Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #19
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
i don't get how this matters. Just keep the doors locked at all times. I open the door, get in, lock the door. Not hard.

I'd prefer to have a fully automatic shotgun to ward off criminals. That would make a bit of a mess of my car though.
For those of us who don't have a family, I see your point....but I think if (for example) a parent is doing errands with 2 kids in a Yaris Sedan or 5-door liftback I can see the advantage.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #20
Anakha56

Drives: Yaris 2012 XS
Hi There,

So I am new to this site and found my via Google while hunting to see if Toyota has an official bolt-on turbo for the 2012 Yaris. Anywho onto the question in this thread...

I was told by the Sales Rep as were other Toyota buyers that Toyota had a lawsuit in Europe over the auto lock feature (details are fuzzy even Google seems not to know) that they lost and made the decision from a safety aspect to remove the feature. The Toyota Hilux double cab being made this year even has this feature missing.

/Will be making a thread about my Yaris 2012/13 issue shortly which I am hoping someone will be able to help... :)
Anakha56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:40 AM   #21
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by imike929 View Post
Hey guys, I just realized after having my '13 SE for a couple months now that the doors do not lock after you start the car and drive off. I know in almost all new models, including my gf's 2011 corolla, the doors lock after a few seconds of driving. So basically you;re driving around all day with unlocked doors unless you consciously press the button to lock before driving off. Anyone else see a problem here?
I just bought a new 2014 SE and this was one of the first things that I noticed after driving off. It seems that almost all newer cars have this feature and I find it surprising that the Yaris doesn't. I'm with you imike929, I'm used to self-locking doors from my previous cars and now I have to make a conscious effort to remember to lock the doors manually. Wish there was a way to implement this feature on our Yaris but if CTScott says it can't be done then I'm sure it can't be done.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:42 AM   #22
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
if CTScott says it can't be done then I'm sure it can't be done.
I disagree with you re finding this a desirable feature, but I agree with the statement above.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:20 AM   #23
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I'm guessing you've never lived in California. Pedestrians have more rights there than in many other states, and (I feel) it is a sue happy culture. Having lived most of my life in California (and assuming your comment is serious, rather than just hyperbole), the fact that someone would sue me to try to get my money would always be paramount in my mind, so I would never utilize your solution. The most dangerous people in the world CAN BE (not necessarily are, but can be) the people who have absolutely nothing and the people who have everything, because the former have nothing to lose and the latter can afford to lose almost anything. IIRC, California has a Castle Doctrine, but it is limited because you have to prove that the force you used on your own property was reasonable or necessary. I've heard people in Texas refer to this as 'The California Apology'.

I've driven in quite bad parts of Oakland, CA - Memphis, TN - Detroit, MI - Los Angeles, CA - San Francisco, CA - Camden, NJ - Las Vegas, NV - Mobile, AL - New Orleans, LA - San Diego, CA - NYC - and Albuquerque, NM...and I can't imagine doing so without having my doors locked. I consider the national average of 100 for total crime (see the stats from Onboard Informatics in the city (zip code) profiles on move.com) to be pretty safe. Where my cousin and his wife and kids live in the SF Bay Area fluctuates between 100 and 105 and I would feel safe walking their dog in their neighborhood at any time of the day or night. Where I grew up, the total crime index is now in the low 20s. Where my Aunt and Uncle live it is in the teens. Where my cousin and little cousin who inspired my Yarisworld name live, the total crime index is in the high 30s. Where I live, it fluctuates from the 40s to low 50s...YET there was a carjacking recently at a school that is fairly close by (which freaks me out). I wouldn't want auto locking car doors (too Orwellian to suit me), BUT I should probably lock my car doors MORE often while I'm driving.

year later response~ I'm from SoCal. the way I've always seen it, if you're willing to try and steal a moving car, or a stopped one that's running (such as mine while I am in it), you are taking the risk of getting your ass ran over. Regardless of me possibly getting arrested ;p this also applies to people attempting to take my said belongings if I am in said car. Cars are dangerous, and should be seen as such. Pedestrians should take more care in my opinion. This includes me when I am one also :)

I do understand the idea of auto locks....but at the same time....the real purpose eludes me. I do however,quite like how my 2013 will not let me lock the doors if the car is off and the key is in the ignition. Now that's a smart feature. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #24
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
If you are really, really want that feature (and did i say really?), any aftermarket alarm has that feature (of course, if you have central locks on all four doors). Yes, this voids the electrical warranty in some countries like ours, but at least you scratched that itch.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #25
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_miles View Post
year later response~ I'm from SoCal. the way I've always seen it, if you're willing to try and steal a moving car, or a stopped one that's running (such as mine while I am in it), you are taking the risk of getting your ass ran over. Regardless of me possibly getting arrested ;p this also applies to people attempting to take my said belongings if I am in said car. Cars are dangerous, and should be seen as such. Pedestrians should take more care in my opinion. This includes me when I am one also :)

I do understand the idea of auto locks....but at the same time....the real purpose eludes me. I do however,quite like how my 2013 will not let me lock the doors if the car is off and the key is in the ignition. Now that's a smart feature. lol.
I agree with you wholeheartedly re pedestrians taking more care, and re the feature on your 2013 re can't lock the door with the key in the ignition. Given what I've read re your metro area (CC v no CC, OC vs no OC, OC allowed if firearm isn't loaded, different laws for different cities, getting (in practice) Portland Police to always align policy/action with what the law actually is, etc......all too cumbersome, IMO), I might have the same approach you do. Given that I don't live there, I'd either give up the car and belongings (easily replaced...my life isn't) or (if I knew in advance I could legally do so and legally implement) I'd carry and make the lightning fast decision to so implement or not.