Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2018, 09:09 PM   #1
M4One

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Toyota Engine Oil System Cleaner Service

I'm due for my next service. Besides the oil change, it's suggested that I have an engine oil system cleaner service which removes varnish, sludge and thickened oil in the lubrication system. It's $40 Canadian for the service. I bought a can of STP multi-purpose motor treatment which I was going to pour into the gas tank. But, I can pour it into the crankcase, too. It's similar to Seafoam, or so I've read. Would using the STP be the same thing as the suggested service from Toyota?

Also, I'm not mechanically inclined, so would I simply be pouring the STP into where I would put engine oil into?
M4One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
If you engine really is dirty, then a few short consecutive oil change intervals should clean it up. It is a safer way to clean an engine, IMO. When I bought my 08, the oil was both low and very dirty. I did a few short changes (1500 - 2000 km or so each, I have a large oil stash and a case of filters). The drained oil from first and second changes was quite dark. Since then, it is very clean after 5 - 6K kms. Personally, I would shy away from additives, especially strong solvent types which is likely what they are offering. There is some speculation that these strong solvents are bad on seals, gaskets etc. Also, if your engine is really dirty from neglect, you may dislodge contaminents and they may circulate around your engine, potentially causing a blockage to such things as your valve train. Unless it has been severely neglected (very long oil change intervals, short drives in really cold weather etc), your engine is likely fairly clean and, as such, probably wouldn't benefit from a "flush". Sounds like a money grab to me.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:57 PM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
^agreed. Plus if it's only $40 CAD at a dealership then they likely are not doing anything more then throwing a cleaner in the engine
Old 04-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #4
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
Save your $40 and skip the "Toyota Engine Oil System Cleaner Service". Toyota does not list any such service as being required in the maintenance manual. Your Toyota dealer on the other hand is in the business of upselling you extra services you really don't need.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #5
M4One

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Okay, I'll just go for the oil change. Thanks.
M4One is offline   Reply With Quote