Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #199
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
...or Adams
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #200
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Sorry bout that, but it was just a test day for me to make sure nothing broke. I didn't fail sound, which is always a good thing, but I have a bad in cabin drone I need to figure out.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #201
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
2nd place Overall Pax for the year..

1st place was a Mini Cooper S in DS

3rd was a 300Z in SSM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61806_10151344595850535_1711143498_n.jpg (50.5 KB, 55 views)
Old 12-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #202
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Well the results for the event san Diego finally came in,i managed to place 13th in pax which is something I've never done. I even came ahead of some jacket holding nationals winners which was a bit of a surprise to me.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #203
Steve35

Drives: 2008 HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
Well the results for the event san Diego finally came in,i managed to place 13th in pax which is something I've never done. I even came ahead of some jacket holding nationals winners which was a bit of a surprise to me.

A very well earned victory in STF!!

Steve
Steve35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #204
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
Nice work. Tough crowd down there.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #205
ilikerice

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=g-Force+Rival

New tire all the ST people are buying up for this year.. This may be my next set
Old 01-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #206
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I just picked up a set of Z2's for street/backup/rain duty. Still sticking with my Toyo's until its proven one of the newcomers is faster, which I hope happens, I hate the Toyos.

The only thing that worries me is the "rivals" are really heavy, which could be a bad thing on such a light care like ours. I would be picking up something like 7lbs a tire and ~30 lbs is a pretty significant amount of weight.

Also don't forget but Kumho has the 720 street tires coming out as well so in the next few months we'll see who has the real magic.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #207
ilikerice

Yea. Agreed. Weight is a killer.

Oh snap! I forgot about the v720s. I will prob try to squeeze every foot i can out of these azenis 615k. Will wait and see
Old 01-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #208
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Just informed the weight might be off so we'll see.

Yeah my contis are so bald that I felt it was safer to drive my Mustang...when its pouring rain today. I srsly can't wait for my new tires to show up driving that gas hog around is killing me.

Yeah but its not just the v720, the new Toyo's are supposed to be out this year along with the new bridgestones so this new crop of tires is really good for choice hopefully a magic last forever rcomp level of grip tire pops up. One can dream
Old 01-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #209
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=g-Force+Rival

New tire all the ST people are buying up for this year.. This may be my next set
Just got back from NOLA and the BFG Rival launch... Seems like a good tire, but I don't think much can be taken from this product launch. There were four stations set up to test the Rival against a number of competitors, but no real data and no lap times were provided (or taken). The entire event relied completely on butt dyno, which I feel is useless - all to often things that feel fast are slow, and vice verse.

A little background: we were not allowed to launch any of the cars (they were saving the clutches) so it was impossible to get a read on off the line bite. We had to run all of the autox courses in 2nd gear only, and we were not allowed to left foot brake (they had problems with people doing this the first day and overheating the brakes). None of the cars were optimized to benefit/maximize any one tire, all of the pressures were set to match the door jam plate, making it as fair as possible for all. I was told none of the autox cars had any type of performance adjustments, even the alignment was OE spec.

The skid pad was not done on a flat surface, there was a big crown in the lot, which made the one piece of data (iPad G meter) completely useless. And the "instructor" in the passengers seat was shouting out peak Gs, there was no sustained numbers - and as you might imagine without a flat lot it was easy to trick the meter and generate a higher number. This test was the BFG Sport COMP-2, Rival and R1-S.

The short autocross course was done with the Subaru STi. The one thing that was a little suspect here is that while TC appeared to be turned off some level of Stability Control was still on, which made it difficult to tell what the tire was doing and what the car was doing. The Toyo (R1R) was no match for the weight of the STi, it always feels like the wheels are going to scrape the ground when you put them on a big car. The Hankook (RS3) was a great match for the STi, it allowed excellent mid-corner rotation, and the car could be placed exactly where you wanted. The BFG felt as though it was bogging the car down, it was tight in the middle of the turn, and the rear of the car would simply not rotate - as if it had to much stick, or as if the Stability control was binding the car up.

The long autox course paired the BFG and Hankook up again, this time on the E46 BMW M3. On the BMW I felt as though each tire had an advantage on a certain part of the the course. The BFG was far superior in the high speed transition section, as the car was much more stable. However, in both high and low speed turns I liked the rotation offered by the Hankook much better.

On the road course we had a the ex Miller Cup Mustangs (FR500s), with the BFG versus the Falken (615K). This was another exercise that I did not find particularly useful due to the limited number of laps and having done no previous laps at the facility. The BFG seemed to be more stable under braking, had more grip on corner entry, and put power down better than the Falken, but without laps times or data there is no way to actually measure the difference in performance.

So far the best information on this new tire comes from the Tire Rack. They have done a good bit of testing including comparative tests, and they have a number of very experienced drivers on staff. I don't think the test results are posted on the TR website yet, but they showed them at NOLA, and the Rival did beat all of the competitor tires they ran it against. The test results were typically very close, within tenths. The other nugget of info we got is the BFG Rival likes to be stretched, not pinched. One of the fitments covered was a 235 on a 9" wide wheels. Sounds very R1R like in the sense that smaller sizes are going to be the ticket.

I am sure it wont be long before we see some real world results with the Rival, and it certainly appears it will be a challenger in all the classes, and due to the size line up it should own the classes with bigger cars.

BFG put on a first class event, and if you live in the area NOLA is a great facility, racers down there are very lucky.

Last edited by Jason@SportsCar; 01-24-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Jason@SportsCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #210
FHT_Racing

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris 3-Door
Great info!
FHT_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #211
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Its good to have some first hand knowledge. I still fear the newcomers won't overclass the existing Toyo's on the ligher cars, either from gearing or because they were engineered for 2500+ lb cars. In either case I'm glad new tires exist as I hate the existing Toyo's they feel like driving on erasers.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:26 AM   #212
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Had our first event out of the year today at Fontana. The new setup on the car works amazingly now its just my turn to learn how to drive the car correctly.

I'm kinda pissed at myself I ended up PAXing 40th, but I had a +1 run that would have put me in 15th place, above some big name national champions. Oh well guess I have next event to fix it.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:57 AM   #213
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Jason: Thanks for the info

ilikerice: congrats on the 2nd place finish

namer: fix it :)
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #214
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

So I'm registering for the SD national tour, which is on Easter btw such a bad choice, and I decided to check out the Georgia National Tour reg list just to see how STF is stacking up around the country.
The Georgia tour STF is one of the biggest classes, but its looking a little empty over here on the west coast. Almost makes me wish I was in Florida over So cal...almost.

Well got the first event of the year at San Diego tomorrow I'm hoping for a better performance than my last event.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #215
ilikerice

Sweet, good luck. Yea, I will be at the Dixie tour this year.. unfortunately our first event here in Buccanner region was canceled for feb. so that leaving me with little practice before the Dixie National in March.. I may need to hit up some South Carolina or Jax event before.. Still need better tires before Nationals.. I really dont wanna run these Azenis
Old 02-03-2013, 12:22 AM   #216
NJ Drive

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
I'm really excited for the season to begin as well. I'll be doing the DC, NJ, & Toledo Pros, Dover Tour, Devens Match Tour, and Nationals. I wish the Dixie Tour wasn't so far... good numbers in the class.
NJ Drive is offline   Reply With Quote