Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-02-2014, 01:27 AM   #1
jeeper5usa

Drives: 2011 Toyota Yaris
Remote Start Bug, please help

This problem has been annoying me for years. I bought the car new, got remote start put in right away, but when it is cold out, the car doesn't start! I had it back to the people who installed it, but they say nothing is wrong or they can't duplicate. But I can rarely start car with the remote start mostly when it is cold. It just cranks and cranks and seems like it isn't getting any gas. Starts right up with key everytime. Every once and awhile it does start in the cold and no problems in the warmer weather. Battery is Optima and new. The colder it is the less of a chance of it starting with the remote start. :( Thought about having another place install a whole new remote start system but thought someone here might know why this is doing this?! It's freezing here and remote start is pissing me off. Is this an easy fix? Was thinking maybe they didn't place chip close enough to receiver in steering column? Wires seen a mess underneath. It does remote start sometimes. Always in warm weather, rarely in cold, what gives?
jeeper5usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:12 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper5usa View Post
This problem has been annoying me for years. I bought the car new, got remote start put in right away, but when it is cold out, the car doesn't start! I had it back to the people who installed it, but they say nothing is wrong or they can't duplicate. But I can rarely start car with the remote start mostly when it is cold. It just cranks and cranks and seems like it isn't getting any gas. Starts right up with key everytime. Every once and awhile it does start in the cold and no problems in the warmer weather. Battery is Optima and new. The colder it is the less of a chance of it starting with the remote start. :( Thought about having another place install a whole new remote start system but thought someone here might know why this is doing this?! It's freezing here and remote start is pissing me off. Is this an easy fix? Was thinking maybe they didn't place chip close enough to receiver in steering column? Wires seen a mess underneath. It does remote start sometimes. Always in warm weather, rarely in cold, what gives?

If your Yaris is a 2011, it has the engine immobilizer and therefore also has a transponder key bypass module. The module gets triggered by the remote starter to transmit the code of one of your keys. If that code does not get transmitted correctly the starter will crank, but the car will not start.

The most likely issue is a thermal sensitivity of one of the components of key bypass module. To test this you can take one of your extra keys and tape it under the lower steering column cover next to the ignition switch. If with the key there the car starts reliably, then the key bypass module is the culprit.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #3
jeeper5usa

Thanks Scott. Yes I have tried that but it still doesn't turn over. I don't understand because if I try to start it with the key it starts right up. It does start by remote start every once and awhile, but those times are few and far between so much that I gave up trying to use it as hearing the starter going for 10 minutes doesn't make me happy. I am lost and just about given up hope and resigned to the fact that I have to get another one installed by a different place. If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it. I don't understand why they make these so unfriendly to install by a DIYer. Finding install directions is next to impossible. I will be dropping in a different shop soon I guess, winter is not yet over and although I spent the money, I'm not enjoying the benefits of my remote start.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks Scott. Yes I have tried that but it still doesn't turn over. I don't understand because if I try to start it with the key it starts right up. It does start by remote start every once and awhile, but those times are few and far between so much that I gave up trying to use it as hearing the starter going for 10 minutes doesn't make me happy. I am lost and just about given up hope and resigned to the fact that I have to get another one installed by a different place. If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it. I don't understand why they make these so unfriendly to install by a DIYer. Finding install directions is next to impossible. I will be dropping in a different shop soon I guess, winter is not yet over and although I spent the money, I'm not enjoying the benefits of my remote start.
try it again with the key right near the outside of the ignition switch (just hold it there while you hit the remote starter button).

If it cranks but doesn't start the key bypass is definitely the culprit. Do you know which one they used?

Also, it may be worth getting under the dash to find the bypass module (and disconnecting it while testing). If it has an issue and is sending a bum code that may be fouling the key that you hold by the ignition from being read properly. Also, you can go through the procedure for the module to make it relearn the key and see if that helps.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
jeeper5usa

Ok I held the key right next to the ignition and the first time it didn't start, the second time it did. Think it's still the bypass module? I will root around for the bypass module once the weather gets warmer/better as right now we are being hit with that snow and I hate working on my car during the winter. How do I make it relearn? Am I just rebooting it like a computer?
Old 01-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Ok I held the key right next to the ignition and the first time it didn't start, the second time it did. Think it's still the bypass module? I will root around for the bypass module once the weather gets warmer/better as right now we are being hit with that snow and I hate working on my car during the winter. How do I make it relearn? Am I just rebooting it like a computer?
I still it is likely the module. The relearn procedure typically involves some series of actions (key on/of, etc.) to get the module in the learn mode. The key is finding out what module it is, so you can track down the manual for it.