Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Ugh.. Still problems with my belt!! Pulley Problem?

(I know its a lot of words, but please read, I'm at a loss here)

OK, so I've changed my belt. The old one was terribly cracked and felt like plastic rather than rubber so I was glad I did it. So, just like the DIY says, I marked on the alternator slide bracket where the bolt was and tightened it back to that point with the new belt on.

It squealed horrendously and without ceasing when I started it. So I undid everything again and pried a little harder, and went a little past the mark. Tightened it all back up and started it. Sounded good so I left it.

The next morning it squealed when I started it up briefly but after a second of squealing it stopped. So I loosened it all back up and this time I tightened the crap out of that thing. I put my weight into it and tightened it even more. It only went just a hair past where it was, I could not tighten it any more unless I wanted to break something. Started the thing like 5 times and never once squealed.

This morning I get in my car after its been sitting over a day in the garage and right when I start it, its back to the noise I was having that started this whole dam thing. When the engine fires for the first time, you hear a slippage of the belt, but that's it. Then you are fine. But its that first kick over, its loud and just sounds like the belt is slipping just that instant.

Now, Do I some how try to pry on that thing even hard to make it even tighter some how, or is this an indication that something else might be wrong here?

I'm starting to wonder if one of those pulley's isn't messed up or something? If I were to take the belt all the way back off again, and spin each pulley, would they spin freely enough to just keep spinning if I spin them?

Also, should I be torquing the two alternator bolts (top bracket one and the one on the bottom of the alternator) to a specific torque? I'm just tightening them to where I can't turn them anymore, then putting on a small cheater bar and turning a little more.
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
A while back someone else experienced the same thing and it turned out to be starter related, as opposed to belt related. I don't remember the exact details, but I think it was a case where the starter solenoid was not releasing properly.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
A while back someone else experienced the same thing and it turned out to be starter related, as opposed to belt related. I don't remember the exact details, but I think it was a case where the starter solenoid was not releasing properly.
Well, if that's the case I'm running it by the Toyota dealership then while this puppy is under warranty.

Would that explain why it only happens every now and then?
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
belt

I wouldn't overtighten that belt too much it'll wind up damaging something else or the belt. If the belt is new and properly tightened it shouldn't squeal at all unless one of the pulleys has oil/grease or some kinda of residue. Try the old trick of removing the belt and hand spinning each pullley individually and see what you find. Another old trick is using a cardboard tube placed on your ear and move around each component untill you isolate the noise. Good luck to ya.
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Its definitely the belt. I just started up the car for lunch and back to squeally belt again! Sheesh.

Speaking of oil/grease, I sprayed some WD40 and then Liquid wrench on the bottom alternator bolt that was seized. I'm positive I DID get over spray on at least the AC compressor pulley and the OLD belt. Do you all think that may be why its squealing? Will that ever go away then? Should I buy some of that anti-belt squeal stuff at autozone? I really didn't want to buy that stuff before because I figured if your belt and engine were running normally, you shouldn't need it.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
Its definitely the belt. I just started up the car for lunch and back to squeally belt again! Sheesh.

Speaking of oil/grease, I sprayed some WD40 and then Liquid wrench on the bottom alternator bolt that was seized. I'm positive I DID get over spray on at least the AC compressor pulley and the OLD belt. Do you all think that may be why its squealing? Will that ever go away then? Should I buy some of that anti-belt squeal stuff at autozone? I really didn't want to buy that stuff before because I figured if your belt and engine were running normally, you shouldn't need it.
The WD40 is almost definitely your problem. You need to clean the lubricant off of all of the pulleys (the belt will have spread it to all of them) using denatured alcohol, etc. Do not use the anti squeal stuff. Also, get a new belt, as the current one is contaminated.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
What belt are you using? Dayco ummm it's lose bro. You have to pry bar it tight. Using your arms isn't going to tighten it up. unless you're the HULK.

junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
junorico24

If you're using the stock Toyota belt the mark you made might be right.But if you use an after market belt. It's not the same size as the Factory spec belt and it might be one of those elastic type like DAYCO which stretches and have to be PRIED BAR to tighten.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Mine still squeals to this very day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
... one of those elastic type like DAYCO which stretches and have to be PRIED BAR to tighten.
Probably my problem... anyone have a suggestion for a good belt brand for a replacement?

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmck03 View Post

Probably my problem... anyone have a suggestion for a good belt brand for a replacement?
The Goodyear Gatorbacks aren't bad, but I prefer Gates.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Bando is the best (oem)
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmck03 View Post

Went to the dealer an ordered the stocky Yari belt. No squeal Took the Dayco belt to the trash
Old 06-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #13
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
belt

Glad i saw this because I was thinking of buying a DAYCO brand . Guess Ill buy the GATES now............." IF it's good enough for CTSCOTT it's good enough for me" . I think the dayco belt would work ok in those cars with automatic spring loaded belt pulley tensioner.
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #14
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Bought a new belt today, and a metal can of denatured alcohol as prescribed. Used a wad of "blue" shop paper towels and dumped the stuff on it and wiped each one of the pulleys. I turned each one and they all turned freely except of course the crank pulley. The crank pully was impossible to get the papertowel all the way around so I took off the front wheel and go to it as best I could. There was about 1/4 -1/3 of it I just couldnt get with the paper towel. I then put on the new belt and pried as hard as I could with a pry bar on the alternator as my son tightened the bolt. The I tightened both bolts. Started right up no squeal.

Drove to walmart. When I started my car up at walmart to come home, squealed a little. Let it sit in my driveway a while and started it up again, and it squeals for the first second of starting again.

WTF??!? I'm about to go mad with this squealing belt and squeaky rear drum brake!!! LOL.

Do I just need to take that belt of and somehow just dump that denatured alcohol all over the inside of that dang thing?!? (or at least best I can get all over the pulleys?) Do I need to buy another stinking belt?

If I pry any harder on that alternator I'm afraid I'm going to break something.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #15
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
Don't give up !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
Bought a new belt today, and a metal can of denatured alcohol as prescribed. Used a wad of "blue" shop paper towels and dumped the stuff on it and wiped each one of the pulleys. I turned each one and they all turned freely except of course the crank pulley. The crank pully was impossible to get the papertowel all the way around so I took off the front wheel and go to it as best I could. There was about 1/4 -1/3 of it I just couldnt get with the paper towel. I then put on the new belt and pried as hard as I could with a pry bar on the alternator as my son tightened the bolt. The I tightened both bolts. Started right up no squeal.

Drove to walmart. When I started my car up at walmart to come home, squealed a little. Let it sit in my driveway a while and started it up again, and it squeals for the first second of starting again.

WTF??!? I'm about to go mad with this squealing belt and squeaky rear drum brake!!! LOL.

Do I just need to take that belt of and somehow just dump that denatured alcohol all over the inside of that dang thing?!? (or at least best I can get all over the pulleys?) Do I need to buy another stinking belt?

If I pry any harder on that alternator I'm afraid I'm going to break something.
A lot of times you have to go back and re-tension the belt as it will stretch after the initial install. Also check your alignment. Also enlist some help, someone to tighten the bolts while you are holding the tension, it makes a big difference. Good Luck !!
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:26 AM   #16
junorico24

Don't give up.

But take it to a mechanic just in case.

I think it takes experience and plenty of practice to get it just right. What belt

did you get? the Toyota belt I got doesn't squeal. A mechanic can do your belt

up for 30 to 50 bucks.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #17
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

I've tightened that thing up now several times and it still "squeaks" when starting the car, just for a split second when the engine kicks over. I've gotten two different kinds of belts, but I notice CTScott recommends goodyear, so I may just go buy a third belt and make sure it is a recommended kind. The two I got were from Autozone, the first one was some brand name I cant remember (it might have been the "Dayco" brand mentioned above), and the second one (thats on there now) is a "Duralast". They only had the two options. I may go to goodyear and ask for a belt then. I've undone and done up those two alternator bolts so many times now I'm starting to think they are going to wear out, heh.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #18
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Then again I just might go to the toyota place and get a belt, heh. Hopefully it will still be around the $10 mark...