Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-22-2007, 10:40 PM   #1
jmjonesey

Drives: Red 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to jmjonesey
Tranny Whine

I went on a trip this past weekend from Lexington, NC to Vine Grove, KY (North of Lexington, KY)

I drive a manual sedan, yhe total round trip including driving around in KY was just over 1100 miles.
It was nice, and going back and forth across I-40 in the mountains was just awesome! Lots of long turns going down the mountains at 80-90 mph!

I went with my girlfriends family and they drove a truck. We spend about 60 bucks total in gas, they spent almost 3 times that. Anyway...

After the second fill up (and shaking off my autopilot syndrome) that when I am going up through the gears, the transmission whines. I thought it was the engine, but when I rev it up with the clutch disengaged it doesnt do it, but it does under load. I assume this is the transmission whining because of the extended running (keep in mind this is after about 6 hours of going 75-90 mph)

...since i have come back, it does not whine anymore. I checked the oil in the enging every time we stopped, looked for loose or damaged parts, etc (as I am still under 5000 miles which in my book is still breaking it in), and it reads completely full.

The worst part though, is all the bugs that are sealed into my front bumper and windshield

I was just wondering if anyone has an opinion about what is going on. Is it whining because it is thoroughly hot (but not getting torn up I hope), or could it be something else (that makes sense plz)

The performance and shifting does not seem to be affected at all, no grinding or anything.

Am I worried about nothing, or is a consistent (although short-lived) whine a problem?
Old 05-22-2007, 10:42 PM   #2
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Miles on car? Have you checked lube level? Have you changed lube yet?
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:43 PM   #3
jmjonesey

right now its at about 4400 and no havent changed it yet, im gonna have the dealer do it (free i might add so dont snake oil me) at the manual specified 5000 mark
Old 05-22-2007, 10:47 PM   #4
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjonesey View Post
right now its at about 4400 and no havent changed it yet, im gonna have the dealer do it (free i might add so dont snake oil me) at the manual specified 5000 mark
No snake oil Bra! If the dealer will do it for free cool, but I run the best synthetic I can get (Amsoil) and it makes shifting smooth as hell! Do you have mechanical skills? If so I will tell you how and provide pics of fill & drain plug.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:55 PM   #5
kaboom

Drives: 2007 silver yaris sedan
hey, blacksan, i believe the guy was talking about engine , not tranny oil change-----some dealers give you one year ( or 3x) free oil/filter w/purchase , and the book says : change oil and filter every 5000 miles.......
kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:13 AM   #6
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan View Post
No snake oil Bra! If the dealer will do it for free cool, but I run the best synthetic I can get (Amsoil) and it makes shifting smooth as hell! Do you have mechanical skills? If so I will tell you how and provide pics of fill & drain plug.
I 2nd that, I would swap out your trans fluid for synthetic
Old 05-23-2007, 10:56 AM   #7
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
In all the manual trannies I've had, the first thing I would do was change the oil to synthetic. My Del Sol shifted like a dream after the switch.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:01 PM   #8
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
In all the manual trannies I've had, the first thing I would do was change the oil to synthetic. My Del Sol shifted like a dream after the switch.
+1 Zillion
Old 05-23-2007, 08:52 PM   #9
jmjonesey

ok cool, well i can do the change, i have a few wrench skillz
i just need to know if you have to take the pan off and replace the seal like on most transmissions ive ever seen, or is there just a plug and a fill hole?

if so, how much oil goes in the transmission? what particular weight of amsoil?

one other question...does the yaris have clutch master cylinder, or can someone explain to me how that part works
edit:
I guess i should read before I type
Old 05-23-2007, 10:06 PM   #10
blacksan

Quote:
ok cool, well i can do the change, i have a few wrench skillz
i just need to know if you have to take the pan off and replace the seal like on most transmissions ive ever seen, or is there just a plug and a fill hole?

if so, how much oil goes in the transmission? what particular weight of amsoil?

one other question...does the yaris have clutch master cylinder, or can someone explain to me how that part works
edit:
I guess i should read before I type
Do you have manual, or auto?
Old 05-23-2007, 10:28 PM   #11
fu_im_from_texas

Drives: Liftback
Send a message via AIM to fu_im_from_texas
no action required

Quote:
... it does not whine anymore...Am I worried about nothing...?
I'd do nothing. At most, when you take it in for your free oil change, have a tech check it out...

It ain't broke...dont fix it...
fu_im_from_texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:32 PM   #12
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fu_im_from_texas View Post
I'd do nothing. At most, when you take it in for your free oil change, have a tech check it out...

It ain't broke...dont fix it...
True dat, but what if for some freak reason it is low on lube. It should be checked ASAP. There should not be a whine at such low mileage, agree?