Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
Ratz

Drives: 2011 Yaris 4 Dr. Sedan
GPS nuvi installation

Never liked tripping over the wires from installed accessories. This is my nicer way to install GPS. It can still be removed (theft reason) but have not decided on type of finger puppet to go over the GPS mounting stud when GPS is removed. Any suggestions?

http://www3.telus.net/oceanready/GPS%20001.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/oceanready/GPS%20002.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/oceanready/GPS%20003.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/oceanready/GPS%20004.jpg
Ratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratz View Post
Never liked tripping over the wires from installed accessories. This is my nicer way to install GPS. It can still be removed (theft reason) but have not decided on type of finger puppet to go over the GPS mounting stud when GPS is removed. Any suggestions?

First, use the image tags (img) and not the ones for a link (url)!

Secondly, please share with folks what mount you used in case they want to try the same set-up.

Lastly, is the glove box behind the steering wheel accessible when you have your nüvi on there? It doesn't appear it is.

Cheers! M2
Old 01-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
Ratz

Drives: 2011 Yaris 4 Dr. Sedan
Happy to help if anyone is interested.

As I like to be able to go back to stock I also purchased spare steering column plastic cover as the original has a holes in it for the fasteners. So this way when I remove GPS I would replace the column cover with new one (P/N 45286-52934-B0) and be back to original undamaged column cover.

I cut the front end of the original GPS mount after I knocked out the pin and removed rubber suction cup. This way when it rests in the column the base does not stick out forward of the hump on top of the column. 3rd picture shows the cut off the best. As the Garmin GPS I use has 90 degree USB plug I had to drill 5/8” hole and then installed rubber grommet which made the hole smaller and saves the wire from rubbing. If the GPS is removed wire slides into the hole and just a small piece of connector is showing which does not look offensive. I used two black anodized screws on a angle so they are flush with the bracket. since the plastic is thin I used sheet metal screws retains (available at any automotive or body shop supply store.) which made the bracket hold nice and snug. I dabbed some silicone sealant on the ends so the retainer do not vibrate loose.
When I am driving I have a nice clear vision of the Garmin 4.3” screen. within the steering wheel rim.

Since the Garmin power supply is minimal and I wanted to be able to turn the power off to it, I opted to connect it to an radio circuit.
It is too bad Toyota engineers did not think of including accessory power supply by the fuse box. I find running wires to cigarette lighter unsightly and did not feel like removing console to connect it to that circuit on the inside. Radio was easy to remove.

Lastly to MadMax , thank for encouraging me to write my installation in greater detail. To answer you question this is a left hand drive car and there is no glove box behind the steering wheel so there is no obstruction to anything.
Ratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Ratz

Nice write-up, thanks!

As for the glovebox, I thought yours was a hatchback/liftback, which do have gloveboxes behind the steering wheel. Sedans don't. It's not a matter of LHD/RHD...

I need to run the power cable in my hatchback, I use one of those pig-tail ones that stretches out and it's a bit of a pain. I still use the suction cup stand on the bottom of the windshield, since I have several vehicles and only one nüvi...

Cheers! M2
Old 01-22-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
That's a clean install!
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote