Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-15-2010, 02:42 AM   #235
Thai_Dang

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5-Door LB AT MM
My ABS lights just came on this morning! WTF its only 3 months old. I had to manually shift it out of park by popping off the tab and pushing the white thing. Toyota what a fail.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #236
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Bumping this thread because it's almost winter again, and people may want to check their sensors when they change over to winter tires.

I'm thinking of switching my tires in the next three weeks, and was planning on cleaning the speed sensors (thanks to fidgell for the picture in post 232!) while I've got things apart. My warranty is up and I'm not paying $800 for a garage to do this for me.

So, for those that have successfully done the fix, I clean the dirt out of the sensor connectors with WD40 and compressed air, then top it off with a little dielectric grease before snapping it back together?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #237
craigq

Drives: '07 Yaris, '12 GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Bumping this thread because it's almost winter again, and people may want to check their sensors when they change over to winter tires.
I wish I would've back in November... We had our first couple of days of snow and salt on the roads, and the brake and ABS warning lights showed up on the dash. I cleaned the connections and lubed them with some dielectric grease this afternoon. Hopefully it works
craigq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #238
Dave

I wish I would've taken my own advice too

I didn't do it when I changed my tires and now the lights are on. Do I actually have to take the tires off to get to the sensors, or can this be done with the tires still on? I'll have a chance to look at it this weekend, and I'll try to make due without the ABS in the meantime.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:07 AM   #239
craigq

I think it's easier to just remove the tires. From what I could see the orange rubber seal on the sensor wiring plug-end (the cheaper $50 part) displaces a bit too much when the sensor wiring plug is inserted into the sensor receptacle on the hub (the expensive part). This is probably allowing the salty water mixture in and the electrical connection goes wonky.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #240
mleon4740

Guys... here a new dissatisfied Toyota 2007 Yaris customer, had the ABS and Emergency Brake lights ON since yesterday, my warranty expired six months ago, has anyone heard of a change in Toyota's response to this type of problems? (Posted Dec 15th 2010)
mleon4740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #241
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
Add me to the list of defective rear ABS speed sensors...

So far, they claim just the right-rear is defective, and they ordred the harness and hub. and they are back order.

I am fighting for them to replace the left side also under warranty as I do not want to get bitten in the a** with a repair bill if the left side goes bad for a know design fault..
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:16 AM   #242
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
sorry but there are 14 pages so forgive me, but how can we "preserve" the life of our sensors?
Old 12-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #243
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
sorry but there are 14 pages so forgive me, but how can we "preserve" the life of our sensors?
Post#170

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiliat View Post
Yep, ABS works again for me too. I used WD40 and then dielectric grease to coat the plug to keep salt out going forward. When I switch between summers/winters, I'll probably wipe and re-coat as needed.

Yes, definitely need a screwdriver. Pry the tab gently open at the top, and then push it out and away from the drum brake itself (I used the same screwdriver - flat head to push it out). Make sure to use WD40 or the like and soak it for a couple of minutes before trying to remove, minimizing risk of breaking the clip. It should make a small "pop" sound when it comes off.

BTW, I joined the forum JUST thank you for reporting this fix. :D
Toyota has 'recognized', and 'fixed' the issue with 2009+ model years. You should not be a victim of this premature failure.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #244
R35c470r
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris
hi
i had the same problem, abs signal was turned on - abs didn't work. Mechanic said the right back sensor is not ok but abs signal disappear and again turned on after two day.
tell me something. if abs signal turn on than abs doesn't work, what about VSC.
R35c470r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #245
Dave

Does anyone have any specific pointers on how to get the sensor apart from the hub for cleaning?

I got the outer housing off, like asiliat said in post 170, but is that all there is to it? I just saw the two wires going into another plastic plug which goes into the hub. Nothing there looked particularly dirty. Should've taken some pictures when I had it apart.

I'm assuming that the actual plug has to disconnect from the hub and be protected with grease (but maybe I'm wrong).

The picture in post 225 looks like the whole plug comes off.

I could use some guidance from someone who's done the fix, please.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #246
craigq

Dave, it sounds like you only removed the connector cover. You have to pry carefully from the bottom to get the connector itself off, that's the piece with the two wires. Pry from the bottom portion of the connector with a really thin slot screwdriver as shown in the picture in post 225. This is also covered in the "axle.pdf" file of the FSM found on this site. The connector holes are very small, it doesn't take much to clean the area and lubricate with the dielectric grease...

Quote:
4. DISCONNECT SKID CONTROL SENSOR WIRE (w/
ABS)
(a) Using a screwdriver, remove the claw of the
connector lock portion and disconnect the skid
control sensor wire connector.
NOTICE:
Do not remove the connector cover from the
connector because the skid control sensor wire
may be damaged.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #247
dycktim

Drives: 07 Yaris,99 Solara,91 4Runner
I am beginning my battle with Toyota to resolve this issue. In my opinion it should be recalled as a safety issue since ABS is a safety feature. I am in the beginning stages of building a case but will need help from many people who have the same issue. This is my first stab at it but i figure for the $1600 worth of repairs - I can devote some time to it, and maybe help out everyone else who is or will be in the same boat. My warranty expired less than a year ago and I'm at 75K on the car. Was told I'm s.o.l. by both dealership and Toyota Canada.

As such, I believe this issue meets the requirements for the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Process if there are enough people experiencing the exact same problem. See Link.
http://www.camvap.ca/index.htm

If anyone has tried this already or is knowledgeable in these matters please let the rest of us know. It is my opinion that if we can prove a large number of people having this problem and prove it is a safety concern we may have a good case.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks,
dycktim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #248
DJCrazyChris

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Another winter another trip to the dealership....less than a month on our extended care warranty. Replaced the one last year free of charge (took 5 weeks to wait for the part). Hopefully not as long this year.
DJCrazyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #249
da1nonly

Drives: yaris hatchback le
argghh.. they replaced the right rear speed sensor last feb2010 and now the abs and Brake light goes off again jan2011.
Now the left rear sensor needs replacing.

add me to the list of affected users...

will update what happens at dealership...

ah nice first post ...

Last edited by da1nonly; 01-05-2011 at 08:49 PM.
da1nonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #250
da1nonly

Drives: yaris hatchback le
FOLLOWUP (sorry for the length of this post):

Part replaced for $53.30

So thanks to this forum I had the part replaced by Toyota for $53.30...
out of warranty.

I had the issue back in feb 2010 with the right sensor. they replaced it under warranty but didnt say what caused the issue despite my complaints to know the cause... just said that they had to replace the entire sensor assembly. Back then I complained asking them to recheck and replace the other sensors but they wouldn't becuz they were fine... I didnt actually look this problem up until tonight jan 2011 when the sensor went on the leftside.

So the story goes:
Came in tonight.... told me it would cost $733 to fix the sensor issue. Add $200+ for labor and $100 for the initial diagnostic.

Googled and found this thread.... showed them the easy fix and the tsb issued in 2008 (US version). After talking with service manager, technician and service rep we finally found the TSB (CDN version). I told them to fix the problem according to the TSB which matched the error code found during diagnostic. The replaced just the wire sensor (list price $53.30), waved the diagnostic fee and took 10% off labor (after 1hr of complaining with everyone there). Total was about $230 ($180 2hr labor, $50 part)

I wouldve tried cleaning it but the tech had already pulled out the sensor and showed me the wire was damaged (really?). At least i have the latest sensor model (hopefully) which should protect against corrosion/damage to the sensor. So hopefully I wont have to worry about this or having to clean the original faulty sensor every year.

If it hasn't been posted... for those looking for the TSB (CDN version) the number is:
TSB3027 (issued July 3, 2008 revised on March 19, 2010) - Canadian TSB Version
DTC (diagnostic trouble codes)
C0210 - Rear Speed Sensor RH circuit
C0215 - Rear Speed Sensor LH Circuit

Sorry I didnt get a chance to read the entire thread but I skim through enough of it to help me get the right part replaced at a reasonable price rather than their initial costs of $700-900

Hope that helps.

The service manager also said he'd follow up with Toyota. What they call a good will claim... case determined by toyota canada.

Sorry for the length of the post... but hopefully some of this info helps someone with the same issue.

Cheers.

Last edited by da1nonly; 01-05-2011 at 09:27 PM.
da1nonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #251
Dave

Awesome work and great post.

Even if Toyota won't issue a proper recall (like I think they should) it would be nice if they could at least stick with the $50 fix instead of charging their customers upwards of $700 to replace their own faulty materials.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #252
bigdaddyhame
I've made a post!

Hello... my wife's 2007 Yaris Sedan >80k kms has just started showing the abs/! light issue as well. Add us to any and all complaint and or recall encouragement lists... I've printed off some of the materials here to take to our mechanic just in case but for the time being we don't mind the lack of ABS. While it sucks that we are clearly not alone in this at least we can share information and help eachother even if Toyota won't stand behind their defective system and issue a recall. Filling out a transport canada complaint this evening.
bigdaddyhame is offline   Reply With Quote