Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
msntuttle

Drives: 2007 Subaru Legacy
2012 3rd Generation Comfort

Hello,

New to Yaris world. Current Subaru owner but owned 3 Toyotas prior to the Subie. Considering a Yaris because I like the new style, while some don't like that they moved the gauges back to driver's side, I love it.

Test drove one two weeks ago and was impressed. Am cross shopping with other cars and trying to make my decision. (Impreza, Fit, Focus, all hatchback)

Love Toyota reliability and fact that even though tranny is only 4sp auto, it is reliable. Comfort of driver's position is my concern. I only drove demo Yaris about 8 miles, wheel felt a little bit too far forward. There is tilt but no telescope. Am of average height 5'10" wondering how other Yaris driver's are finding longer term driving comfort. Thanks.
msntuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Chocobo87

Drives: 2012 Blazing Blue Yaris(Auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msntuttle View Post
Hello,

New to Yaris world. Current Subaru owner but owned 3 Toyotas prior to the Subie. Considering a Yaris because I like the new style, while some don't like that they moved the gauges back to driver's side, I love it.

Test drove one two weeks ago and was impressed. Am cross shopping with other cars and trying to make my decision. (Impreza, Fit, Focus, all hatchback)

Love Toyota reliability and fact that even though tranny is only 4sp auto, it is reliable. Comfort of driver's position is my concern. I only drove demo Yaris about 8 miles, wheel felt a little bit too far forward. There is tilt but no telescope. Am of average height 5'10" wondering how other Yaris driver's are finding longer term driving comfort. Thanks.
SUBARU!!!!! <3 it!!!!! I went to the dealer with my 07 Subie STI with 58k miles on it, and I traded it for a 2012 5 dr Yaris in blazing blue because it reminded me of my subie :(

Long story short, I miss my subie because of the performance, but I love the gas I'm saving, so it is up to you. I must say that the turning radius on the Yaris is FFFFAAAARRRRRR superior than the Subie, but not overall handling. You could probably get coilovers, but you would need the power to go with the car lol.

As far as reaching the wheel, I drive with my left hand at 7, and my right hand either fiddling with something or holding my girlfriend's hand because I have the luxury to do that now in an automatic lol. I am 6"0, so I'm sure you can find something that will work out for you.

Just keep going to the dealer and test drive it to death :P

Take it easy, I hoped this helped.
Chocobo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Strider199

Drives: Black 2012 Yaris 3door 5speed
I just got my 2012 Yaris a few weeks ago, VW Golf TDi owner for the past 31 years. The Yaris is not bad as far as long range travel is concerned. I drive over an hour to work each way and this is the first car where my head actually rests on the headrest. I wish the steering wheel would come towards me about an inch and tilt slightly down, but the 10 and 2 works out OK. Believe me if a base model 2012 VW TDi was under $30,000 I would still be driving one even with that dreaded timing belt change, but for $17,900 after taxes I couldn't pass the Yaris by. I'm 5'10" and the Yaris is a nice fit. The steering wheel and pedals are within easy reach with a comfy seat that holds you in nicely. I just wish the dash board had more room for my CB radio and stuff. Also if they could have made the fuel tank capacity another 10 litres in size it would be awesome. I hate filling up after 4 days of driving.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
msntuttle

Drives: 2007 Subaru Legacy
Thanks to both Strider 199 and Chocobo87 for replying. Strider, since you live in snow country, can you tell me how the Yaris feels in snow yet? Or has it been snowless there like here in Wisc? Thanks.
msntuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
Strider199

Drives: Black 2012 Yaris 3door 5speed
Snowless??? Heck no. Christmas day we got some heavy wet snow and then the temperature went down over night. Boxing day I went out to see how she feels in the snow. I was surprised that this car handled well around icy corners and slick straight aways. I only have the stock tires on her but I was impressed. She handles the ice and snow well.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
at first I found I couldn't get comfortable either (in my 2010), it reminded me of the old SN-95 Mustangs.....

unlike my Mustang however I eventually got used to the seating position in the Yaris, I would imagine the 2012 is the same way, strange at first but you get used to it.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
Still Learning

Drives: 07 Yaris 3Dr HB
I'm 6'5" and have no problems driving long distance in my 07. Head room is excellent. I could use a little more leg room but for a small car it isn't bad at all. We haven't had much snow here so far but I sprung for 4 Bridgestone Blizzacks for the winter. We had a slushy day last week and the Yaris cut through the slush with no problem with the snow tires on.
Still Learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
hello from a fellow subaru owner!
I don't think the Yaris is too bad comfort-wise. We always take ours on trips because my wife can't drive my car (manual trans). After 4 hours or so, I start getting stiff, but I think that's a function of my back rather than the yaris. I also agree about the wheel, I find it enough of a reach that my arms get tired (I'm 6' tall, so my arms aren't short). For trips less than 4 hours, no issues whatsoever.

and BTW, this is totally true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocobo87 View Post
... the turning radius on the Yaris is FFFFAAAARRRRRR superior than the Subie...
I often cringe when my wife makes tight maneuvers in the yaris (I don't expect it to work!) I have to 3 point tight parking spots in my car lol
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote