Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #109
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper26 View Post
I wanted to break 700 too. Woulda coulda shoudla! The winter REALLY killed my average though...
Yea .. I am not looking forward to winter. I understand from the previous owner that gas mileage really goes down in the winter. I just got my car in May .. so no winter driving yet.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #110
narly charley

Drives: 2010 Yaris "L" 5 Speed
The previous three fill up's I did, I got exactly 41.4 MPG... That's pretty consistent huh?

Yesterday I filled up and I got 43. I can't wait until Fall comes and I don't have to use the A/C and the air isn't so moist.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #111
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
We'll have to try out a '12 with the 5 speed manual . Nice .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #112
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
I've reached 50mpg twice, both times required a definite effort with hypermilling.

The first time on a long highway only trip which I was able to make on one tank of gas, keeping my speed lower, but still legal.

And the second time with only one 30 mile (guess) highway trip across the river and the rest spending a majority of the time with city driving.

I was shocked about that, but they key with the high city mileage was simply adjusting the route for as few stops as possible, keeping the RPMs as low as possible (in example running in 5th at 35 where the horsepower requirements were really that small), basically just a matter of finding that sweet spot of what you just barely need to meet the requirement to maintain the speed limit. Engine braking and use of DFCO and then finally even shutting off the engine to glide in neutral on long solo stretches (popping it back in gear to restart).

Really the choice of route discovered mostly out of necessity for bicycling, had the greatest impact on my city mileage.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #113
Giccin

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr HBK
Hi new to the Forum but I've been browsing.

Holy smokes, you guys are getting incredible miles on your yaris! I've been getting 40mpg high way if I'm hypermiling and at 3.7L of oil. I accidentally overfilled it to 4L and it dropped to 32mpg. :/ Note this is on a 2009 Yaris.

Do you guys type of gas, oil level and oil type has something to do with mpg?
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #114
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
I use normally Shell gasoline (bronze type) .. which I think is 87 Octane. It contains apparently .. nitrogen and ethanol.

As far as oil .. just normal Toyota oil 5W30.

I really do not know if oil or gas has any relevance when it comes to gas mileage.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #115
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
Hi new to the Forum but I've been browsing.

Holy smokes, you guys are getting incredible miles on your yaris! I've been getting 40mpg high way if I'm hypermiling and at 3.7L of oil. I accidentally overfilled it to 4L and it dropped to 32mpg. :/ Note this is on a 2009 Yaris.

I never pay much attention to where I buy gas, and I do use synthetic 5W30, but that's just for protection. I really like this car so I take care of it :) I have no idea what effect the oil would have on the mileage, and if it did I would doubt it would be worth the extra cost.

You can easily drain off your oil by backing out the drain plug just enough to let oil seep out. Too much oil isn't a good thing I just take my time and prime the filter before replacing it and check the dipstick, run the engine for a bit to completely fill the oil filter check it again and add oil as necessary.

One thing I noticed is that when my mileage drops off, I usually just need to replace my air filter (or in my case, clean and re-oil it).

I think my worst was around 32/33, spirited driving during the winter.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #116
narly charley

Drives: 2010 Yaris "L" 5 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I really do not know if oil or gas has any relevance when it comes to gas mileage.
It does... You can get way better mileage with gasoline without ethanol, but that's hard to find...
Old 07-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #117
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
As an aside - I tossed a bottle of techron into the tank after my recent oil change @ 26'000 miles, UltraGuage on this tank 45.4 mpg so far. Although the UltraGuage always seems to be about 1 mpg higher than actual pump/mileage calc, Stop at first click. So I am guessing 44 and half.

Now in the summer this is a game for me, all this mpg stuff. the 2 sweet spots appear to be 42 mph, and 60.3 mph, I barely arrive at stop signs and red lights, cruise control is engaged ALWAYS, foot is almost never on the brake, always being taken off the gas. Stock tires @ 38 psi.

I do wish sometimes those sales guys in Hanover weren't such......................well I would have bought that 5 speed instead of the Auto.............................

cheers.

The above was an add on to a post on a previous thread/topic. just an update, that tank after a little under 8.5 gals yielded 43.66 mpg.

I think that is the best I have done, of course you didn't want to be behind me this past week, taking exits and creeping up to stop signs and red lights.

cheers.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #118
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
, see them all the time . From the teens to the elderly . Also saw a state trooper on a cell while driving the S.U.V. patrol vehicle . We've had 2 cars totaled thanks to being rear ended . Makes you a bit leery of what's going on back there .
You're right, teens to the elderly. I spent most of April of this year in Florida and the southbound side of Biscayne Blvd in the Miami metro looked like a sea of DUI/DWI drivers floating out of the boundaries of the lane each onr was in. Each time I managed to pull alongside the driver on the passenger side I saw a person engrossed in texting and not looking at the road AT ALL....and it ranged from teenagers to the elderly.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:30 AM   #119
Gigi is my girl <3

Drives: 08' 3Dr Hatchback 122,000
Personal best is 51.6. Whole tank was spent in Tetons and Yellowstone when I worked there summer of 2010. Since then, 46 has been the best at moderate 65mph, highway driving. In the city I have been getting mid 30's. I always fill 89 gas if available, some places only carry lower grade. Can't complain thats for sure!
Gigi is my girl <3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #120
dfhnpdx

Drives: 2009 yaris
Consistent 39-40mpg. Best 42. I drive 1415 miles a week. 2009 LB manual 140,000 miles on the clock
dfhnpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #121
charles nelson

Drives: red Liftback
My Yaris AT has a 'sweet spot' at about 52 mph. If there is no head wind...I get 48-52 mpg. Noticeable drop in mileage slower or faster than this.
charles nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #122
schume

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles nelson View Post
My Yaris AT has a 'sweet spot' at about 52 mph. If there is no head wind...I get 48-52 mpg. Noticeable drop in mileage slower or faster than this.
I'm glad that you said that. I've always had a feeling that certain slow speeds weren't very economical (45 and below). I had nothing to back up the suspicion besides watching the fuel gauge go down. Now if I can only find a 52mph road :)
Old 08-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #123
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by schume View Post
I'm glad that you said that. I've always had a feeling that certain slow speeds weren't very economical (45 and below). I had nothing to back up the suspicion besides watching the fuel gauge go down. Now if I can only find a 52mph road :)
I usually drive between 55-60 mph in the slow lane. Your post piqued my curiosity re would it be legal to drive 52 on the freeway in Texas. I did a few searches and it seems that unless a minimum is posted then it is up to the LEO what constitutes too slow (drats).
Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #124
edmscan

Just did a fill up .... 666 KM and 37.362 litres. Works out to 5.6 L/100 KM or 42.00 US MPG. Not too bad .. the weather has been hot so I expected a slight decrease.

I also changed my Fuelly .. so it makes sense to more people. I will see how that works out for me in the future.

Last edited by edmscan; 08-11-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #125
mspeedman
I've made a post!

Drives: YARIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by narly charley View Post
The previous three fill up's I did, I got exactly 41.4 MPG... That's pretty consistent huh?

Yesterday I filled up and I got 43. I can't wait until Fall comes and I don't have to use the A/C and the air isn't so moist.
What was your fastest average highway speed and what percentage of your tank was highway driving?
Also, what are your tire pressures?

Best I can get on my brand new 2012 with an napa gold filter and chevron is about 36 mpg per tank @ 80% highway between 70 and 85 mph.

BTW,what is the elevation of the range you drive?
I'm at 14 above sea level; i'm guessing that's why some of you are in the 40's, the air is thinner in OR an WY and the adirondacks...

Anything to get up the MPG's, boy. I'm actually thinking of putting some motorcycle tires on my rear to minimize drag.
Thanks in advance,
Old 08-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #126
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeedman View Post
What was your fastest average highway speed and what percentage of your tank was highway driving?
Also, what are your tire pressures?

Best I can get on my brand new 2012 with an napa gold filter and chevron is about 36 mpg per tank @ 80% highway between 70 and 85 mph.

BTW,what is the elevation of the range you drive?
I'm at 14 above sea level; i'm guessing that's why some of you are in the 40's, the air is thinner in OR an WY and the adirondacks...

Anything to get up the MPG's, boy. I'm actually thinking of putting some motorcycle tires on my rear to minimize drag.
Thanks in advance,
Welcome....."Anything to get up the MPG's".....if you really mean this then.....SLOW DOWN!