for LEDs and they are pretty inexpensive. If you are ok with wiring, they aren't hard to put in yourself. I did both front footwells, the dome light, and the rear cargo area (in our LB - I actually added a light to both sides as the stock setup sucks)
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #13
limey163

Drives: 2010 Black 2D Hatch Yaris
I like the painted wheels, i want to do something like that, was it difficult to paint?
limey163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Center console

rear sway bar

....or stock steelies, cleaned up and with added polished trim rings and center cap, look great on the Yaris (or an xB in this pic, first thing I found)

Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #15
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
....or stock steelies, cleaned up and with added polished trim rings and center cap, look great on the Yaris (or an xB in this pic, first thing I found)
Do you have any suggestions on brands or styles that fit the stock steelies? I poked around with google and found stuff for aftermarket rims or antiques (beetles/cameros) but nothing that claimed to fit the yaris/scions.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:49 AM   #16
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I got my set of trim rings for the stock steelies on Ebay.....just look for the ones that are the same size as your rims,mine were 14"....perfect fit....
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #17
ciscobear

Drives: Toyota Belta
I started with interior, some nice leds, change of HU and some tint.
ciscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #18
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
^ x2

I changed my shift boot and knob out. Then did an LED lighting change on the dome light...oh yeah, and the "little" sound system.

Garm,

Those steelies, you had those painted? I was hoping to keep the steelies on my car (which is a darck charcoal color). Do you have the polished trim rings at your disposal (to sell?) I think that I'd like to do something like you did with that Xb.

Last edited by sqcomp; 07-10-2011 at 11:41 AM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote