Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
smoking alternator connection

Okay so ive been having some sort of electrical issue for about a year and a bit now. 2010 Yaris HB

about a year ago my yaris would randomly die. at that time it got tested at the shop and they determined it to be the battery at that time. changed the battery and Car ran fine till a few months ago, battery light would randomly turn on, everything else would work fine but the light would be on, it was too cold for me to address it and then it went away on its own.

a few days ago the car died again. was doing the same thing as before, slowly losing power till the battery was flat. got it home and went over the system and verified the alternator was not putting out any voltage.

what I found was a lot of corrosion on the main connection to the alternator, I touched it and the alternator immediately began putting out voltage to the battery. but a section of the connector started to glow so decided I should take it apart to clean all the corrosion off.

after cleaning the car runs again and appears to be charging but I'm only getting about 13.6-13.8 v at the battery no matter the RPM. also the peg on the alternator is still getting hot and the wire is also getting hot but the battery light is off.

Before replacing the alternator, is there anything else I can do here and test or clean