Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #1
ITA

Drives: 2001 Echo Sedan
ECU Extension Harness (1st Gen Echo/Vitz)

Hello all. I recently posted in the Forced Induction section about a MAF extension harness. Part of turbo-ing my Echo, I intend to use an AEM FIC. As stated in my MAF post, I would rather not splice into the stock harnesses/wiring. As such, I initially looked at plug and play done by third party. They were too expensive for my project, so I looked into getting a straight patch harness.

After some research, I discovered that the ECU from the SW20 MR2 had similar ports as the Echo. See here for the SW20 MR2 ECU pinout. See here for Echo ECU pinout. As you can see the SW20 MR2 ECU and Echo ECU share ports E7, E6, and E4, as identified on the Echo pinout.

I was able to find an untapped BERK straight patch harness for the SW20 MR2 from a forum member on mr2.com. I installed the patch harness yesterday to test before I start splicing the FIC harness in. The ports plugged in and the car started right up. It works! I will drive around with both the MAF extension and BERK patch harnesses installed to insure everything is operating OK.

Aside from Berk, I found another option. Field One Touch Harness CN-3 should work as well. From the RHDJapan website, this harness works for SW20 MR2's and NCP13 Vitz (pre-02) (this prompted my investigation into the matter). Good exchange rates right now make it a viable option, plus you get points for JDM-ness...

Please note that although the MR2 does not have a fourth port for E5, my Echo did not have a plug for E5 anyway. Maybe its for automatic transmission control? I am not sure what would go there, but my Echo is bare bones manual, aside from having AC and power steering.

Anyway, hope this information is helpful for anyone looking to wire-in a piggyback on their 1st Echo/Vitz.
ITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:18 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Another awesome find! I actually have some hairbrained plans to use a 1NZ in my AW11 with a MegaSquirt, which uses the same connectors. This would be a great starting point for a harness that doesn't require destroying the OEM engine wire harness.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:03 PM   #3
Jeff Lange

Drives: 11 GSE21, 86 AE86
Older thread, but for what it's worth, the NCP13 harness for 2003-2005 is CN-17, in case anyone is looking.

Jeff

2011 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S Supercharged with TRD Stuff
2005 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Short Track Car
Jeff Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:38 AM   #4
Fluxtasy
feed my pet

Drives: Yaris Sedan '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITA View Post
Aside from Berk, I found another option. Field One Touch Harness CN-3 should work as well. From the RHDJapan website, this harness works for SW20 MR2's and NCP13 Vitz (pre-02) (this prompted my investigation into the matter). Good exchange rates right now make it a viable option, plus you get points for JDM-ness...
Is this Field One Touch Harness CN-3 compatible with NCP91/93 ECU? or is there another harness?
Fluxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:09 PM   #5
ITA

Drives: 2001 Echo Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxtasy View Post
Is this Field One Touch Harness CN-3 compatible with NCP91/93 ECU? or is there another harness?
Sorry, haven't been on the forums for a while. I just picked up a 2007 Yaris and was just looking into this again. It does not work. Additionally, I have found that it is difficult to find an extension harness, from any brand, that works with the NCP91's.
ITA is offline   Reply With Quote