Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
DaveG

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB
Dipstick covered in oil-help!

So, I just did my 10000 mile oil change on my 2010 liftback. Its the first oil change for this car I've done, since the dealer gave me 1 free oil change for 5000 miles. I've changed oil before. I looked up in the owner's manual that the Yaris uses 3.9 quarts of oil, so I put in 3.5, thinking that I'd see it on the dipstick, and then put in just a little more. Well, when I pulled out the dipstick, it was covered in oil about halfway up. Not the oil level part with the two dots, but halfway up the entire dipstick!
So, is there something I'm doing wrong, or did I put way too much oil in the car? It looked like this after running the engine for 1 minute, and also after running for 5 minutes and cooling for 5 minutes. Is the car safe to drive for a while? And, if I put too much oil in, how do I get it out???
Thanks in advance for the help!
Dave
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
OK, so can we assume you drained the old oil out first? I'm not trying to be a smart ass,just asking...... If so, did you wipe off the stick first before measuring, and of course with the engine off? And did your drain the engine and not the tranny? I know these may sound like dumb questions b,ut if you drained it right and filled it with 4 quarts or less, it shouldnt look like that.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
DaveG

Yes. I drained out the old oil, replaced the filter, and then filled with new oil. I wiped off the dipstick, then inserted it for approx 3 seconds before removing again. Its almost like oil got up into the sleeve where the dipstick goes. The dipstick has a lot more oil on one side than the other, depending on how I insert it.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Let it sit for a few hours then recheck . The backside of dipstick usually reads a tad higher than the front . The metal dipstick has 2 dimples on it , I put the dimple side in facing the front of the engine for a reading . Let us know how it goes .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I always pull the dipstick out and remove the oil cap from engine then remove filter and drain oil. Not sure how oil could be stuck in tube. Is it black on the stick or look clean oil?:

bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
DaveG

Hey sorry I havent posted back in a while. At 11000 miles the dipstick is still unreadable no matter how long I let the car sit. Instead of oil right up to where the level is, there is a thin film way past the two indicators. I did wipe it down before reinserting and reading. I'm worried that the dealer messed something up when they did the 5000 mi oil change, or that the engine doesn't have enough oil, and is going to destroy itself. Is the engine supposed to hiss slightly when I step on the gas?
Old 10-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
you're not running the engine are you? your not supposed to check it running. you run it...for like 10 seconds then turn it off. or, you can safely assume to be about a 1/8" high on dipstick cuz when it goes into the filter that's where you'll be...full...

any way, just check it before you get in the car after it sits for a while. seems to me like you're either runnign it or checking immediately after running engine and it will be covered in oil...cuz the crank is slinging oil everywhere in there.

if you drained it and put in 3.5-4 quarts you're fine...unless you are using an aux cooler, second filter, or have a setup to check oil pressure with a secondary gauge.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
i bet it was engine running while checking..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
zachryboles
Chunk love Yarii

Drives: 2008 Silver 3DR Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
i bet it was engine running while checking..
+1 im going to take a stab that this is the case.
06 Vette, 08 Cobalt SS, ?? Civic Del Sol, 10 Audi TT
zachryboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
DaveG

I promise the engine was off, but checking after the car sits seems to work much better. It reads full on one side, and a half inch past full on the other side.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #11
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I promise the engine was off, but checking after the car sits seems to work much better. It reads full on one side, and a half inch past full on the other side.
the heck????????????
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #12
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
sliding it in and out...hehehe...puts oil on the tube...and dragging it downward puts oil higher than it should be. you're fine
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
yea that makes no sense. Pull the dipstick out, wipe it clean, and then reinsert it to check it. If the oil level is not the same on both sides, um, well i think you somehow entered an alternate universe.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #14
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Hey sorry I havent posted back in a while. At 11000 miles the dipstick is still unreadable no matter how long I let the car sit. Instead of oil right up to where the level is, there is a thin film way past the two indicators. I did wipe it down before reinserting and reading. I'm worried that the dealer messed something up when they did the 5000 mi oil change, or that the engine doesn't have enough oil, and is going to destroy itself. Is the engine supposed to hiss slightly when I step on the gas?
If the engine didn't have enough oil a check engine light should appear. The dip stick is hard to read after a oil change. It is easier to read when the oil is dirtier.

For piece of mind have the oil changed again. I always do my own oil changes. That way I know it is done right.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #15
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Its a 2010 just take it to the dealer and say whats up with the dipstick reading, if it truly was full halfway up the dipstick you would have oil gushing out somewhere when the car is running, maybe somewhere along the line some one put in the wrong dipstick..
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #16
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
maybe somewhere along the line some one put in the wrong dipstick..
It's a known condition called Caveatipse's Revenge.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #17
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I check my oil level after the car has sat OVERNIGHT.
Works like a charm.....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #18
cfeng

Drives: Yaris 2010 Liftback
i always have trouble reading these dipsticks too. they don't seem to be the best. i just find the lowest spot with a "u" matching on both sides of the dipstick, the u seems to be the remnant from the meniscus in the tube. anyone know of a better dipstick that would work for our engines, maybe one with hatch marks?
cfeng is offline   Reply With Quote