Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-04-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
MWAHAHAHAHA

Today.

Summit Racing.

Nitrous.

My Yaris.

Watch this shit.

What can I say... I'm bored with 90 HP.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Be careful. I wouldn't do anything more than a 50 shot. You gonna have any way of tuning it? If not you will probably want to go with a wet system.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:57 AM   #3
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Take it to a good shop to have them install it. It wouldn't hurt to sit down and have a nice long talk with the shop about what needs to happen to make the power safely. Dataloging is a good idea.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
50 might even be too much. NOS rule of thumb is get a shot that is 1/2 of your cars horsepower.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:15 PM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I need NOS... Two bottles... The big ones... so I can be faster and furiouser but maybe get danger to my manifold and the floorboards will fall off...

Jokes aside, this could be interesting, please please take in in-car video!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:00 AM   #6
ChinoCharles
Banned

OK, so here's my saga.

Last night I came to the decision that nitrous is a good step for this car. Everyone wants reliable power for a low price. A lot of us have mentioned having something that can be turned on or off so the car can exist as a daily driver while still being fun at the track. There hasn't been much talk of nitrous because, well, its nitrous. You love it or you hate it. My thinking is that I was in the market for the cheapest way to 140 HP and this is it. Someone has to be the test bunny, right?

This, of course, means that any time my car has to go into service I get to spend hours making it at least look like it might be stock again. Lets hope that Toyota reliability is all its cracked up to be. The goal then was to have the kit in the car in 24 hours. Total cost would be $569 + tax and a full bottle. It is a ZEX 50 shot dry universal nitrous system... picture below.

cca-82014_w.jpg

Quote:
ZEX dry nitrous systems feature an "Active Fuel Control" that reads bottle pressure and adjusts fuel enrichment to give optimum power safely at all bottle pressures. In addition, their exclusive throttle-position sensor switch "learns" the voltage curve of the engine's throttle position sensor, to activate the system at wide-open throttle every time. ZEX systems come pre-assembled and tested, so you know they'll work right out of the box, and you can install them quickly--there are no brackets to install or microswitches to adjust, and jet changes are simple.
It comes with a couple features that make it relatively safe. It is nothing I am going to really be able to use at low RPM. However, on the freeway if you're cruising next to me at 60 MPH and I want to run, I'll flip a switch on the dash, sink into third and if your car is anywhere near slow, I'm gone.

Summit Racing, 11 AM this morning... I walk in with my wallet in my hoodie pocket in anticipation of immediate use. Then we get to the desk and are told they aren't in stock. Its on display in the store, but it isn't in stock. 1-2 week delivery time. F#&*@^%@^#$

So I got a hold of Chris right away and told him I am going to need the bits and pieces of that hacked up Scion xA intake overnighted so I can weld up a custom short ram in time for the arrival of the kit. I was going to buy the ZEX filter and mount that, but if I have at least two weeks to stew on this I'll try and keep it interesting. I'll throw a K&N filter on the end and when the nitrous gets here, I'll tap the top of the filter. Booya. Then I get to take the car out on the road and test it once. Freeway after the engine has had a chance to warm up. After that I turn the system off until I can get to the dyno and work out an exhaust. It may be test pipe time.

In lieu of the nitrous, I got down on my car today anyway. I installed the tach (which looks amazing by the way, pics soon) and I installed the shark fin and the header again. Oh, and I did some... um... rearranging of the stock intake. Lets just say shes breathing nice and easy now. It has some zip already. I'm going to see where this goes... worse case scenario, you'll see a classified ad for a cheap ZEX kit soon. I love being young and stupid.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:18 AM   #7
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Be careful. I wouldn't do anything more than a 50 shot. You gonna have any way of tuning it? If not you will probably want to go with a wet system.
I am comfortable with a 50 shot as long as it isn't used daily. I don't want to damage the engine anymore than necessary. This will be for sparse track use and the extremely rare personal joyride.

As far as wet vs. dry, I agree that a wet system would be ideal. The problem is that the location of the hardware is so touchy. You're talking about tapping the manifold... but if you don't tap it just right, you're screwed. Fuel puddling in the cylinder... bad. The dry system is more straightforward, cheaper, and comes with enough safety features to allow me to sleep at night. On a side note, the descriptions for Holley kits often say dry systems are better for N/A cars and wet systems are better for FI applications. Just a thought.

Quote:
50 might even be too much. NOS rule of thumb is get a shot that is 1/2 of your cars horsepower.
I would bet a mint I am hovering right around 100 WHP right now, without any exhaust mods past the header. With an exhaust and the finished intake, I'm hoping for 105 to the wheels as a daily driver and 150 or so w/ spray.

If you guys see a major flaw in this formula, help me out and speak up. I'll be referring this thread to the parties involved, and I've got a few days to change the plan if I want.

Last edited by ChinoCharles; 03-05-2007 at 03:35 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #8
ChinoCharles
Banned

Here are some nifty pictures of my trek yesterday.

First, Summit Racing had two cars on the rollers in the front of the store as they usually do on the weekends. The first is a stock car... must be raced around here because it is sponsored by Tallmadge Asphalt.

Picture 002.jpg

The second car, a Jerry Bickel drag Camaro.

Picture 003.jpg

If you guys want to know why Summit is so great, just look at their gauge aisle. This is only a small fraction of what they offer through their catalogs.

Picture 004.jpg

This is an example of the gauges I would like to purchase for voltage, water temp, fuel pressure and AFR. Hopefully I can find these in blue.

Picture 005.jpg

Now my installs. First, the tach. Looks great... matches the interior perfect and really looks like the car could have come with it. We didn't pussyfoot around with the install either. Rubber gromit, heatshrink, the works... none of that exposed wire you saw on the DIY. I was a little disappointed to turn it on and find that the lighting didn't match the lighting on the speedo... it isn't LED. Its OK, eventually I am going to look at changing that. Oh, and the blue condom to fit over the light combined with the yellowish light it came with make a blue-green identical to the tick marks on the stock speedo, so in that way it can REALLY look OEM for those of you interested. Ideally I want to change that light to an LED and go with blue, but for now it works for me.

Picture 006.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

Second, the shark fin... makes the car look a lot cleaner. I didn't realize how big of an aesthetic difference it would make until I saw it on the car. Couldn't be happier with this.

Picture 008.jpg

Third was the header... you guys have seen it, not much to say there. The fourth, however, is hilarious. Hey guys, want 5-10 HP for free? Remove the stock air box and take it apart. The first thing you'll see is a filter with what looks like black rice in it. It is something carbon based and is for emissions. CUT IT OUT! Second, cut a hole in the airbox before the filter and cover it with some kind of screen to keep something huge from kicking up in there. I didn't bother with this because my intake parts come tomorrow, but seriously... with that filter removed and the air box flowing the car sounds like a beast! Its hilarious! Of course, visits to the dealer will never be the same. You'll have to do some risk assesment on your own. 50 miles on the car with this mod and no CEL's.

Picture 009.jpg
Old 03-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
You're getting crazy dude!
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:51 PM   #10
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
how much would a wet system cost? has anyone seen those cheap like 25 dollar systems for regulating the NOS?
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)

Last edited by KSIbucky; 03-05-2007 at 09:28 PM.
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:21 PM   #11
ChinoCharles
Banned

Wet and dry systems generally cost the same amount of money. If you buy one and decide you want the other, a kit to convert wet to dry or vice versa is usually no more than a couple hundred bucks.

Expect to pay 450-600 for a nitrous kit for this car. I actually found this ZEX kit on Ebay for $435 shipped! That is crazy cheap!

You don't need anything more than what comes with a kit, but unless you add some other goodies (fuel pressure regulator/nitrous controller/proper gauges/intake and exhaust) you have to be careful about how you use the system. For example, if you're flooring it with a TP-controlled nitrous system engaged and you hit the rev limit, guess what... your nitrous system is still spraying, and you probably just blew your shit up.

This one isn't for the faint of heart.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:41 PM   #12
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Wet and dry systems generally cost the same amount of money. If you buy one and decide you want the other, a kit to convert wet to dry or vice versa is usually no more than a couple hundred bucks.

Expect to pay 450-600 for a nitrous kit for this car. I actually found this ZEX kit on Ebay for $435 shipped! That is crazy cheap!

You don't need anything more than what comes with a kit, but unless you add some other goodies (fuel pressure regulator/nitrous controller/proper gauges/intake and exhaust) you have to be careful about how you use the system. For example, if you're flooring it with a TP-controlled nitrous system engaged and you hit the rev limit, guess what... your nitrous system is still spraying, and you probably just blew your shit up.

This one isn't for the faint of heart.
You need a window switch to solve that issue.

It should be fun, just be careful you don't burn it up. I'd see if you can get a wideband to dial it in and at least check to make sure everything is ok once you start spraying.

Ashley
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:26 PM   #13
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Here are some nifty pictures of my trek yesterday.

First, Summit Racing had two cars on the rollers in the front of the store as they usually do on the weekends. The first is a stock car... must be raced around here because it is sponsored by Tallmadge Asphalt.

Attachment 3600

The second car, a Jerry Bickel drag Camaro.

Attachment 3601

If you guys want to know why Summit is so great, just look at their gauge aisle. This is only a small fraction of what they offer through their catalogs.

Attachment 3602

This is an example of the gauges I would like to purchase for voltage, water temp, fuel pressure and AFR. Hopefully I can find these in blue.

Attachment 3603

Now my installs. First, the tach. Looks great... matches the interior perfect and really looks like the car could have come with it. We didn't pussyfoot around with the install either. Rubber gromit, heatshrink, the works... none of that exposed wire you saw on the DIY. I was a little disappointed to turn it on and find that the lighting didn't match the lighting on the speedo... it isn't LED. Its OK, eventually I am going to look at changing that. Oh, and the blue condom to fit over the light combined with the yellowish light it came with make a blue-green identical to the tick marks on the stock speedo, so in that way it can REALLY look OEM for those of you interested. Ideally I want to change that light to an LED and go with blue, but for now it works for me.

Attachment 3604

Attachment 3605

Second, the shark fin... makes the car look a lot cleaner. I didn't realize how big of an aesthetic difference it would make until I saw it on the car. Couldn't be happier with this.

Attachment 3606

Third was the header... you guys have seen it, not much to say there. The fourth, however, is hilarious. Hey guys, want 5-10 HP for free? Remove the stock air box and take it apart. The first thing you'll see is a filter with what looks like black rice in it. It is something carbon based and is for emissions. CUT IT OUT! Second, cut a hole in the airbox before the filter and cover it with some kind of screen to keep something huge from kicking up in there. I didn't bother with this because my intake parts come tomorrow, but seriously... with that filter removed and the air box flowing the car sounds like a beast! Its hilarious! Of course, visits to the dealer will never be the same. You'll have to do some risk assesment on your own. 50 miles on the car with this mod and no CEL's.

Attachment 3607
Good to know that i'am not the only one removing things of the car (ex. air filter). This cars are so limited that any stupid mod make a difference. It might sound weird but when I remove the air filter and the elbow that goes from the air filter box up (whatever this is call its just a piece o plastic that search for air) and ran my car without muffler besides all the noise the car made ( sounds great) it actually improved something and I actually felt it. Specially around 3,500 rpm. And mpg loss?? who cares it still gives more than 30mpg
Old 03-06-2007, 12:41 AM   #14
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisPR View Post
Good to know that i'am not the only one removing things of the car (ex. air filter). This cars are so limited that any stupid mod make a difference. It might sound weird but when I remove the air filter and the elbow that goes from the air filter box up (whatever this is call its just a piece o plastic that search for air) and ran my car without muffler besides all the noise the car made ( sounds great) it actually improved something and I actually felt it. Specially around 3,500 rpm. And mpg loss?? who cares it still gives more than 30mpg
It really can. I have around $200 in speed mods. That is it... everything else was either free or is adding weight! But I still clocked myself in the mid 9's tonight 0-60 on stock rubbers in the freezing cold. Its on video, but its terrible quality and has no sound. I'll have to work on that. I'll pull an 8 in the summer without the gofast juice. JUST WATCH! My hubcaps are coming... thats, like, 4 HP.

Ashley, I just found that ZEX makes a window switch today. I was confused when I found it because it is very simple and inexpensive, but it doesn't include the TPS or the active fuel control feature because its built into their kits! Every other company is charging 500 bucks for just the bottles, lines and jets... then charging 500 on top of it for these enormous control pads. With ZEX it will be about $250 cheaper to get the same features and there is less stuff exposed in the car that lets people know what I'm hiding.

They also sell a kit with a purge system, bottle blanket and remote valve opener. Purge kit... . Don't think for a second if I put nitrous in my car I'm going to go spraying all over town. And of course I will not run this system without getting it to a dyno. I've made up my mind on that one.

EDIT:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ZEX-N...spagenameZWDVW

$159 shipped with a t-shirt. Gangster.

Last edited by ChinoCharles; 03-06-2007 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:32 AM   #15
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
awesome!

its either this or DIY a turbo... and I'm leaning toward turbo :)
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:35 AM   #16
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrman View Post
awesome!

its either this or DIY a turbo... and I'm leaning toward turbo :)
How about.... BOTH???!?!?!?!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:09 AM   #17
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
How about.... BOTH???!?!?!?!
if a 5-6psi turbo came first... and the car ran well... n20 would be inevitable.

I'd really like to DIY a kit, I know it canbe done cheaply... just a matter of getting all the info required to make it happen, turbo headers would be nice too :)

I've been reading.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:50 AM   #18
ChinoCharles
Banned

If you're still leaning turbo, let me further sway you. It just so happens there is an Ebay power seller selling ZEX everything for dirt cheap. Watch this.

STEP ONE: ZEX #82011 "DRY" Nitrous System 55-75 Horsepower
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ZEX-8...spagenameZWDVW
$436.88 shipped
Includes bottle, lines, jets, TPS, active fuel control, and switch

STEP TWO: ZEX #82001 Nitrous Racer's Tuning Kit
$236.75 shipped
Includes blowdown tube, purge kit, bottle heater, and bottle pressure gauge

STEP THREE: ZEX #82085 Nitrous Traction Control Window Switch
$159.88 shipped

STEP FOUR: ZEX #82009 Remote Nitrous Bottle Opener
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ZEX-R...spagenameZWDVW
$188.88 shipped

Add it all up...
$1022.39... and it'll even come with 4 shirts!