Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-22-2015, 12:01 AM   #1
BentSpace

Drives: 2009 Yaris Base
Fix for Broken Speed Sensor Wire?

My friend's speedometer stopped working on her 2009 Yaris. I went to investigate and found the black wire going into the speed sensor on top of the transmission was cut, probably by a mouse. Unfortunately it's cut right at the plug, so I can't really splice it back together. The dealer, of course wants to charge $1200 for a new wiring harness. I was wondering if there’s a way to open the plug and reintegrate the broken wire?

If not, my other idea was to find that plug in a salvage yard and cut it off with enough wire to splice it onto my friend's car. I wasn’t able to unplug her's, it’s kinda hard to reach from the top. It is a plug though, right or is it hardwired into the sensor?

If I splice in a new plug in, will that work or would the possible slight change in resistance screw it up?

Any other ideas for how to fix this thing without having to replace the whole wiring harness?
BentSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
Go to another dealer (since the one you went to is incompetent) and ask them for repair wires for that harness (for most connectors, wires/pins can be removed and new ones added in their place), or a new repair connector for it (these generally come with a short length of wire, with this you can replace the entire unit). They exist for pretty much every wiring connector, and most certainly for any that are external. They will need to spend some time, but they can find it for you.

If you don't want to do the work yourself, a competent dealer would be more than happy to effect repairs. There's no way it would cost $1200 to repair a single connector.

Failing all that, if CTScott is checking the forums, he'd know the part numbers for you. :) And might be able to sell you parts.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
It's a plug. The connector should be common for most Toyota vehicles of that age, but I would double check with an online parts listing to be sure.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #4
BentSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepd View Post
...repair wires for that harness (for most connectors, wires/pins can be removed and new ones added in their place),
Thank you. Is that easy to do?
Old 05-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
shepd

If it's like the cruise control upgrade, you'd slide a plastic retainer to the side, push/pull the bad pin out, push the new one in, and close the retainer.

However, it could certainly be different. Could require a tool to slip around the pin to loosen it, or other possibilities. Someone who has repaired this harness before would know...

Personally, I'd try to get a repair connector that's already got pins/wires in it and just cut off the old one and solder (suppose you could crimp, but solder is the longer lasting repair) on the new one. Less likely to have trouble dealing with adding/removing pins that way.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:13 PM   #6
BentSpace

Talked to the Toyota parts guys. Said he needs the 5 digit number printed on the connector to order a new one. Sounds like I might just be able to repair the connector I have. Can I just remove the pin from the connector and reattach it to where the wire was cut?
Old 05-27-2015, 06:48 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I believe I have one on hand. I will check for you shortly.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:48 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Yes I do. I can shoot you a perfect one with a nice long pigtail to splice for $20 shipped.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #9
BentSpace

Thank you. I'll let you know. Is it possible though to fix this connector with what I have?
Old 05-27-2015, 10:11 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentSpace View Post
Thank you. I'll let you know. Is it possible though to fix this connector with what I have?
If you can splice the existing wires back together and waterproof them (heat shrink tubing) you would be OK. The questing is if you have enough wire coming out of the connector to make the splice.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:37 PM   #11
BentSpace

No, that's the problem, it's cut right at the connector. Was wondering if I could open up the connector and reattach the wire to the pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2015, 01:33 PM   #12
shepd

I would not recommend attempting to splice a wire inside the connector. It is unlikely there's enough room to do it. You'll spend more time fighting it than its worth, and it is likely to fail again in the future as it will be difficult to seal.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:01 PM   #13
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Just get the one Scott is offering to sell you. Come on, it's only 20 bux!
Old 06-02-2015, 07:04 PM   #14
BentSpace

Not sure how to send a private message with this tapatalk app, but I would like to buy your part scott, could you send me a message please with the details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk