Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-21-2009, 02:33 AM   #55
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I am starting to really love my ecometer. My adverage mpg is 39 this time and i do more of a 70 percent traffic stop and go commute and 30 percent freeway. The best i have ever had in my car in the whole 15k miles ive owned it. I find myself looking at it less and less now as my foot is trained to just lightly feather the gas pedal. Only thing the slight feathering is really putting a strain on the heel of my foot at times. I think cause there is hardly a counterweight you need almost float you foot on top of the pedal with no pressure.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:11 AM   #56
toast

Drives: 2007 LB
Just did my first tank fillup since installing the ecometer. The gauge said avg mpg was 40. Actual mpg was 39.7. Amazingly close for out of the box. I'll have to keep an eye on it, but you can adjust the calibration if you find it's running too high or too low. It will just take me a while as I don't put too many miles on in a week.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #57
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
im totally sold on it then
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #58
Cosworth

Drives: S sedan
Well, still haven't received my ecometer. I ordered it from Phantasm on Wed (6/17). They said it was in stock at the time when I called. Now, they tell me they just got them in today (6/22/Mon). So, I probably won't get it until this weekend. This blows!
Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #59
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Mine will be here on the 29th! Yippy Skippy.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #60
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
It would be interesting to see the contrast between cruise control and foot power cruising on the interstate at the same 75 mph.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #61
gammaray

Drives: 09 3D Liftback
Hey all, didnt go through the intro board. My first post. Actually been through so many, with so many vehicles....just had to pass. Anyway, bought an 09 Yaris, and installed this gauge. Love it. Without a doubt this thing will pay for itself soon. Gas mileage on this car is insane....by the way.
gammaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #62
gokartride

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3-Door Liftback
Any favorite mounting locations that are easy??? I'd like to be able to remove the gauge from my car from time to time. Why??? Well, after hypermiling for the past two years in my previous car (and seeing 42-46 mpg in city driving) it sometimes just gets exhausting being "on" all the time. I think I'd prefer to check in w/ the gauge every so often and then remove it, although having that gauge present really does help keep one focussed.
gokartride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #63
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Got mine today...sort of a self birthday present to myself. Hooked up easy enough. My only question is, how do you mount it? It has a open bottom...at least mint did, and nothing to mount it on. Where there supposed to be a base that came with it? There wasn't one in the box.

I am very suprised at the difference my old driving habits have on this gauge. I just drove to the store and there is an education in using this gauge. Today is the first day for the rest of my life!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #64
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Gokartride,

I really like having the ecometer on the A post. A quick glance left from my normal sight path allows me to view the gauge easily. Also, after you plug the unit in you can quickly tuck the wire behind the door trim for a clean install. The industrial fasteners shipped with the unit are like plastic velcro and you can remove the unit easily.

R2
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #65
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Daf62757,

There should be two small rectangular shaped pieces of industrial fastener in the box. Place one half of the fastener on the small rectangular platform inside the hollow area of the base on the ecometer, and the other on the vehicle where you wish to mount the unit (after cleaning the surface with alcohol). There should also be a trim ring that fits around the perimeter of the ecometer base that conforms to the surface the ecometer is mated to- this gives a nice "flush" appearance. Then just join the fasteners by lining them up and pressing the ecometer firmly to seat them. Mine has held very well.

Hope this helps!

R2
Old 06-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #66
gokartride

Good to know...thnx!! I may hafta get me one of these someday!!!
Old 06-25-2009, 05:39 PM   #67
gammaray

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokartride View Post
Any favorite mounting locations that are easy??? I'd like to be able to remove the gauge from my car from time to time. Why??? Well, after hypermiling for the past two years in my previous car (and seeing 42-46 mpg in city driving) it sometimes just gets exhausting being "on" all the time. I think I'd prefer to check in w/ the gauge every so often and then remove it, although having that gauge present really does help keep one focussed.
I mounted mine just a bit to the right and slightly behind the driver dash vent behind the cupholder. It is angled toward the center point of my body. This position leaves very little wire exposure as well. Maybe I can get a pic soon. And you can remove it at any time, you will just have to look at a small rectangle adhesive base.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:36 PM   #68
gammaray

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaray View Post
I mounted mine just a bit to the right and slightly behind the driver dash vent behind the cupholder. It is angled toward the center point of my body. This position leaves very little wire exposure as well. Maybe I can get a pic soon. And you can remove it at any time, you will just have to look at a small rectangle adhesive base.
Pic.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #69
gokartride

I'm wondering if...for perodic use...one could use something like one of those foam cup inserts and mount it directly in the driver's side cup holder. This way it could be removed from the car easily. Does the process for plugging it into the OBDII port make this approach impractical? I wore myself out hypermiling in my last car, but I would like to check now and again.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #70
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokartride View Post
I'm wondering if...for perodic use...one could use something like one of those foam cup inserts and mount it directly in the driver's side cup holder. This way it could be removed from the car easily. Does the process for plugging it into the OBDII port make this approach impractical? I wore myself out hypermiling in my last car, but I would like to check now and again.
You could do that. I remember one guy put his GPS unit on a stack of hockey pucks and then used the cup holder so what you are suggesting would be about the same concept.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #71
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

The more I use the ecogauge, the more I starting to realize what factors come into helping with better gas mileage.

First, hills take away from gas mileage while flat ground greatly aids in higher mileage. The cruise control also costs more gas...but mainly when climbing slight hills over a long distance.

It all appears to be a trade off of one over another. You can go fast and get OK mileage, but much better mileage without the air or cruise. You can get super mileage downhill, but it helps to disengage the cruise and "feather" the car down the hill.

This is a wild device. I am really happy I got it and it has already changed my driving habits!

Old 06-27-2009, 09:55 PM   #72
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Dave,

I agree this is a great tool-I am very pleased with my purchase as well.

My compliments to Auto Meter for producing such an effective, economical, and user friendly device.

R2