Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-22-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Need Help Wiring Fog Lights

I got a set of the nice Taiwanese fog lights from Kargoboy and I got them installed into the nose and the wire running into the cabin; but I am having problems figuring out the interior wiring.

The set included a harness where one end plugs directly into the button that goes underneath the parking brake. No problem there. The other end has a large plug that goes into the relay, and the wire that comes through the firewall also goes into it…easy enough.

Now, I have three wires left. One has a loop so I naturally assume it is the ground. Another is purple and has a small female end to it. I think it goes into the fusebox somewhere. The last is pink and stripped at the end, no connector.

Now, I want to be able to run these without the lights on; but I want them to be tied to the ignition so they go out when the car is shut off. If anyone can help me in determining how to connect these remaining wires to give me that set-up I would be very grateful! The inside of my Yaris is torn up until I get this done, and I want to get it back together as soon as possible!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I believe one is constant power and one is (as you want) ignition power. I used running light power, that way you can't accidentally leave them on. You can test which wire is which. I think if you get them backward the switch just doesn't light up correctly. Sorry I can't be certain, I sold the Yaris awhile back and can't just "go out and look". Good luck
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
MadMax

Thanks Peter, I guess I'm just gonna have to experiment to figure out what the purple and pink wires are.

Another question, will the fogs get power from the fuse box or should there be a power line running to the battery? I ask because with the two harnesses I got, there is nothing that connects to the battery. The one in front has two connections to the back of the fogs, a ground wire, and a wire that runs into the cabin and connects to the second harness. That one has a connction that goes to the switch, one that goes to the relay, and the three remaining wires that I asked about, one of which I believe is the ground wire and the other two as you mentioned are constant power and the ignition. I am just curious as to how I am going to work this out...I hope I don't have to pull the nose off of my Yaris again! That was a pain...

Cheers! M2
Old 11-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
Meteorite_Marty

Drives: 2008 5-door Yaris Hatchback
Use Google and choose "Cached" and get all the old articles from Yarisworld.

For example: I Googled: "Yaris fog lights DIY" and got

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=1&gl=ca

This link will help you with a DIY that was originally posted.

I suggest the administrators Google-cache many of their articles lost by the hack. Google will show the lastest cached articles it has from the site. This needs to be done before Google purges its storage.
Meteorite_Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
The purple wire is your constant power, the light pink wire with no connector is your switched power, and dark pink wire that went through the firewall plugs into the foglight relay.

You can follow the pictures below. That is how I have mine setup. Purple wire goes in and locks in place in that connector below(follow the red arrow if you can see it). Light pink wire you will have to modify the harness to get to that connector near the shifter. Open up the wire harness near the green/white wires, find light pink wire & cut it and tap it into the green/white wires near the shifter. That green/white wire powers on the lights in the shifter for automatics, for manuals its just tucked away unused. Connecting the switched wire onto there allows you turn on the foglights with the parking lights and goes off when you turn off your headlights
Attached Images
File Type: jpg purplewire.jpg (92.2 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg switchedwire.jpg (72.4 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg darkpinkwire.jpg (61.8 KB, 303 views)
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #6
MadMax

FunctionSpec

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. But yet again I have a question, can I just wire them into the fuse box as such...

Obviously substituting the appropriate wires?

Cheers! M2
Old 11-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
if you follow the esuse method you conect it to the fuse box in the engine bay without having to go through the firewall
Thanks, but I've already run it through the firewall...and I think the harnesses I got where meant to run off of the inside fuse box.

Cheers! M2
Old 11-23-2008, 05:24 PM   #8
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

You can? You just need the correct connectors. Only probably with that setup is that it turns on when you turn the key to ACC so you have to remember to manually turn on and off the foglights everytime. If you connect to a wire that switches on when the parking lights are on, you are able to turn the foglights on/off with the parking lights and since you'll probably turn on parking lights at night anyways, it just seems more convenient.

You can also run it through the fuse box without going through the firewall but limits the ability to turn them on whenever you like. You can only turn on the foglights if the headlights are on only. Nice feature about that route is that the foglight indicator lights up on the dash when you turn on the foglights
Old 11-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
MadMax

OK, hopefully this will be the last question!

Based on the two wires going into the inside fuse box (below), what connectors do I need for where the red and white wires go?

The white one seems like a simple female connector (albeit a little smaller that usual) but I am not quite sure about the top one.

Cheers! M2
Old 11-24-2008, 12:36 AM   #10
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

You need the connector from the purple wire to connect the switched wire(light pink) like the red wire in the picture. Then you need a connector like the dark pink wire that you plugged into the relay to plug into the connection that the white wire is connected to.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:48 PM   #11
MadMax

This is driving me nuts, I swapped the connector from the purple wire to the light pink one; and it does not fit in the place shown above! I have the purple (white above) wire hooked up, but there is only one way to get the connector in that hole and it is very loose. I tried Pep Boys looking for another connector, and all they have are smaller ones. Does anyone know where I can get the right-sized connector?

And, just to recap; these are the only two connections to the car, right (except for the two grounds)? I have the harness hooked up to the lights, then grounded and through the firewall, Inside that wire connects to the relay, and there is a wire that runs to the switch in the center console. There are three extra wires left to connect, the ground (done) and the purple and light pink wire. These go in the two slots in the fuse box shown above (purple --> white and pink --> red).

Cheers! M2
Old 11-25-2008, 08:27 AM   #12
MadMax

No ideas? If I can't figure this out, I may have to take it to my local shop...

Cheers! M2
Old 11-25-2008, 11:23 AM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
No ideas? If I can't figure this out, I may have to take it to my local shop...

Cheers! M2
You can grab switched ACC power from the steering column and then you won't need the proper pin for that connector. You can just use a wire splice. The white wire on the keyswitch connector is ACC:

CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #14
MadMax

CTScott

Thanks for the suggestion, but I was hoping to be able to wire it as (I believe) it was intended. Plus, I am concerned over cutting wires (I'll admit it, I'm a chickenshit when it comes to my new car).

I'm curious, can I at least test the connection by sticking a bare wire into the location in the fuse box?

Cheers! M2
Old 11-25-2008, 07:36 PM   #15
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

I would just put everything back the way it was and follow my original directions. I have installed 3 of kargoboys kits that way with no problems. Stop following that other picture, its for a different kit which requires different connections.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:40 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
CTScott

Thanks for the suggestion, but I was hoping to be able to wire it as (I believe) it was intended. Plus, I am concerned over cutting wires (I'll admit it, I'm a chickenshit when it comes to my new car).

I'm curious, can I at least test the connection by sticking a bare wire into the location in the fuse box?

Cheers! M2
You can hold it against the terminal to do a quick test.

You actually don't have to cut the wire to tap into the column circuit - You can use one of the tap splice connectors like this (available a most autoparts stores):

CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:53 PM   #17
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
good info Scott....
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #18
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunctionSpec View Post
I would just put everything back the way it was and follow my original directions. I have installed 3 of kargoboys kits that way with no problems. Stop following that other picture, its for a different kit which requires different connections.
FunctionSpec

Will do, but that still doesn't solve my problem of the loose connector for the purple wire that goes into the fuse box.

And would the tap splice connectors CTScott posted work with tapping into the gree/white wires near the shifter?

Cheers! M2