Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Tuned my blitz s/c'd yaris with the greddy emanage ultimate...

Alright, i'll tell you the scoops, even though I don't got the dyno graph yet. Seriously, Hawaii's shops never have ink or paper for their printers. Anyways....

The guy who tuned my car did the before and after pull in 2nd. I don't know if that is the reason their dyno read 120whp for the "before" dyno pull, instead of 140whp which a different dynojet gave me before i took the car to get tuned? Because the other place that read 140whp, did the pulls in 3rd. I'm no wizz, and I'm not sure if that is why there is a difference, or if it's just because every dyno is different? Anywho...

From what I remember, they were able to make it so I peaked out with HP at around 6500 RPM; instead of the hp dying off at around 6100 RPM. That is where I made 143 whp. However, there are parts where they advanced the timing, and there are gains of 30 + whp in the mid range. The car really pulls hard and strong now. It seems like I zoom through 1st and 2nd, and then I'm on the notorious long 3rd gear. Hehe.

So I guess you could say they got a gain of 23whp on the top end, but across the graph, like i said, there are gains from 20-30 + whp across the mid range. I am really happy about that.

So in the end, I had

143 whp/133 tq (i think that was the torque) oppossed to 120whp/ ? tq (the before numbers that the tuner got on their dyno)

and the dyno results I had before this ( on the different dyno jet ), was 140whp/133 tq.

So I honestly now have no idea how much WHP i have on this car. If you wanted to do the math with my old dyno numbers, I guess you add 23 whp to 140whp, and you got 163whp. It honestly feels like something in the 160 whp range (just from driving the car around). However, like i said earlier, the 140whp was done in 3rd, and all the dyno runs/tuning was done in 2nd. Does it make a difference, idk?

Also, another thing the tuner said, which was stated by blown_xA on yarisworld, that yes, the belt does slip at a constant high speed. The tuner was saying it's best when going through the gears, but when holding a steady high speed with the pedal to the metal, the belt will be slipping. So I should crank the sh+t out of it (tuner's words) and hope I don't break the belt. However, the belt slipping is not noticable while driving the car, and I don't think it's that big of a problem for me. It's just a daily driver and i don't even have a drag strip here....

Anyways, I am hoping to get the graph sometime soon (emailed); but he'll probably forget to email it and i'll have to wait until the got paper/ink again.

Also, he had no problems with the ultimate and it is holding the tune just fine. He said I can unplug the car battery and the ultimate will still hold the tune.

Sorry for the long post.

ps: For those of you with the blitz kit, and wanting more power, and don't plan on going turbo in the future, i definately suggest getting it tuned. The payoff is worth it and it's like almost getting the power of another blitz kit with 1/3 of the price (or less).
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
H3LlIoN

Drives: '09 Yarrrr hatch
Dyno'ing in different gears will change the numbers slightly, but not in the 20hp range. It has to do with ratios. I'm surprised they did yours in second...hadn't heard of that before. Always 3rd or 4th.

Special thanks to Cali Yaris, 1NZYaris1 and lilredrocket
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
H3LlIoN

Oh right...congrats on the gains, looking forward to seeing the graph. You s/c guys are my N/A goal.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
PETERPOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LlIoN View Post
Dyno'ing in different gears will change the numbers slightly, but not in the 20hp range. It has to do with ratios. I'm surprised they did yours in second...hadn't heard of that before. Always 3rd or 4th.
Yah, I've always heard of them doing it in 3rd too. However, when I did pulls on a dynapack before, the guy said it's better to do it in 4th on that kind of dyno. I asked the guy who tuned my car in 2nd, why he did it, and he said because 3rd gear is just so tall and takes forever to do it, he ended up doing it in 2nd.

You want to be able to get my whp numbers while being N/A? No NOS? Just from driving this car around now, I don't think it'd be possible.... but that is a good goal!
Old 05-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
H3LlIoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
You want to be able to get my whp numbers while being N/A? No NOS? Just from driving this car around now, I don't think it'd be possible.... but that is a good goal!
Well...my initial goal is to beat the stock s/c numbers, which isn't hard, since they are 120's on a good day. After that, it's to beat 150, which should pretty well cover the modded s/c guys, AFAIK.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
PETERPOOP

true. some guys like Ltnoogie (automatic) are only putting down around 120whp. He is probably the most "stock" supercharged guy out there right now.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
H3LlIoN

I was using the Turbo Magazine numbers for the stock s/c, since they literally just ran s/c + TC + muffler, with no pullies or anything.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
PETERPOOP

The ultimate replaces the fuel controller and allows the tuner to control alot more things. My AFR is at about 11.5 during open loop (according to their dyno). However, my wideband is showing 10.5 during open loop. All other AFR numbers are fine during normal driving and idle.

I used 92 octance with meth injection (HEET). I didn't do a 1 to 1 ratio of meth and water. Just pure HEET. Not sure how much that raises the octane levels?

I never had any detonation problem while running the meth kit with HEET. Up until i ran the meth kit, i was using a bottle of lucas octance booster with every tank. I would only see slight detonation even without the octance booster.

I also had the tuner wire it so the compressor turns on all the time. There is now no need for the switch and the electric clutch. And let me tell you, it's a lot quieter not hearing that stupid clicking noise every 3 seconds. ;) I guess this would also allow it so I could run a fixed pulley that would give me more boost; however, I won't be the guinea pig for that.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #9
H3LlIoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
I guess this would also allow it so I could run a fixed pulley that would give me more boost; however, I won't be the guinea pig for that.

More hassle than value, IMO. Housing only capable of a safe 9 to 10 psi, which is minimal gain over your current charge. You would also have to add bypass actuator, which is where expense would come in.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
PETERPOOP

Yah, like i mentioned in the MI forums, I'm already at 8-9 lbs of boost. I don't know how many more lbs of boost I could add and still have it run safely, for who knows how long. I'd also would want it retuned with the fixed pulley, and that's more $$.

I'll just enjoy what I have now for my DD, and see if anyone else is willing to step up.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
H3LlIoN

When I get to the S/C part of my build, I'll give you a run for your money. :-P

Old 05-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
PETERPOOP

:)
Old 05-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
H3LlIoN

but then again, i won't be running blitz...:-D

Hey quick question...did your guy tune yours through the device itself, or via laptop?

Old 05-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #14
PETERPOOP

I believe he did it through his laptop. He didn't use the discs that came with my emanage, and said he had all the software already installed on his laptop.

You going to run the greddy s/c? eaton?
Old 05-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #15
PETERPOOP

True. However, the bang for the buck of tuning the supercharger is definately worth it. It's probably the best bang for the buck mod I have done to my car. Yet, if you plan on getting rid of the yaris, or the s/c, then I understand. But if you don't want to tune it because you don't think it's worth the money, i'd have to disagree. Best investment towards my s/c'd yaris. However, if you are wanting goals that equall to garm's turbo'd yaris, then ya, this tune won't even make you the slightest pleased.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #16
H3LlIoN

Peter---no. Not blitz/greddy or eaton which, coincidentally, are all the same basic s/c, a magnuson MP45. Unit maxes out @ 10 and can not be mechanically inter-cooled. HP would max out with full complement of bolt ons in the 170 range...not enough for me.

Camell---run NOS on your s/c. The hp gains will be minimal, but the torque will flat slam you into the seat.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #17
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
any chance you can email me your tune? ;)

very nice gains though pete, koodos on taking the time/effort to tune your car!
Old 05-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #18
PETERPOOP

thanks. i would if i could. the tuner has the cord that hooks up to a laptop. if i ever get the dyno graph from them, i'll ask if they have the tune file or whatever. :)