Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #19
Yar Is Word

Drives: Yaris 5 door liftback
You would not have to worry if the car was Certified rental. However, you need to go to a Toyota dealer. I bought a used Certified ECHO that had 19,000 miles. I saved about 2K from list. The car had been a Hertz rental. It came with the remainder of the original factory warranty plus and additional 5 year warranty on major and some minor mechanical. The dealer honored the warranty when it applied.

Last edited by Yar Is Word; 03-01-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Yar Is Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #20
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
They have factory warranties....... If you do not buy one then they go off to be sold at auctions or direct to car dealers. They are really no worse than any other used car.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #21
darkmoon87

Drives: 08 Yaris
If you are trying to buy the ex rental cars, I recomment you to not do so. Most of them aren't maintained properly because branches want to save money.
How does oil change every 10~15k km sounds like to you?

Need a proof? I am working for Enterprise if it matters to you in any way.

darkmoon87's picture thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10013
darkmoon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #22
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmoon87 View Post
If you are trying to buy the ex rental cars, I recomment you to not do so. Most of them aren't maintained properly because branches want to save money.
How does oil change every 10~15k km sounds like to you?

Need a proof? I am working for Enterprise if it matters to you in any way.
That is right on the money, I worked for Hertz and the maintance is stretched a bit all to save $$$. The cars usually sound rough and have had a hard life. Also if it a car from the the northern areas where it snows they do not get any under body cleaning. Plus the paint is usually scratched up since they only see mechanical washers that wash filthy cars all day and don't really get rinsed off. I wouldn't do it.

rentals=
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:58 AM   #23
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobojon View Post
I see that Enterprise and Hertz sells their old rental cars. They both have 2007 and 2008 Yais rental cars for sale. Would you consider buying an ex-rental car?
I considered it, too, but decided against it. First, I was looking for a manual transmission and those are very hard to find, and even if they were selling them, I don't know if I would trust a car driven by a lot of people. You never know how they handled the car. My 2 cents.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:36 AM   #24
Ace

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Have friends that work at rental car place, they all say they would never buy an ex-rental cars. That's good enough for me.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #25
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
I would -- and did, if the price was right. True, you don't know how they were driven by the renters, but you DO know they were properly maintained by the company; oil changes all done on time, etc. My Suzuki Swift was a year old and, while it had quite a few miles on it already, I got a really good price at Thrifty and never a day's trouble.
otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #26
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I would -- and did, if the price was right.
That's a good point. I forgot to say, another reason why I didn't go with the ex-rental is because the price of the car was not all that competitive.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #27
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
Quote:
I see that Enterprise and Hertz sells their old rental cars. They both have 2007 and 2008 Yais rental cars for sale. Would you consider buying an ex-rental car?
1)did you hear the story in ny that some guy was not allowed into his own car without passing a breathlyzer(locked to steering wheel)

so he went out and rented a car to get drunk while driving and later he crashed it into a pole

2)my friend once rented a car at age of 16(yes, he paid extra just to drive, i believe it was like 100 dollars for that one day)

well, he purposely went over huge potholes, redlined it, did wheelies in parking lots. I also remember he did a HUGE Neutral drop, that the tranny snapped with a thok sound, but later it still worked. awww such immature days

3)I personally beat on the rental cars i get.

Moral is: NO to REntal Cars
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #28
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
hell no!!! ill tell you why... 7 out of 10 will push that car and not care about anything such as bumps and other stuff..being automatic its safe to say that it was never redlined..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #29
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
That all depends. Some of the places offer extended warranties and a very good price. Some do a great job of maintenance. Some don't!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #30
twowheels

Drives: '09 Meteorite Metallic 3 dr MT
Nope, no manual transmissions. :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #31
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar Is Word View Post
You would not have to worry if the car was Certified rental. However, you you need to go to a Toyota dealer. I bought a used Certified ECHO that had 19,000 miles. I saved about 2K from list. The car had been a Hertz rental. It came with the remainder of the original factory warranty plus and additional 5 year warranty on major and some minor mechanical. The dealer honored the warranty when it applied.
That's my thinking too. My Yaris is an ex-rental, returned to the Toyota dealer after the lease was up. Interior and exterior was/is in great shape, I got to test drive it twice (once with dealer, once without), and it still has plenty of warranty left. I also saved about 3K from list price.

I did see many other ex-rental Yarii in my shopping travels, and not all were in as great condition. Definitely do your homework on the car's history and give it a thorough check over.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #32
cfiimei

Drives: Sedan
10,400 for an '08 auto sedan with 7k miles back in December. The car is flawless and has lots of warranty left. It was an Enterprise rental.
cfiimei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #33
deancgibbons
Viva la Yaris!

Drives: Yaris 07
I would buy one and get a warranty.

Last edited by deancgibbons; 03-16-2009 at 12:32 PM.
deancgibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #34
Arkhangel

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Depending on where you live, Here in Puerto Rico I woulnt
I used to work in a Rental Car and the cars when they were selling them werent in real good condition, alot of the body work and mechanical work was done on the side a lot of times not even reported so even you did a check of the car with the dealer (where they were supposed to do the maintenance) they never knew. and the collision info was never known either since they never reported when a bumper was changed or any of that.. ultimately i left that company because of there shaddy dealings. just to clarify it was a small local company. Im NOT saying this is the way other companies work!
Just my experience with that company, which i wont mention
COUGHH Quality Car Rental Cough
Sorry throat hurt

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. --Tom Clancy
Arkhangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #35
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
You take your chances with any used car. Why would a private owner sell a perfectly good car with low mileage?????? There is mystery with whatever you buy.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote