Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-15-2006, 02:41 AM   #1
hans_fh

Drives: Yaris
Brand New Yaris vs. 99 BMW 323

I am going to put deposit for my Yaris Sedan next week but I just got a call from my best friend. He is going to sell his BMW 323 which has only 8,0000 miles. The following is that car's condition:

Sweet 323i. This BMW 323i is in excellent shape. It was bought in Arizona, NO RUST. also comes with a full inspection, warranty, and a service department that offers lifetime cost on parts and labor.

Driver Air Bag; Anti-Lock Brakes; Air Conditioning; Alloy Wheels; Cruise Control; Passenger Air Bag; Rear Window Defroster; Power Seats; Leather Seats; Power Door Locks; Power Mirrors; Power Windows; Power Steering; Sunroof/Moonroof; Tinted Glass; Tilt Wheel

Any suggestions? PLZ, I am really in delima...

To be honest, the total cost to own my brand new Yaris is more than own this BMW
hans_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:17 AM   #2
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
a yaris will always be a yaris, and a bmw will always be a bmw...

which one would you rather get into every morning, and drive to work in?
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:34 AM   #3
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Yup whatever tickles ur fancy.........
Old 10-15-2006, 07:31 AM   #4
YarisBueller
Administrator

the BMW 323 is an excellent car, in fact I owned one almost exactly how you described. Its an amazing drive, great quality, classy exterior.

However, 80,000miles is alot of miles, and personally if I was getting a car that I plan on owning for atleast 4 years, Id get a new car, that car is going to get up to 140,000 miles in that time and then the car will need alot of maintenance $$ to keep her strong. Id go with a brand new car that has a full new warranty, and all the perks that go with that.
YarisBueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:58 AM   #5
MrMondayNite

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
As a former Bimmer owner, my old BMW was truely a pleasure to drive and I sure do miss it,but I have to agree with Yarisbueller.
04 BMW 330 XI (Traded in)
03 VW Jetta GLX VR6 (gave to Dad)
01 Civic EX (gave to Mom)
MrMondayNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:33 PM   #6
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
The Bimmer has a very high maintence cost, and hard to get replacment parts for. The Yaris has a low maintence cost, replacement parts are hard to get right now... but should be easy once suply has met demand for the car
Old 10-15-2006, 12:36 PM   #7
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Yep, get the Yaris. It is one of the few cars on earth that can actually be called an investment.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 02:01 PM   #8
hans_fh

Drives: Yaris
Thanks! In that case, I will get a Yaris insteat of a BMW. I am so happy now:)
hans_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:58 PM   #9
Boo

Drives: PW Yaris LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris
The Bimmer has a very high maintence cost, and hard to get replacment parts for. The Yaris has a low maintence cost, replacement parts are hard to get right now... but should be easy once suply has met demand for the car

hans_fh:
I think it is very depends on what kind of car do you expected. I have a brand new Yaris and a 2002 3series (got it brand new)
I get the Yaris because I want to leave the bimmer as a pleasure car.
To me the Yaris is a very basic commute car, no fancy, luxuary features. On the other side, the bimmer get every things from heat leather seat to the joy of driving, it gives you every thing, however the gas mileage is not good as Yaris, but still not bad (I got around 23city/33hwy mpg).
Driving is a very personal thing, some one just like from point A straight to point B, however some one like from point A...X,Y,Z.... point B.
If you want just a daily commuter and good investment, get the Yaris.

Also from my personal exp of owning a Bimmer, I disagree about the high maintance argument. If you compare with Yaris, then you are right (i.e. radiator fluid is 10 yr filled. ). However whe you compare with a ordinary car on the road, owning a bimmer do not require you to service more. Also Bimmer the most reliable amoung all the european car. (In this 5 yrs, it never fails me) In the last two years, after the maintance program ends. It only cost me less than $300 (1 radiator flush $200 and 2 oil changes $40 each).
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:12 AM   #10
jusdtm

Drives: toyota
I think it's better that you decided on the yaris. I work at BMW and I see a lot of E46 3 series everday with pretty much the same problems. I'm not saying that Toyota's are perfect because I know they have their problems too but BMW's are just more prone to problems. For instance - control arms, power steering, camshaft sensors, ignition coils, alternator, fuel control, cooling, a/c, window regulators, various interior trims peeling, and 7 quarts of synthetic oil each oil change. I think it's better to just lease a new BMW because full maintenance covers pretty much everything but tires.
jusdtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:15 AM   #11
captainzerocool
CAMRY FTW!

Drives: Camry LE V-6 (225,000+ miles)
When a dealer says NO RUST on a newer car, I tend to look elsewhere.

Go for the Yaris.

I have no imagination.
captainzerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:01 AM   #12
DonnyRebel
1st Time Toyota Owner

Drives: 2007 Meteorite Yaris Liftback
Red face an investment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
...get the Yaris. It is one of the few cars on earth that can actually be called an investment.
youre crackin me up man.......how do you figure a Yaris is an investment? Making an investment implies there is a financial appreciation or return. cmon, youre kiddin right?

"Clown Car" - 07 3dr Yaris
"Redneck Roadster" - 04 Chevy SSR
"Wife's Ride" - 03 Honda Accord EX
DonnyRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:17 AM   #13
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I was simply referring to the fact that mathematically this is the cheapest 2007 in America when you factor in gas mileage, initial price, quality and reliability.

No car is an investment? I HAD NO IDEA... hah! I was hoping I could pull 100k out of the engine and sell it for $13k. I used the term investment loosely. Next time I'll be more specific so everyone can keep up.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:31 PM   #14
sanchez
vroooom!

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
honestly its a great feeling when you see the odometer of a car that only read 4 miles man get the yaris not to mention that the yaris will last way longer and be cheaper to maintain.
sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote