Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Great Lakes
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
Smallstrup

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Snow Tires

Not sure if this is the right place to post (I'm new to YW)... I'm wondering about snow tires. I live in Minneapolis and they are obviously a good thing to have in this state, but I'm wondering if they really help (I have no car intellect) - also how much they are and if anyone knows a good place in the Twins Cities to pick them up?

Any other tips you may have would be appreciated!
Smallstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
yes, they really do help. the worst snow tires are better than the best all-seasons as far as snow traction(especially with our oem goodyears). the tire compound in snow tires is softer than all-seasons to remain flexible when the temperatures drop. all-seasons are typically formulated for long-wear, thus the tires are pretty hard and slip easier when it gets colder. snow tires typically have deep grooves to help 'claw-through' snow and some are even designed with many sipes(slits) or micropores to help evacuate water better for icy conditions. others can be studded, but you should check if that's legal in your state(it will help on ice, but hurts roads and loud when dry).

i don't know of places specifically in the twin cities, but i regularly check tirerack.com and discounttiredirect.com for deals. both are reputable websites and widely used. the problem is, however, that snow tires will require a second set of rims or you will have to pay to get them remounted on your original wheels. also, because of their soft compounds you really shouldn't drive on them year-round or they will wear quickly and your handling will be compromised(they can be kind of 'mushy' so be careful!). figure to spend at least a couple hundred for the cheapest new snow tires and more to get wheels or have them remounted. the websites i listed above will mount/balance free if you purchase a combo, but you will have to pay shipping. good luck!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
Smallstrup

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
ok, hopefully this is an easy follow-up question...
How do I know what to buy?
Old 11-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
any snow tire is 100x better than any all season in the cold and snow. so you can pretty much get whatever is cheap in your area for snow tires and be ok for the winter
Old 11-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Buy the best you can afford. Michelin X-Ice Xi2 get top honors right now from the experts that test the performance of these kinds of tires, but the Toyo Observe is also excellent with ground up walnut shells imbedded in the tread to give you grip. Michelin uses silicone in the tread for grip on ice. And as long as you remove them in spring and put you're all-seasons back on you should get about four winters out of a set. I'm going to give the Michelin's a try as there not a whole lot more than any other brand buying them a Costco. The Michelin also says the tire remains fuel effecient when driving on dry roads compared to other winter tires.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote