Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
superlaura328

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
AC only works intermittently?

Hope I'm not duplicating a previously asked question, but I couldn't find one!

I have a 2009 Yaris. The AC only works intermittently. Over the past year or so, it would usually work, but once in a blue moon, it would only blow verrrrry softly... you could feel cold air if you place your hand over the vent, but it wasn't enough air to reach you in the seat. Now, it is not working far more often than it is working (of course, just in time for summer). This happens no matter what speed I have it set to.

Any ideas that might cause this? I am also experiencing the apparently common issue for Yarises when your AC drain tube clogs up and starts leaking into the passenger foot well, although I have been able to resolve that issue by clearing the tube periodically. Are these two things related?

Ugh. I am trying to avoid a visit to the auto shop because I really can't afford it right now, lol. Any ideas you folks have will be appreciated! :)
superlaura328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlaura328 View Post
Hope I'm not duplicating a previously asked question, but I couldn't find one!

I have a 2009 Yaris. The AC only works intermittently. Over the past year or so, it would usually work, but once in a blue moon, it would only blow verrrrry softly... you could feel cold air if you place your hand over the vent, but it wasn't enough air to reach you in the seat. Now, it is not working far more often than it is working (of course, just in time for summer). This happens no matter what speed I have it set to.

Any ideas that might cause this? I am also experiencing the apparently common issue for Yarises when your AC drain tube clogs up and starts leaking into the passenger foot well, although I have been able to resolve that issue by clearing the tube periodically. Are these two things related?

Ugh. I am trying to avoid a visit to the auto shop because I really can't afford it right now, lol. Any ideas you folks have will be appreciated! :)
Sloshing water and intermittent working are not related. The typical cause of intermittent operations is under or over charging of the Freon, or a bad pressure sensor. Having the system checked with a gauge set will quickly determine which it is.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
superlaura328

Thanks for the info! I guess I'm stuck taking it in, lol.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlaura328 View Post
Thanks for the info! I guess I'm stuck taking it in, lol.
For about $30 you could pick up one of the cans of Freon with the gauge. It is not quite as accurate a way of testing and refilling, but it is a quick and easy DIY method. Before I purchased a complete automotive air conditioning kit I used those kits to recharge my older cars that had partially lost their charge.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
superlaura328

Oh, nice! I think I'll give that a go! Thanks again!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
screenprintr

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
Any recommendation as to what brand? Sorry for being a total noob. Don't work on cars as much as I use to when I was younger.
screenprintr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by screenprintr View Post
Any recommendation as to what brand? Sorry for being a total noob. Don't work on cars as much as I use to when I was younger.
Whatever your local autoparts store carries. For example, AutoZone stocks Quest products:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=1225541