Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Angry Broken Windshield

Grrrrrrr Broken windshield. Scheduled replacement on Monday.

Rock pinged the glass in the lower corner of the DS and the crack goes up to the black dotted area

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Bob,

How many times do I have to tell you not to play sissors, paper, rock with your car? jk

When you get the new screen do yourself a favor and get new wiper blades too.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
Bob,

How many times do I have to tell you not to play sissors, paper, rock with your car? jk
So on the opposite side of the planet, phrases are spoken backwards too?

J/K

(it's spoken...rock, paper, scissors)
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
lol its cause their toilets flush backwards
Old 07-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
solarVitz

Drives: 08 Yaris S Liftback
Send a message via AIM to solarVitz Send a message via Yahoo to solarVitz
i know how it feels to have a broken windshield. ive only had my car in less than a month and this stupid rock hit my windshield. left a small crack. its been 1 1/2 years now and i havent replaced mine yet. the crack is 2 feet long now. im just waiting for the right time to replace it.
solarVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Great news..... when I picked up my car they had installed a new glass with a nicke tint strip across the top. I am pleased.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:32 AM   #7
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:35 AM   #8
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
Bob,

When you get the new screen do yourself a favor and get new wiper blades too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
Great news..... when I picked up my car they had installed a new glass with a nicke tint strip across the top. I am pleased.
Hope you got new wiper blades too.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
Yeah... I bought mine with 14 miles and it had the nice blue tint strip... then I had a crack and had it replaced 2 months ago... and got a plain jane windshield... I was pissed... turns out that my "original" wasn't an original... must've been damaged in shipping the first time.

I WANT MY BLUE STRIP BACK!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
In all my years of driving I have never broken a windshield. Weirdest thing.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
never drive an 80's jeep... my 86 cherokee would get a chip every time a rock hit it.... good thing it sat a lil higher than most cars.... otherwise i'd've (its a word dammit!) been fixing chips every other week.

I think in one summer I had 3 chips and 1 replacement windshield.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:54 AM   #12
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Consider yourself very luck. During the winters, the amount of sand that goes down has some pebbles in it and that does it to the windshield. Small nicks seem to be repairable but if hit hard enough...cracks sure can spread and if it is in the viewing area or over a certain size, car may not pass yearly inspection. Glass companies love it.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #13
Eatoman

Drives: '07 Yaris 5dr HB
Has anyone ever had any significant problems with their windshield? I bought my car in August and the windshield was in perfect shape, no scratches or cracks to be found anywhere. Last week, out of the blue, I noticed a crack running along the bottom of my windshield!! It started on the drivers side and extended to the middle! This morning I noticed that the crack has spread even further, extending all the way to the passenger side! How does this happen? Is the windshield on a Yaris that crappy?? I'm 100% positive that nothing struck the windshield, like flying rocks or other debris because there are no chips anywhere to be found. Is it possible for a windshield to crack that easily in cold weather? Reason I'm asking is because about a month ago I installed a remote car starter. Could it be that the warm air hitting the cold windshield caused it to crack? I also noticed that the crack is on the outside of the car, and not on the inside, since I can't feel the crack when I touch it. Thanks for your feedback!
Old 12-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatoman View Post
Has anyone ever had any significant problems with their windshield? I bought my car in August and the windshield was in perfect shape, no scratches or cracks to be found anywhere. Last week, out of the blue, I noticed a crack running along the bottom of my windshield!! It started on the drivers side and extended to the middle! This morning I noticed that the crack has spread even further, extending all the way to the passenger side! How does this happen? Is the windshield on a Yaris that crappy?? I'm 100% positive that nothing struck the windshield, like flying rocks or other debris because there are no chips anywhere to be found. Is it possible for a windshield to crack that easily in cold weather? Reason I'm asking is because about a month ago I installed a remote car starter. Could it be that the warm air hitting the cold windshield caused it to crack? I also noticed that the crack is on the outside of the car, and not on the inside, since I can't feel the crack when I touch it. Thanks for your feedback!

My Yaris has quite a few chips, but no cracks as of yet. The good size chips often eventually run into crack, particularly during super cold weather. In prior vehicles, I seldom got more than 2 years out of a windshield, due to the fact that they don't screen the sand that they use on the roads very well.

As for why yours cracked; It probably had a chip (which could have been very tiny) that eventually saw the right amount of flex to make it start to run. Even a scratch can turn into a crack if force is properly applied.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #15
Eatoman

Thanks for the feedback CTScott! I just checked the windshield and there are no chips or scratches to be found anywhere...just this huge crack. I'm starting to wonder if the heat from the vents hitting the cold glass could have caused it to crack. I'm really at a loss. Looking at the placement of the crack, it is directly on top of the dashboard vents that heat the windshield...exact same length as well. Really weird!
Old 12-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #16
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
If it started on the side, like at the extreme drivers side, you may even want to peak under the weather stripping. All windsheilds, not just Yaris are very prone to get cracks if they hit on the edge. Thats what happened to mine about 2 months after I got it. Hit right on the edge and didnt crack until about 2 hours later. Some cars have a wide edge or weather strip on the sides, some do not. Ours does not and I think it does make them more susceptible to edge cracks, IMO
Old 12-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatoman View Post
Thanks for the feedback CTScott! I just checked the windshield and there are no chips or scratches to be found anywhere...just this huge crack. I'm starting to wonder if the heat from the vents hitting the cold glass could have caused it to crack. I'm really at a loss. Looking at the placement of the crack, it is directly on top of the dashboard vents that heat the windshield...exact same length as well. Really weird!
Laminated automotive glass is designed to handle extremes in temperature and fast temperature transitions. There has to be some type of flaw or damage for it to crack from thermal expansion. If there is no visible chip or scratch (although a scratch would be almost impossible to identify once it becomes a crack), then it very possible that there was a flaw in the glass that eventually failed.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #18
Eatoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
If it started on the side, like at the extreme drivers side, you may even want to peak under the weather stripping. All windsheilds, not just Yaris are very prone to get cracks if they hit on the edge. Thats what happened to mine about 2 months after I got it. Hit right on the edge and didnt crack until about 2 hours later. Some cars have a wide edge or weather strip on the sides, some do not. Ours does not and I think it does make them more susceptible to edge cracks, IMO
I see what you mean. The crack does start below the weather stripping, on the bottom near the wiper blades. Seems like a small crack may have formed below the weather stripping which eventually expanded. Man this sucks!