Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-28-2015, 12:34 PM   #1
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
P0101 and lean condition - redux

It's been nearly 2 years, but the problem I posted here briefly returned while I was about 400 miles from home last weekend - http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48749

I suspect perhaps it's fuel related. Both times I had filled up at somewhat sketchy looking gas stations (unfortunately that's all that was available to me last weekend). Anyway, I stopped for fuel, made it about 50 miles, then stopped at another gas station to take a pee (that 50 miles took nearly 2 hours thanks to horrible traffic on I-65 below Montgomery). Start to leave the gas station and the car's coughing, barely accelerating, surging around, etc. I turned the S/C off, then turned the car off and on again and it still was doing the same thing. Made it a few feet down the road and it threw a CEL. I pulled the codes and it was P0101 and lean on bank 1. Last time this happened it took a long time for it to go away. This time I just left the boost off and drove down the shoulder of the interstate holding the brakes to keep the revs high and the engine under load. After maybe 30 or 45 seconds of doing this the revs settled out and it stopped sputtering. I cleared the codes and drove it about 20 miles with the boost off (felt like I was barely moving, lol). Codes didn't come back, so I turned the boost on and made it the remaining 300 or so miles back home without problem. Once back in town I added some proper fuel from a Shell station and put some gumout fuel injector cleaner through it. I dunno if the injector was clogged or what exactly happened. I'd love to hear thoughts on what it may be.

For those not familiar with my car, I'm running a Blitz S/C with AFE intake and injectors from a Celica. I still haven't installed that AEM F/IC I bought (I know, I know) a year or more ago, so I don't really have a good idea of what exactly was going on. Car's been fine since then, but I'd really like to know what causes this.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
The only time I've had power loss and stuttering was from a loose intake manifold. Of course it required turning some bolts to fix and not just a tank of good gas, so maybe that's not as helpful. I've also never changed the fuel filter, but I'm still well under 100k miles. Might be worthwhile to check that as well.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
47_MasoN_47

Fuel filter was one of my thoughts as well, but like you I've not even got 100k on mine yet. It ticked over to 78k this weekend.

Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
Old 05-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #4
coheed

Drives: 08 BB LB
I'm at 180xxx miles and had no issues with my fuel filter. But I am all stock motorwise, so you are probably pulling a lot more fuel through the filter.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:35 PM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
The only time I had sputtering and stalling similar to your symptoms was when my MAF sensor became half unattached.

I do frequently get P0101 code about once every month or two. It is caused by sitting idling for a long time like when i'm waiting at the border or if in heavy traffic which rarely is the case. I chalked this up to a very small vacuum leak due to my diy oil catch can that may not be fully sealed.

Not sure if that helps any
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:23 PM   #6
47_MasoN_47

Last time this happened I bought a new MAF sensor (80 freaking dollars) but it didn't fix the problem. Mine runs rich at idle because of the celica injectors. That's what confuses me. Generally when the car's not in boost it's running rich. It seems like it would have to be some sort of clog or something in the injector to be causing a lean condition.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:48 PM   #7
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Interesting. I've got 255cc injectors from a 1ZZ (Matrix) and generally have no issues at idle. It stumbles a bit of late, but I'm not really picky about where I get gas, so it could be a fuel quality issue. Curiouser and curiouser.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote