Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-06-2011, 03:53 PM   #253
da1nonly

Drives: yaris hatchback le
Filled out a transport canada safety complaint today as well...

hopefully this gets addressed...
da1nonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #254
supahsain

Drives: yaris 07
Another unhappy customer. Just filed a safety complaint but I highly doubt it will do anything.
supahsain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #255
Andymeo

Drives: 2007 Yaris
another victim

Unfortunately my car has the same problem come out today, both the ABS light and brake light ON. Don't know what I can do. Warrenty expired a year ago and I still need to keep the lease for another year. Too bad.
Andymeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #256
supahsain

Drives: yaris 07
Wow, I guess this is affecting more people than I thought.
Everyone should create a complaint
https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur....aspx?lang=eng
supahsain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #257
Andymeo

Just file a complaint at Transport Canada.
Andymeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #258
limochong

Drives: 2007 yaris sedan
Hi Guys~
I have 2007 Sedan model also...the other day both parking brake and ABS lights came on then both went off inself after driving it about 30mins. A few days later those two lights came on again then went off itself...after reading up on these posts i went to check under the car (both rear speed sensor wires and connectors). After observing i did not see any chafed or broken wires and damage to connectors. After cleaning the connectors and sensor areas with contact cleaners and re-connected them back.
I was fortunate to see no damage to wires or connectors. So far i don't see any problems with parking brake and ABS light. I think it's fixed for now~

P.S. I did check with OBD II but like the others peoples there was no fault code shown.(at least my case)
I do not know why it did not record any fault code in computer??
limochong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #259
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by limochong View Post
Hi Guys~
I have 2007 Sedan model also...the other day both parking brake and ABS lights came on then both went off inself after driving it about 30mins. A few days later those two lights came on again then went off itself...after reading up on these posts i went to check under the car (both rear speed sensor wires and connectors). After observing i did not see any chafed or broken wires and damage to connectors. After cleaning the connectors and sensor areas with contact cleaners and re-connected them back.
I was fortunate to see no damage to wires or connectors. So far i don't see any problems with parking brake and ABS light. I think it's fixed for now~

P.S. I did check with OBD II but like the others peoples there was no fault code shown.(at least my case)
I do not know why it did not record any fault code in computer??
A standard OBDII reader can't read fault codes from the ABS ECU. You need a Toyota TechStream Tool or an enhanced diagnostic tool to read fault codes from any ECU other than the ECM.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #260
limochong

Oh I C~~ thanks for the info CTScott.

FYI guys mine had 73,000Km right now
Old 01-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #261
CTScott
ULTIMATE

By the way, you can actually read the DTCs using just a jumper wire:

With the ignition off, jump the CG and TC pins on the OBD connector:

Name:  ABS DTC.jpg
Views: 2485
Size:  49.9 KB

Turn the ignition on and watch the ABS light. If there are stored DTCs, It will flash in a pattern to indicate the code (71 for example will be shown as 7 quick flashes, a short pause, and then one quick flash).

C1271/71 Low output signal of front speed sensor RH
• Front speed sensor RH
• Front speed sensor RH circuit
• Sensor installation
• Foreign matter on sensor tip or sensor rotor
C1272/72 Low output signal of front speed sensor LH
• Front speed sensor LH
• Front speed sensor LH circuit
• Sensor installation
C1273/73 Low output signal of rear speed sensor RH
• Skid control sensor RH
• Skid control sensor RH circuit
• Sensor installation
C1274/74 Low output signal of rear speed sensor LH
• Skid control sensor LH
• Skid control sensor LH circuit
• Sensor installation
C1275/75 Abnormal change in output signal of front speed
sensor RH
• Front speed sensor RH
C1276/76 Abnormal change in output signal of front speed
sensor LH
• Front speed sensor LH
C1277/77 Abnormal change in output signal of rear speed
sensor RH
• Skid control sensor RH
C1278/78 Abnormal change in output signal of rear speed
sensor LH
• Skid control sensor LH
Old 01-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #262
Carrot Top

Drives: 2008 Copper Orange LE HB
[QUOTE=dadi_oh;205097]He also made some odd comment about how it could happen if you got stuck and ended up spinning the front wheels. ???? Doesn't make any sense to me.

My lights came on AFTER I was going up Clifton Hill in Niagara Falls, Ontario. It was snowing like crazy, the roads were not plowed and I had to go up the hill. I don't have snow tires and because of this my tires were spinning...it was so slick out. I felt that if I had taken my foot off the acclerator, I would have slid and gone backwards, it was that bad out!

Anyways, I took it to the dealership today and it is covered under the extended warranty but they wanted me to pay a $112.00 diagnostic charge...lucky for me, I had talked to a Manager and he told me that they have to charge this amount but if the part is covered under warranty, you don't have too...so beware of dealerships trying to charge you!!
The part is backordered, I agree with everyone else, this should be a recall for Yari that are subjected to snow.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:37 AM   #263
'LilRedYaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to 'LilRedYaris
Well, started my car (2007 Yaris Sedan) @ 6:30ish AM to warm it up and noticed the (ABS) and "Brake" light were lit. Tested my E-brake momentarily - no change. After thumbing through the manual and seeing that having both the ABS light and Brake light lit were signs to not drive & call the dealer, I sat and cursed for a few moments. Briefly tested the brakes in the driveway. Seemed to work fine. After both wondering if I should risk the drive to my morning class and consulting with a relative - I risked it & drove. Gingerly made my way through the snowy/salty slop to school. Then after class made it the (thankfully) short distance from school to the dealer (the very same dealer I had bought the car from). After driving the car into the svc. bay, I was greeted by being told a $120 would be applied as a diagnostic charge. After staring wide eyed at the service guy and expressing my disbelief, I reluctantly agreed - after all I was trying to do the right thing. Right?

To make a long story short... It was the right-rear wheel speed sensor harness. I was told there was 1 available locally and it would take awhile to get my car worked on. Told them to get it done.
After writing a note to my former sales guy expressing my concern over the $120 charge and leaving for a bit, I returned to the dealer. Talked w/ my sales guy only to find out that this fix wasn't under warranty (since it wasn't powetrain/tranny related). He tried talking w/ the service manager, vouching for me and tried getting the service charge eliminated. No dice. He sincerely apologized to me and I paid up and left. Disappointed. $220.35 total out of my pocket. Some of you may know that I bought this car Certified Used last May. My first Toyota, and first newish/modern car. Love it's driveability, reliability, and ease of use. Didn't like this situation too much though. Well, it can only get better, right? I live in a winter wonderland...

I should add: Today the car broke 50,000 Miles too. I bought it with little over 42,000 on the Odometer.

Last edited by 'LilRedYaris; 01-14-2011 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Addition
'LilRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #264
beZzZ
Learning & Upgrading

Drives: 2006 Yaris 5 Dr HB Black
Both my abs and battery warning light were on whenever it's raining, it was before I changed my 06 alternator to a used 09 one. And since then, luckily, both of them are never on again. Even now it's snowing almost everyday here.

Just wondering would it be the alternator causing the real problem.
beZzZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #265
Carrot Top

Drives: 2008 Copper Orange LE HB
[QUOTE='LilRedYaris;547620] He sincerely apologized to me and I paid up and left. Disappointed. $220.35 total out of my pocket. Some of you may know that I bought this car Certified Used last May. My first Toyota, and first newish/modern car. Love it's driveability, reliability, and ease of use. Didn't like this situation too much though. Well, it can only get better, right? I live in a winter wonderland...

So you got it fixed for $220.35?! I was told it is $700.00...thank God I got the extended warranty or I wouldn't get it fix. It is VERY disappointing to have that kind of repair...
Old 01-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #266
limochong

DTCs checked today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
By the way, you can actually read the DTCs using just a jumper wire:

With the ignition off, jump the CG and TC pins on the OBD connector:

Attachment 39321

Turn the ignition on and watch the ABS light. If there are stored DTCs, It will flash in a pattern to indicate the code (71 for example will be shown as 7 quick flashes, a short pause, and then one quick flash).

C1271/71 Low output signal of front speed sensor RH
• Front speed sensor RH
• Sensor installation
C1272/72 Low output signal of front speed sensor LH
• Front speed sensor LH
• Sensor installation
C1273/73 Low output signal of rear speed sensor RH
• Skid control sensor RH
• Sensor installation
C1274/74 Low output signal of rear speed sensor LH
• Skid control sensor LH
• Sensor installation
C1275/75 Abnormal change in output signal of front speed
sensor RH
• Front speed sensor RH
C1276/76 Abnormal change in output signal of front speed
sensor LH
• Front speed sensor LH
C1277/77 Abnormal change in output signal of rear speed
sensor RH
• Skid control sensor RH
C1278/78 Abnormal change in output signal of rear speed
sensor LH
• Skid control sensor LH
Thanks to CTScott, checked my OBD connector and jumped those two pins
confirmed that i have 73.

But there was also other lights were also blinked like transmission, airbag, P/S. etc
what are these CTScott??
Old 01-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #267
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by beZzZ View Post
Both my abs and battery warning light were on whenever it's raining, it was before I changed my 06 alternator to a used 09 one. And since then, luckily, both of them are never on again. Even now it's snowing almost everyday here.

Just wondering would it be the alternator causing the real problem.
That's not the same problem. Our problem is the ABS and parking brake light on, not the battery.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #268
blueswan

Can anyone tell me where I would access the Canadian version of the TSB? My ! and ABS light just came on last night driving home in a snowstorm. I'd like to just replace the necessary parts rather than the whole assembly if I can, the dealership of course quoted me for the hub & sensor wiring.

Can I get instruct them to replace just the sensor wiring? How will I know that it is just the wiring and the hub is not required? I'm no techie with cars so I wouldn't know if thats a reasonable request.

I have a 2007 Yaris with 170,000 km on it.

Any advice would be appreciated, keeping in mind that I am not knowleadgeable about cars.

Regards and thanks,

Chris.
blueswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #269
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueswan View Post
Can anyone tell me where I would access the Canadian version of the TSB? My ! and ABS light just came on last night driving home in a snowstorm. I'd like to just replace the necessary parts rather than the whole assembly if I can, the dealership of course quoted me for the hub & sensor wiring.

Can I get instruct them to replace just the sensor wiring? How will I know that it is just the wiring and the hub is not required? I'm no techie with cars so I wouldn't know if thats a reasonable request.

I have a 2007 Yaris with 170,000 km on it.

Any advice would be appreciated, keeping in mind that I am not knowleadgeable about cars.

Regards and thanks,

Chris.

I haven't seen a source for Canadian TSBs, but if you look at the "Brake Control" section of the service manual (which is posted at the top of the DIY section), page 102 shows what's involved in replacing the senor/wire.

The wire is cheap (~$30), the sensor is a bit more (~$150), and the hub is ~$350. I would imagine that you'd have to add 2-4 hours of labor to that.

They probably just replace the whole mess, rather than taking the extra time to diagnose each portion of it.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #270
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by limochong View Post
Thanks to CTScott, checked my OBD connector and jumped those two pins
confirmed that i have 73.

But there was also other lights were also blinked like transmission, airbag, P/S. etc
what are these CTScott??
Jumping TC to CG does the same for those systems as well.