Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #19
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
You might get a little more power w/ it removed...until the MAF quickly learns to adjust for the extra FLOW, unless maybe you're always at WOT...and it's nice insurance to have in the event you have an oiled filter installed.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #20
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Nope, still using Toyota paper filters. Eh, I might take it off, but I don't think I'll have the time to since I start school again soon.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:47 AM   #21
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
If you pop the lid on the intake what is the screen like filter at the top part of the air box. Is this what everyone is talking about as the secondary filter??
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #22
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
yes
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #23
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
You might get a little more power w/ it removed...until the MAF quickly learns to adjust for the extra FLOW, unless maybe you're always at WOT...and it's nice insurance to have in the event you have an oiled filter installed.
The MAF sensor simply moitors air flow and the ECU/PCM adjusts fuel flow acordingly to manrtain a proper air/fuel mixture. Otherwise it will be running lean every time you increase airflow.

Anyway, from what I can gather from reading, it seems that removing it ("the carbon trap") does not really increase perfomance to any worth while degree.

BTW, I never had a problem with a K&N filter in all the years I have used one. :smuile:
The one problem I did have with a MAF was on a car that didn't even have a K&N in it and was running the stock filter.
If I had a K&N installed, would this now have been blamed on it?
We all have to be careful not to jump to false conclusions.

Also, even Toyota a sells oiled, K&N type filters... it's called a TRD filter so even Toyota has no problem with them.

Some very interesting info. Be shure to watch all the videos.
http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

Last edited by RedRide; 08-27-2009 at 02:05 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #24
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
The MAF sensor simply moitors air flow and the ECU/PCM adjusts fuel flow acordingly to manrtain a proper air/fuel mixture. Otherwise it will be running lean every time you increase airflow.

Anyway, from what I can gather from reading, it seems that removing it ("the carbon trap") does not really increase perfomance to any worth while degree.

BTW, I never had a problem with a K&N filter in all the years I have used one. :smuile:
The one problem I did have with a MAF was on a car that didn't even have a K&N in it and was running the stock filter.
If I had a K&N installed, would this now have been blamed on it?
We all have to be careful not to jump to false conclusions.

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm
Yes, you can clog up your paper element, run w/o a filter, or use an oiled filter, but the MAF will take its measurments to help keep the oiled filter guy from actually "boiling the tires at 55mph" (true story)...oh, he can claim it, but it's not actually reality, just all in his mind.

BTW, I never had a problem with any of my K&N filters and CAI systems, but I've seen lots of dirty MAF meters, oiled & paper filters alike. So I don't need to be careful, I've seen actual proof of dirty MAF meters and confirmed datastream info (calculated engine loads, before and after a cleaning)

Oh, and in a recent magazine (MotorAge?...can't really remember) they had an article on MAF meters and oiled elements. I noticed their claim that many automakers will not honor warranties if oiled filter is installed.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 08-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #25
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
......Oh, and in a recent magazine (MotorAge?...can't really remember) they had an article on MAF meters and oiled elements. I noticed their claim that many automakers will not honor warranties if oiled filter is installed.
This just illustrates the misinformaton out there as Toyota sells an oiled filter. So, how can they not honer a warrenty?
We all know how some dealers tend to not want to honor warrenties and look for excuses.

There has never been a doumented case where an oiled filter caused a MAFS to fail.
The worst case senerio can be where a filter is over oiled. Even then it can be cleaned.
A dirty MAFS does not equel a "failed" MAFS.

A MAF can fail for various reasons and just because an oiled filter is installed, does no mean the filter is at fault.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #26
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
This just illustrates the misinformaton out there as Toyota sells an oiled filter. So, how can they not honer a warrenty?
We all know how some dealers tend to not want to honor warrenties and look for excuses.

There has never been a doumented case where an oiled filter caused a MAFS to fail.
The worst case senerio can be where a filter is over oiled. Even then it can be cleaned.
A dirty MAFS does not equel a "failed" MAFS.

A MAF can fail for various reasons and just because an oiled filter is installed, does no mean the filter is at fault.
I didn't name any makes, just remembering something written in a professional auto repair mag--the average Joe will never read it, it's mailed to auto repair shops for free.

Never said MAF sensors were *ruined* with paper or oiled filters installed, said I've seen lots of dirty sensors.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD