Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Drives: 09 Yaris 3D; 05 R6; 00civic si
Unhappy "Clunk" When Turning

I have a 2009 3-door with 14,750miles (I'm taking her in this upcoming week for the 15K)

I have noticed in the past 2 weeks that when I have the wheel completely cranked over to the left I hear this loud "clunk" when I accelerate from a stop. (Like making tight U-turns or turning into a parking space). It will also happen in reverse when the wheel is cranked over. I tested it out and it's fine for tight right turns.

Does this sound like it could be a CV boot issue? I'm going to try to investigate under the car again today to see if I can see anything torn, but haven't noticed anything when I checked a few days ago.

Now, I noticed this clunking sound shortly after I was forced to straddle debris on the freeway from an accident. I think I straddled someone's tail light... So, I don't know if that was the culprit.

I'll be bringing this up when I take it in for the tune up, but peace of mind is always nice when I commute 50+ miles several times a week.

Any input is quite welcomed.

Last edited by KRAZGRL; 07-18-2010 at 02:42 PM.
KRAZGRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Could be a bad strut bearing or mount.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Don't turn your wheel all the way, especially while stopped. Its hard on the power steering and dangerous. I make U-turns on 2 lane(each way) roads and when I start moving the wheel is still straight. Also, if your wheel is turned while you are stopped, and you get rear ended, you get pushed into oncoming traffic.

If its only one direction it sounds like you tweaked your P/S rack from slamming it on U-turns.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post
Don't turn your wheel all the way, especially while stopped. Its hard on the power steering and dangerous. I make U-turns on 2 lane(each way) roads and when I start moving the wheel is still straight. Also, if your wheel is turned while you are stopped, and you get rear ended, you get pushed into oncoming traffic.

If its only one direction it sounds like you tweaked your P/S rack from slamming it on U-turns.
I don't sit with my wheel turned... lol And I don't "slam" it on U-Turns or any turns. There are times where you just need to make a tight turn.

I was just giving an example. If I am turning into a parking space (or in the process of making a U-turn) it will make this sound. Even backing out of a tight spot where I have to turn the wheel to back up at an angle.

It never has made this sound before. It's not like I changed my driving.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Could be a bad strut bearing or mount.
That's what I'm wondering.. I jacked the car up today and looked at all the boots and everything is fine. No signs of trauma or any kind of leakage anywhere.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
Cutie Pie #2

Drives: 2014 Honda CR-V LX
This has happened to my husbands van (not the yaris) it ended up being a bad wheel bearing they just repacked it, now the other one is doing it (should have gotten both done at same time).

My Yaris was doing something similar like that on turns, I took it in and they found rocks in the brake rotor area.
Cutie Pie #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:

how in the HELL did you speculate all this from the OP ?

lay off the chronic, dude
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZGRL View Post
That's what I'm wondering.. I jacked the car up today and looked at all the boots and everything is fine. No signs of trauma or any kind of leakage anywhere.
bad bearing, or bad cv joint, loose strut

should get professional diagnosis, or you may end up with one
wheel busted and non-steerable if something is going bad
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
Yarus Maximus

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5-dr auto
Take it to service immediately! You are covered up to 35k miles.
Yarus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #10
yarrr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
how in the HELL did you speculate all this from the OP ?

lay off the chronic, dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZGRL View Post
when I have the wheel completely cranked over to the left
That's how. There's multiple posts on here, and anywhere you look on the internet stating the damages from turning the wheel all the way to the lock.

Do you have anything useful to post, or just trolling, as is your MO these days.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #11
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Quote:
That's how. There's multiple posts on here, and anywhere you look on the internet stating the damages from turning the wheel all the way to the lock.

Do you have anything useful to post, or just trolling, as is your MO these days.
Oh geeze... People need to stop reading into the wording and just imagine the scenario.

I used that terminology to let people know it's not just in simple turns... I don't have the wheel completely LOCKED over to the left, just more over than the typical 90 degree (or so) turn of the wheel, like for most turns at a street light.

Here:
Imagine.. you are waiting for a parking space on the left row. You are stopped so the car can pull out. Then you slowly pull up and turn LEFT (obviously you need to "crank" the wheel over more than you would for a turn at a light). As you begin to accelerate to move into the space.... "CLUNK".

Maybe a diagram would help others...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parkinglot01.jpg (55.5 KB, 265 views)
Old 07-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #12
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Just scheduled my 15K for Wednesday. When talking to the service guy about this issue, he said that it could be a tire issue with how a tire is wearing. (They all look fine to me). I'll post up Wednesday with how things go.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #13
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Quote:

Whoa... Farrrr outttt !!! Whatr we smokin here?
Sounds like more like a loose nut upstairs, if you ask me...

bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #14
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolinko View Post
Whoa... Farrrr outttt !!! Whatr we smokin here?
Sounds like more like a loose nut upstairs, if you ask me...

Seriously, huh?
Old 07-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #15
yarrr
Banned

Maybe your comprehension of the english language would help, your diagram did nothing for me. Completely cranked means only one thing. I smoke a lot of pot, but that has nothing to do with the situation. But, I must be really high because no matter how many times I re read my first post, I can't figure out how or why someone would take offense to it.

Did you figure out the problem yet? Or still clunking away and drawing pictures to help it out?
Old 07-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #16
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Could be a brake pad hanging up . We had a 1st generation MATRIX that did the clunk / click thing . Over time it went away with wear . Also some 1st generation VIBES ( MATRIX ) we test drove did the same thing . Hopefully just a pad , not a CV joint or other . The top of the strut can do that . The bushings . Have you hit any nasty potholes ? That'll do it . Let us know what it turns out to be and good luck .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:30 AM   #17
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Quote:
Maybe your comprehension of the english language would help, your diagram did nothing for me. Completely cranked means only one thing. I smoke a lot of pot, but that has nothing to do with the situation. But, I must be really high because no matter how many times I re read my first post, I can't figure out how or why someone would take offense to it.

Did you figure out the problem yet? Or still clunking away and drawing pictures to help it out?
Obviously you didn't see that I have an appointment tomorrow to take the car in.

But how did this get from a thread about help with my car to about my comprehension of the English language?

I said before that maybe I used the wrong terminology, but it seems like 99.9% of the people on this forum who read my post could understand what I was getting at. Maybe for the .1% (you) I needed to put it more simply and in stoner-speak.

Look: How about not smoking weed and not jumping to conclusions and just try to be helpful instead? I wasn't offended by your post, more so confused as how you came to some conclusions like me having my wheel turned while not moving or "slamming" it on U-Turns. To me, saying I "slam" it in U-Turns is more or less a stab on my driving.

Quote:

I appreciate your concern, but you don't know me, my driving habits, nor my background in cars/education.

I would prefer that you not reply to any further posts in this thread as you are not helping any resolution as you do not even comprehend the situation.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:30 AM   #18
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Could be a brake pad hanging up . We had a 1st generation MATRIX that did the clunk / click thing . Over time it went away with wear . Also some 1st generation VIBES ( MATRIX ) we test drove did the same thing . Hopefully just a pad , not a CV joint or other . The top of the strut can do that . The bushings . Have you hit any nasty potholes ? That'll do it . Let us know what it turns out to be and good luck .
I'll definitely bring this up tomorrow when I take the car in. Thanks.