Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #1
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
BMW 1 series.

Second hand of course.

It ticks the right boxes for me rear wheel drive 4 door hatch. But i'm kinda scared of it at the same time. Because of the horror unreliability stories and heard it's a money pit. I have never owned a premium European brand.Any feed back is appreciated. I want a rear wheel drive car but the best offing is the Toyota 86.

Toyota 86 vs BMW 1 series.

Who wins and why?
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Unless you've a wad burning a hole in your pocket, nobody wants a money pit.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2018, 04:04 PM   #3
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
https://www.amazon.com/BAZIC-Sale-Si.../dp/B00CGSF4F0

Now you have a down payment on the 86 you thought of getting in the first place.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:25 PM   #4
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
The BMWs are hit and miss for each model - e.g. the N54 in in the 135i has a number of expensive issues; depending where you are and what TSBs are in play some are warranty items, some are not. The 125i/128i/130i running the N52 (non-turbo) has less problems from what I've read, but then doesn't go like stink like the twin-turbo 135i does either..

My brother had a Scion FRS (the Toyota 86 over here in N. America before Toyota closed up the Scion brand) and it was a good time to drive. Not super powerful, but quick enough to be fun - what I imagine a Miata is like; not a ton of power, but enough in a little car to be fun. Never driven a Miata myself though. Reliability wise I don't recall him mentioning ever having trouble with it.

Been considering RWD cars myself once I clear out my truck collection and the BMWs are on the list just due to volume and low price vs. some other options, but have the same concern about reliability - really read up on the specific model and common problems before you go shopping.

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:41 PM   #5
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
The BMWs are hit and miss for each model - e.g. the N54 in in the 135i has a number of expensive issues; depending where you are and what TSBs are in play some are warranty items, some are not. The 125i/128i/130i running the N52 (non-turbo) has less problems from what I've read, but then doesn't go like stink like the twin-turbo 135i does either..

My brother had a Scion FRS (the Toyota 86 over here in N. America before Toyota closed up the Scion brand) and it was a good time to drive. Not super powerful, but quick enough to be fun - what I imagine a Miata is like; not a ton of power, but enough in a little car to be fun. Never driven a Miata myself though. Reliability wise I don't recall him mentioning ever having trouble with it.

Been considering RWD cars myself once I clear out my truck collection and the BMWs are on the list just due to volume and low price vs. some other options, but have the same concern about reliability - really read up on the specific model and common problems before you go shopping.

-- Adam
That's what i figured that the NA (naturally aspirated) would have less problems. But won't go like the clappers as turbos. So you will get a trade off for turbos and non turbos. One PRO is that NA will generally be more reliable than a turbo and the CON is it wont have the oomph as a turbo.I choose reliability, ALWAYS!!

Yeah..BMW can he had for a good enough price. I agree with you, check each model. I miss driving manuals and i would go for a RWD manual non turbo. Like you said, read about it get the info and knowledge and shop with confidence

Thanks..
Old 08-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #6
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
remember the 86 is not a toyota, it's a subaru. so the reliability is not as good as if you bought a toyota. you should look for a lexus if you want a toyota RWD...
i would not be interested in most bm's. i think most are pretty terrible imo...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:50 PM   #7
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
remember the 86 is not a toyota, it's a subaru. so the reliability is not as good as if you bought a toyota. imo...
It's better

Toyota has its stigma from the early 90s when there cars just ran and ran and ran and ran

head over to the dirty impreza forums or nasioc and browse their 250k mile threads.

The engine subaru made is good. itll put well over 3000 hours of runtime at the Dirtfish school before it shows sign of aging, which is a far cry more than I've seen other cars do.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:18 AM   #8
Whiplash

Drives: 2009 Yaris 4DR
^Subaru engines are not reliable...even if there are some examples running 250k, there is no way I could say they are reliable.
My other car is a E65 7 series, and it has been really reliable so far. Literally zero issues for the year I have owned it. However, I'm on BMW forums as well, and they are absolutely very unreliable in general, engine, electronics, etc. You have to find a good example, one that's well taken care of, but even then it could randomly decide to kill itself (the car).
Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:10 PM   #9
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
My other car is a E65 7 series, and it has been really reliable so far. Literally zero issues for the year I have owned it. However, I'm on BMW forums as well, and they are absolutely very unreliable in general, engine, electronics, etc. You have to find a good example, one that's well taken care of, but even then it could randomly decide to kill itself (the car).
Your argument is sporadic and circumstantial

Proven the modern FA20 motors will run literally 3000 hours before failure at driving schools near wot throttle,

Proven me buying and owning a 2002 Wrx with 170k miles and its compression testing is shown 190 across all numbers,
Driving it for 4 years at track events and auto-x crosses. that is proven

owning a bmw for a year and then admitting they are crap cars doesn't prove anything *against subaru's being bad*
Old 08-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #10
Whiplash

Drives: 2009 Yaris 4DR
Don't care about your experience...you're wrong. There are tons of subaru's with blown engine all over the place...Also I wasn't comparing BMW to Subaru, just stating neither of them is the a pinnacle of reliability.
Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:16 PM   #11
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Rune has proven he knows what he's talking about, both here and on Wheelwell, but I was taken back by Subaru reliability being better than Toyota. I completely agree that Toyota of today is not the Toyota of the 90's, but there are handfuls of posts on Wheelwell from Subaru owners who've blown engines multiple times in very short mileage periods.

As a master tech for Subaru, I'd be curious to hear Tom's thoughts on this (even if he is a little bias and angry with Toyota right now lol).

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #12
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
of all the cars ive had my 2012 128i was easily one of my favs and boat anchor reliable during the 3 year lease

justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:39 PM   #13
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Wow what a thread hack. Lol

Like Ernie stated I’m a Subaru Master tech, I’ve been with the company for 10 years and seen it all(I think). I’ve had 4 Subaru’s and 2 Toyota’s, none of them have given me a major problem either. With all of that said, I prefer the race car to be a Toyota. You’ve all see the abuse my Yaris goes through, and I’ve never had an engine issue.

Yet, the Subaru’s I race with go through many major failures in a season. Maybe it’s just the EJ engine can’t handle serious abuse, or maybe it’s all due to lack of proper maintenance. Whatever it is, no thanks. I love the Subaru as my daily though, you can’t get AWD and all these options cheaper anywhere else.

I love them both, but they have their place
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:49 PM   #14
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
of all the cars ive had my 2012 128i was easily one of my favs and boat anchor reliable during the 3 year lease

This is the smart way to enjoy driving a BMW. Lease one for a 2-3 year term.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:38 AM   #15
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post

RWD beauty. What gorgeous ride you had there. Merc, Audi and even Beamers are making FWD now days. It's a dying breed.

Last edited by junorico24; 08-14-2018 at 04:27 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:32 AM   #16
junorico24

I just looked at the service videos, how to service your Beamer, change your engine oil and filter. Damn! They have the oil filter buried behind next to the turbo heat shield. First it's hard to get at, next you will get burnt trying to get it. Also the bolts for the oil change both engine and manual box uses the hex key to open it up.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:27 PM   #17
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
I just looked at the service videos, how to service your Beamer, change your engine oil and filter. Damn! They have the oil filter buried behind next to the turbo heat shield. First it's hard to get at, next you will get burnt trying to get it. Also the bolts for the oil change both engine and manual box uses the hex key to open it up.
yeah because they want you to service it at the dealership. because the peopel who buy those cars usually have like 10 times the money to afford the car. or dont and work it into like a 10 year loan or something crazy with 3rd party insurance.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:30 PM   #18
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
^ +1 - I'm teaching a friend from work to do the basic maintenance on his 328xi because it blows my mind what he gets charged for a tire rotation...

Also, +1 nice 1-series justanotherdrunk.

I think you'll find every brand has it's ups and downs. As for the Subarus, while I have no data at all beyond trolling Kijiji and forum Googling, I think if you look at the blown-up engines you'll see it's the Imprezas, mostly WRX and STI - and who is buying those cars? And how are they driving them? When my brother came up with his new WRX (which is what he traded the FRS for) he doesn't drive it gently. When I jumped in and took it for a spin... I didn't drive it gently. Because a WRX is no fun driving gently.. It does, however, go like )*(#$ once you get boost

Never-the-less, let us know what you end-up picking up! It is a dying breed, but there are still options out there depending on budget.

Alternative idea: do a RWD conversion on a Yaris! Be sure to do a build thread for that bad boy.. lol

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote