Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-09-2007, 03:38 AM   #37
LVAquaman

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I think we need to organize an intervention on ol' Chino here.

Mr. Charles, please put down the wrench and step away from the Yaris before someone gets hurt.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:13 AM   #38
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Never!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:19 AM   #39
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
no pain, no gain, right?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:21 AM   #40
ChinoCharles
Banned

Someone has to be the fall boy.

You're a bunch of wussies. You guys do realize if I got in a bind I could have my car back to stock in a day, right?
Old 03-09-2007, 11:07 AM   #41
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
*stuffy socialite*

...Look at me, I'm Chino Charles. I've got 78 cars. let us retire to the garage and destroy one. Smashing party isn't it? Where's my brandy snifter?

J/K
Old 03-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #42
ChinoCharles
Banned

ROFL!

Its more like "I wanna go fast now, but I don't have $4000 to spend on a turbo."

Old 03-09-2007, 11:10 AM   #43
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
drive off a high cliff! 1G acceleration guaranteed!

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-09-2007, 12:39 PM   #44
ChinoCharles
Banned

What are you trying to say Thomas?!?! You want me dead?!
Old 03-09-2007, 01:28 PM   #45
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
No no no...aren't you the one that filled out the application for a DMV crash test dummy? First we'll make you wait and the slam you into a wall. The cliffs await! WOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo.......Boom!

Old 03-09-2007, 01:30 PM   #46
ChinoCharles
Banned

ROFL!

We're gonna have to look into this FPR issue. Thanks to everyone who brought it to my attention. I'm sure the dyno guys will have more to add this weekend.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #47
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
Your best bet will be to return the dry kit and get a wet kit. Either that or run some sort of piggy back fuel computer. Thats not really an economical choice though.

Whatever you do, do not install the kit because you won't be able to return it.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:05 PM   #48
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
ROFL!

We're gonna have to look into this FPR issue. Thanks to everyone who brought it to my attention. I'm sure the dyno guys will have more to add this weekend.

What was stated before was not entirely accurate. Just because it is returnless dosen't mean you can't run a dry system. You do need more fuel, but you just go about it a different way with a returnless system.

You might be able to run a boost a pump, and\or larger injectors. Possibly you will need a better fuel pump. One or all of those may give you the headroom in the fuel system you need.

The car will need to be tuned for the 50 shot or you will probably burn it up. If you aren't gonna tune it, you will need the wet kit, and use the fuel jets to tune the mixture. In that case you will need the fuel mods anyway.

There is a slim possibility that you have the headroom in the fuel system as it sits. Stranger things have happened, but cars are rarely equipped to handle 50% more HP.

Ashley
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:52 PM   #49
ChinoCharles
Banned

First of all, I cancelled the order on the kit. Don't get too excited... I'm focusing on that intake right now, and I plan on taking the profits and buying the full ZEX setup. If that kit was in their store on that day, I'd probably be knee-deep troubleshooting it right now, so I guess it was for the best.

In the meantime, keep this dialogue going. I want to have a damn good understanding of what I'm facing. That ZEX kit was cake to install in a CRX, but it ain't 1999 anymore.

Ashley, thank you for the clarification. I live in car part heaven so I'm sure we can look at swapping a honda/acura fuel pump into the Yar... if they don't make one for the 1NZ already, which I'm betting they do. Those Scion kids like their horsepower.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:25 PM   #50
acrbill

Glad to hear that you nixed the nitrous for now. Its really not a worthwhile mod.
Even with a 50 shot you will still have a 16 second car at best. Add to that, the $50 per refill and it just doesn't make sense.

If you want more power you should consider a complete supercharger kit. They seem like a lot of loot at first but since it is complete its worth it in the long run IMO. Nitrous kits add up fast. Besides the refills you will find yourself buying other bits like remote openers and purge kits. Yet another thing to think about is when you plan on using it. Say you plan on using it at the strip or you feel like making a few stoplight runs. You are going to plan for this and have the tank filled with premium. Running around town with premium in a car designed for regular will cost you MPG and HP.

I find the best way to buy big mods is to slap it on a credit card and then do a balance transfer to another car that offers 0% on transfers. That way you can enjoy the part as you are paying it off, plus you don't have to worry about getting nailed with interest. The worst case scenario is that the payments are too much after awhile and you have to take it off and sell it.

Just some food for thought.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:12 PM   #51
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
First of all, I cancelled the order on the kit. Don't get too excited... I'm focusing on that intake right now, and I plan on taking the profits and buying the full ZEX setup. If that kit was in their store on that day, I'd probably be knee-deep troubleshooting it right now, so I guess it was for the best.

In the meantime, keep this dialogue going. I want to have a damn good understanding of what I'm facing. That ZEX kit was cake to install in a CRX, but it ain't 1999 anymore.

Ashley, thank you for the clarification. I live in car part heaven so I'm sure we can look at swapping a honda/acura fuel pump into the Yar... if they don't make one for the 1NZ already, which I'm betting they do. Those Scion kids like their horsepower.
I'm sure some other fuel pump will drop in. It is just gonna take some research to see what the stock one flows and go from there.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:41 AM   #52
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrbill View Post
Glad to hear that you nixed the nitrous for now. Its really not a worthwhile mod.
Even with a 50 shot you will still have a 16 second car at best. Add to that, the $50 per refill and it just doesn't make sense.

If you want more power you should consider a complete supercharger kit. They seem like a lot of loot at first but since it is complete its worth it in the long run IMO. Nitrous kits add up fast. Besides the refills you will find yourself buying other bits like remote openers and purge kits. Yet another thing to think about is when you plan on using it. Say you plan on using it at the strip or you feel like making a few stoplight runs. You are going to plan for this and have the tank filled with premium. Running around town with premium in a car designed for regular will cost you MPG and HP.

I find the best way to buy big mods is to slap it on a credit card and then do a balance transfer to another car that offers 0% on transfers. That way you can enjoy the part as you are paying it off, plus you don't have to worry about getting nailed with interest. The worst case scenario is that the payments are too much after awhile and you have to take it off and sell it.

Just some food for thought.
Who said I nixed it? Its just on hold.

If you think my reasoning for doing this is really to go fast, you're in the dark. If I wanted to go fast, I'd buy a bike. This is about this car.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:44 AM   #53
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

That's right, another Yaris pimp here ladies and gentlemen

Yaris pride! Yaris pride!

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #54
acrbill

Quote:
Who said I nixed it? Its just on hold.

If you think my reasoning for doing this is really to go fast, you're in the dark. If I wanted to go fast, I'd buy a bike. This is about this car.
WTF? If your not using it to go faster then what are you using it for?

Good luck with whatever you do.