Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
nish1979

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Fitting rear speakers in Toyota Yaris

I have a 2004 Toyota Yaris. I have standard speakers in the front doors and two in the top of the dash. I'd like to fir two more speakers on the back parcel shelf. Does anyone know the best way to connect these two new speakers to the standard Yaris head unit. For example converting and running the front 4 speakers into one output so I can then wire in the two new ones? Thanks
nish1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
The car wasn't actually made for 6 speakers. at least, not 6 full range speakers.

i had actually disconnected the dash speakers and sent the wires to the rear.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
nish1979

Drives: Toyota Yaris
I was thinking of doing the same thing. However I have a 2 channel amplifier so I may just use this amp to power some rear speakers. I don't want to change the standard head unit as I don't need anything too fancy and don't want to loose the factory look. I'll have to connect a high to low power connecters to connect the amp though. Do you know what the best way to connect this cable is? I've been told to cut into the speaker outputs from the head unit.
nish1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
I am not sure of the location of the dash speakers, but if they are in a good location, you could always buy a quality set of components, and build a mounting bracket to stash the tweeters in the dash and stick the mid woofers in the door.

rear speakers should only be used for "fill"...for proper imaging you DO NOT want noticable sound in the rear. most sound junkies will tell you that you do not even want rear speakers. I run them myself, but the fader is set so far to the front you cant really tell that they are there.

if you are not running a subwoofer, i would personally run a set of cheap midbass drivers(like tang bands), run a cross over to them, and add some lower end bass to your system, allowing the front speakers to run 100hz+ to prevent distortion at higher volumes and improve overall sound.

lower bass is omni directional for the most part, and in the small box that is a car, you wont really notice where the bass originates from, making the rear a ideal place for woofers.

however, ears can pinpoint mid and high frequencies, and you do not want to be bombarded with sound from behind, which is why if you run speakers in the back, its best to fade to the front. most people argue with me and say to ditch the rears all together, but, my system sounds pretty good, and i see no reason to remove them since you cannot tell they are there anyway.

however, if i was building a system from scratch, i would most likely use the rear deck to mount some midbass drivers, instead of mounting them under the seats as i have done with my current set up.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
on the first gen yaris, since there is already such a big hole on the dash..

the guys over here are installing 3 way components in theirs.. tweeters on the pillars, mid-range in the dash and mid-bass in the doors.

anyways... what spades says it's true. a good pair of speakers in the front is worth much more than installing them in the back. Plus, you don't destroy your rear hatch cover. i'm not sure where you want to install them, but well... the speaker gets in the way if you install it on the rear hatch.

IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote