Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-06-2007, 01:45 PM   #19
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Ah what the hell... here it is. I'm clocking a 9.25.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gPgAf-a8rGo

We'll see what she does again this summer. Gotta hand it to myself though... that was a pretty damn good launch in the cold.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #20
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
The tach looks great. I can't wait to see what happens with the NOS.
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:21 PM   #21
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galavoxx View Post
I can't wait to see what happens with the NOS.
yeah!!! make sure you tape it with full audio! Kaa booom!!!!

(just kidding )
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:17 PM   #22
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
yeah!!! make sure you tape it with full audio! Kaa booom!!!!

(just kidding )
Don't worry... if a piston land here o Puerto Rico i'll shiped it back too you and i'll include some nice latin girls numbers
Old 03-06-2007, 09:43 PM   #23
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisPR View Post
Don't worry... if a piston land here o Puerto Rico i'll shiped it back too you and i'll include some nice latin girls numbers
< throws piston as hard as he can in a southerly direction

so I'll hear from ya in a day or 2?
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:36 PM   #24
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
If you're still leaning turbo, let me further sway you. It just so happens there is an Ebay power seller selling ZEX everything for dirt cheap. Watch this.

STEP ONE: ZEX #82011 "DRY" Nitrous System 55-75 Horsepower
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ZEX-8...spagenameZWDVW
$436.88 shipped
Includes bottle, lines, jets, TPS, active fuel control, and switch

STEP TWO: ZEX #82001 Nitrous Racer's Tuning Kit
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ZEX-N...spagenameZWDVW
$236.75 shipped
Includes blowdown tube, purge kit, bottle heater, and bottle pressure gauge

STEP THREE: ZEX #82085 Nitrous Traction Control Window Switch
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ZEX-N...spagenameZWDVW
$159.88 shipped

STEP FOUR: ZEX #82009 Remote Nitrous Bottle Opener
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ZEX-R...spagenameZWDVW
$188.88 shipped

Add it all up...
$1022.39... and it'll even come with 4 shirts!
You could definitely source out a 5-6psi turbo for the same $ or even less without a doubt.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:50 AM   #25
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Now that I can live with!

Quote:
You could definitely source out a 5-6psi turbo for the same $ or even less without a doubt.
I don't doubt it a bit, but I promise you it'll be harder to install. It doesn't matter how you go fast in a Yaris, whether you're the type that pays 3500 for the reputable manufacturer turbo... or you're the type that spends 1000 and doctors up his own low-comp turbo... or if you spend 1000 on the "other" tank of gas. The point is we all want to go faster in our Yarrari. They are great cars, but off the lot this thing is short of exciting in the fast category. I want to get there as quickly and safely as possible without breaking the bank, and I feel somewhat betrayed by the aftermarket in that everything for such a little, simple car is so expensive. This car isn't a pandora's box of tomorrow's technology... it has some quirks, but you can work them out. If I can build an intake in 24 hours with 100 bucks, why the F*#& can't I buy one mass produced for less than 200% of that?!

Stock is no more folks.

Picture 006.jpg

I think I am just going to leave it like this. I mean, it really opens up my top end.

... just kidding. Here is the finished product.

Picture 016.jpg

Picture 019.jpg

50 miles, NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. I'll give it a few days before I say we've got the design down pat. I have big plans for little betty.

Oh, and little betty growls.

Fun shot, driver at night. The tach needs to be blue LED... maybe tomorrow?

Picture 021.jpg

Old 03-07-2007, 01:14 AM   #26
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
nice... that's about as short as you can get, good job.

now go back and dyno it!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:51 PM   #27
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
Chino,your doing great work man,keep the info coming,and I just might buy a betty from you.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:27 PM   #28
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
CC,

I've seen this a couple times..not on a Yaris...how's the throttle response?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:50 PM   #29
ChinoCharles
Banned

Haha, oh John... you and your intelligent questions.

Of course it isn't all good news here. As we all know by now, there is a give and take with all aspiration mods. Sure, pop a 3" intake on a car like this and throttle response will suffer a TAD. Is it noticable? Barely. Does the rest of the powerband make up for it and then some? I'd bet my testicles on it.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:44 PM   #30
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
How is the extra fuel added?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:55 PM   #31
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Here are some nifty pictures of my trek yesterday.

First, Summit Racing had two cars on the rollers in the front of the store as they usually do on the weekends. The first is a stock car... must be raced around here because it is sponsored by Tallmadge Asphalt.

Attachment 3600

The second car, a Jerry Bickel drag Camaro.

Attachment 3601

If you guys want to know why Summit is so great, just look at their gauge aisle. This is only a small fraction of what they offer through their catalogs.

Attachment 3602

This is an example of the gauges I would like to purchase for voltage, water temp, fuel pressure and AFR. Hopefully I can find these in blue.

Attachment 3603

Now my installs. First, the tach. Looks great... matches the interior perfect and really looks like the car could have come with it. We didn't pussyfoot around with the install either. Rubber gromit, heatshrink, the works... none of that exposed wire you saw on the DIY. I was a little disappointed to turn it on and find that the lighting didn't match the lighting on the speedo... it isn't LED. Its OK, eventually I am going to look at changing that. Oh, and the blue condom to fit over the light combined with the yellowish light it came with make a blue-green identical to the tick marks on the stock speedo, so in that way it can REALLY look OEM for those of you interested. Ideally I want to change that light to an LED and go with blue, but for now it works for me.

Attachment 3604

Attachment 3605

Second, the shark fin... makes the car look a lot cleaner. I didn't realize how big of an aesthetic difference it would make until I saw it on the car. Couldn't be happier with this.

Attachment 3606

Third was the header... you guys have seen it, not much to say there. The fourth, however, is hilarious. Hey guys, want 5-10 HP for free? Remove the stock air box and take it apart. The first thing you'll see is a filter with what looks like black rice in it. It is something carbon based and is for emissions. CUT IT OUT! Second, cut a hole in the airbox before the filter and cover it with some kind of screen to keep something huge from kicking up in there. I didn't bother with this because my intake parts come tomorrow, but seriously... with that filter removed and the air box flowing the car sounds like a beast! Its hilarious! Of course, visits to the dealer will never be the same. You'll have to do some risk assesment on your own. 50 miles on the car with this mod and no CEL's.

Attachment 3607
Hey I kept my OE air box after the dealer installed the TRD intake when she was a few weeks old if you end up running in to problems with the hacked one
Old 03-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #32
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

CC,

Honestly I thought your throttle respnse would be better! It was when I did the CAI on my SRT. This blows my mind. Are you thinking about boring out your T/B? Speaking of...what is the ID of our T/Bs? Anyone? Bueller?
Old 03-08-2007, 11:22 AM   #33
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
CC,

Honestly I thought your throttle respnse would be better! It was when I did the CAI on my SRT. This blows my mind. Are you thinking about boring out your T/B? Speaking of...what is the ID of our T/Bs? Anyone? Bueller?
Its exactly like what I was saying about the exhaust the other day. This engine doesn't make enough power YET to make use of an intake like this at low RPM's, but at high loads it should help out quite a bit. I've got my fingers crossed that the dyno shop actually e-mails me back today.

Boring out the throttle body, eh? Maybe... how about ITB's. A sprayed built N/A Yaris... MWAHAHA.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #34
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
seriously though... How is the extra fuel added? Any dry kit I have ever seen bumps the fuel pressure by squeezing off the return line. Since the Yaris has a returnless fuel system I was wondering how it works.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #35
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Oh $hit!? How does the fuel system work? No return line, eh? Neat. Can someone walk me through how this works?
Old 03-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #36
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
You can not use a dry kit with a car that uses a returnless fuel systems. Dry kits add additional fuel through the factory FPR. Our cars have the FPR in the tank. Wet is the only way to go.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote