Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
charles nelson

Drives: red Liftback
What trailer electrical connector required?

I have a Class I (1 1/4 inch) receiver hitch on my Liftback. I have used it to carry a bike rack.

I would like to pull my kayak on a small trailer. Total weight will be about 300lbs. What type of electrical connector would be required to connect the rear wiring to the trailer? What type of electrical 'isolator' might be needed?
I have seen Corolla connectors, etc.

I know that Toyota says not to pull trailer...but tongue weight would not
exceed 30 lbs (10% weight pulled). I do not carry rear passengers.
charles nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles nelson View Post
I have a Class I (1 1/4 inch) receiver hitch on my Liftback. I have used it to carry a bike rack.

I would like to pull my kayak on a small trailer. Total weight will be about 300lbs. What type of electrical connector would be required to connect the rear wiring to the trailer? What type of electrical 'isolator' might be needed?
I have seen Corolla connectors, etc.

I know that Toyota says not to pull trailer...but tongue weight would not
exceed 30 lbs (10% weight pulled). I do not carry rear passengers.
You won't find a harness that is made for the yaris, but you can use tap splice connectors (available at radio shack, home depot, or autoparts stores) to tap into the existing wiring. You will also need a trailer light module to combine the brake and turn light outputs. The module also takes care of the isolation.

Here's an example of one that came up on a quick google (this kit even includes the tap splices):

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-ELEAF~118...utm_medium=ppc
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
charles nelson

Drives: red Liftback
The harnesses I have found seem to need a direct power lead from the battery rather than tapping into the 12VDC at the rear. I would rather not have to feed a power wire all the way from the engine to the rear. Is this really required or can I get by with a module which gets its power from the rear wiring. My trailer has low power bulbs.
charles nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles nelson View Post
The harnesses I have found seem to need a direct power lead from the battery rather than tapping into the 12VDC at the rear. I would rather not have to feed a power wire all the way from the engine to the rear. Is this really required or can I get by with a module which gets its power from the rear wiring. My trailer has low power bulbs.
If your trailer just has one set of lights (no front side lights or clearance lights) you should definitely be able to get by with one that grabs power from the tail lights.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote