Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
Nicfin
Nic

Drives: 2008 3-Door Liftback Manual
No respect in a Yaris?

Hey all, I'm a relatively new member and I have had my Yaris for only about a month now. I like the car and the great gas mileage, but the interaction with other drivers is baffling to say the least. It seems I get zero respect on the road and it really goes beyond that. For example, I was leaving work the other day and before I pulled out onto the street, I noticed a full-size Dodge pickup truck heading the same direction I was going. I had plenty of time to pull out and get on down the road, but I guess the driver felt I should have waited for him to go by because he made a point to pass me (on a no passing road) and he then slammed on brakes in front of me. I was about 75 yards from him when I pulled out and it is a 30MPH zone. It took him about 150 yards just to catch me and get in front of me. It was hard for him to catch me and he had to really get on the gas to catch up. Plus, after pulling that little stunt, he almost missed his turn and came close to hitting the curb.

Today I was driving home and going through a 30mph zone notorious for being a speed trap. It is a winding road in a neighborhood with many curves and it is no passing road. A car with some teenagers was behind me and the driver was staying very close, so I sped up to about 37mph. Just before we got to a sharp curve, the idiot decides to pass me. I was not happy about that and I stuck my head out the window and said some things that weren't nice, while pointing down at the double lines. I could tell I scared the driver, because he immediately turned at the next available road.

There have been other little incidents, but those two have stuck in my mind the most.

OK, I know I don't drive any different than before. Actually, I have been having to watch my speed in this little car. My other vehicle is a black 97 Tacoma 4X4 and it is not as peppy as the Yaris. I tend to get a little carried away in the car as opposed to my truck. However, it is obvious I am treated differently in my truck, even though it is a small pickup. I guess it is human psychology at work. Of course I know I have to drive differently in the Yaris as opposed to my truck. I can tell it is harder for people to see me, and I am aware of that. However, it is almost like the Yaris is making people mad.

Can anyone relate?
Nicfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
SailDesign

Drives: .
I find no problems here in Rhode island, so maybe it's a locational thing. You ARE in redneck country down there, y'know. Shouldn't make a difference, but...
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
if you live in downtown area, there will be more respect from my observation but since you are living in alabama... there's much of people with no respect to others than other states so doesn't really matter which car you drive
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Nicfin
Nic

Drives: 2008 3-Door Liftback Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
You ARE in redneck country down there, y'know. Shouldn't make a difference, but...
No, I hate to admit it, but you are correct. Not that it should matter and I am stereotyping, but I believe other drivers think I am a small female or elderly person driving a car of that type. Conversely, they think I am probably some mean guy while I am in my black truck. My side windows came with legal aftermarket tint. The back glass of my Yaris is tinted too (factory I think), so it is hard to see who is driving it. I'm 6'2" and about 215 lbs. I could tell it really shook up the driver today when I stuck my head out the window and yelled at him. I think he was expecting someone else.

I find it odd that another driver would "bully" someone in a smaller car just because it is small.
Nicfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I'm sure there are loads of other sites with related info, this is just the first thing that I pulled up: Driving Psychology
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
weedtank
I need more stars

Drives: Liftback
nice link crankyoldman
Old 03-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
This is why we all meet up here!
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:12 AM   #9
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Don't let the idiots bother you. Just drive defensively.

They will crash soon enough, then you can...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FUyu3csPq0

Oh, and a quick story related to getting no respect in a car.

Three or so months ago, I was driving my former car, a '94 Geo Metro 3-door hatchback through my town that I live in, going to work. I was in the left lane, doing the posted limit of 50mph. I was 50 yards from an intersection, and some jagoff in a Nissan Frontier with his windows down cuts me off, and I had to jam on my brakes. The light was just turning red, and he took the left anyway...running the light.

He ran into the side of an Escalade, and I just waited for the green, and I drove right past him, within feet, and laughed a very loud, exaggerated laugh (he was clearly at fault).

If you drive responsibly, you, like Nelson, will get the last laugh! lol

Last edited by CanIHazYarisHatch?; 03-16-2012 at 02:35 AM.
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
07stlYaris
If Its Not Blown It Sucks

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Meteorite
And I thought it was just me.

Just recently I subscribed to Biker logic and put a loud exhaust on my 07 LB. I think it has worked somewhat. I haven't been passed or cut off for a week now and I credit it to them hearing me. I'm not shilling for the exhaust company I bought from but getting louder might help. Whoda thunk that an exhaust could be a safety device?!?

Bikers generally don't go any faster than the flow of traffic but they also don't get cut off due to the loud factor (Just my humble opinion).

On a side note. I'm a gun toting former Marine and a proud redneck and I drive nice. Rash generalizations are made by people with rashes.
07stlYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
It's the same here . A neighbor and his buddy were sitting in a SILVERADO and pointed at the '08 3 door then started laughing . Probably making fun of how it looks like a clown car . I guess that makes us Bozo the clown .

Last edited by Hershey; 03-16-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
07stlYaris
If Its Not Blown It Sucks

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Meteorite
Another side effect of aftermarket exhaust.

No more A-holes asking "Is that one of them there electric cars?". Fricken Douchebags. I hate that. I wouldn't drive a battery powered car if they were giving them away.
07stlYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
maybe hang one of those ballsack trailer hitches thingies?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #14
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07stlYaris View Post
Just recently I subscribed to Biker logic and put a loud exhaust on my 07 LB. I think it has worked somewhat. I haven't been passed or cut off for a week now and I credit it to them hearing me. I'm not shilling for the exhaust company I bought from but getting louder might help. Whoda thunk that an exhaust could be a safety device?!?

Bikers generally don't go any faster than the flow of traffic but they also don't get cut off due to the loud factor (Just my humble opinion).

On a side note. I'm a gun toting former Marine and a proud redneck and I drive nice. Rash generalizations are made by people with rashes.
Thank you for your service. USAF vet here, "ash and trash", yada-yada-yada. lol

I actually like the near silence of the Yaris at idle. It shows refinement, but I can easily understand wanting a louder exhaust for a sportier sound, and being more safe through application of the Doppler Effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
It's the same here . A neighbor and his buddy were sitting in a SILVERADO and pointed at the '08 3 door then started laughing . Probably making fun of how it looks like a clown car . I guess that makes us Bozo the clown .
They won't be so smug when gas hits a national average of $5/gallon this Summer. Just brush them off for the idiots they are. You will get the last laugh.
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
P Davis

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris S
I feel your pain its the same way here in North Carolina. People in suvs and trucks treat you like crap they cut you off try to run over you...I got rear ended by a full size f150 king cab ford pulling a trailer i was sitting still at a red light!!! The said they didnt see me...What the hell!!!!! My car is red blind or stupid was my question to the cop as they carried me away in ambulance..I have gotten in trouble alot giving people the finger and using choice words when the try to run over me..But wouldnt trade my Yaris for nothing!! Yari people take a stand aginst haters!
P Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #16
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I'm happy to say that despite the number of Big-Ass Trucks(tm) here in Colorado, that I haven't seen any such disrespect for the Yaris. I own a Jeep too and I really don't get treated differently when driving it.

That's not to say there aren't issues, but people here tend to disrespect other drivers no matter what vehicle they drive.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #17
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I lived in Prattville, AL from Nov 10 to July 11. I am sure if Jinni and Jason see this they will slap me, but AL is full of rednecks and incompetent drivers. I had folks all over the state no matter where I drove try to give me shit for my Yaris. Lemme tell you that I can drive circles around the bulk of them and once I became boosted the end of May mostI came across changed their tune. I have driven all over the country with exception to Cali and Wyoming...even driven in Alaska...not HI tho. Alabama rules terrible and ignorant driving with an iron fist even over Mass, Jersey, and NY. Just let it roll of you and try your best to ignore it. Almost every person that approached me to talk about my car there asked how I liked my Hybrid...even calling it a Prius. Take pity on those poor unenlightened ones.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #18
P Davis

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris S
I get asked quite often how I like my hybrid..When I tell them its not a hybrid they look at me like im crazy..
P Davis is offline   Reply With Quote