Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
yaristhebest

Drives: Yaris 2012 Sedan
How to start-up my car

Hi,

I own a Yaris 2012 Sedan with 5 speed manual transmission. This question might sound extremely basic but I just want to make sure that I'm following the proper steps to start-up my car. This is what I do:

1. Ensure that the handbrake is active.
2. Ensure that my car is in neutral.
3. Press all the clutch and then use the key to start the engine.

My question is regarding the point #3 because some people told me that not only I should press the clutch but also the brake and only then when both pedals are being pressed use the key to start the engine. Is this true?

Thank you!
yaristhebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
discomark10

Drives: 02 Yaris 1.5 T-sport
You dont have to do a single one!! But neutral or clutch is advisable and some breaking if on a hill. ;)

Last edited by discomark10; 01-10-2013 at 05:37 PM.
discomark10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Clutch in only, as it won't allow you to start it without doing it.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
narly charley

Drives: 2010 Yaris "L" 5 Speed
Here: http://bit.ly/RIIgHl
Old 01-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
No brake needed.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
yaristhebest

Drives: Yaris 2012 Sedan
Thank you guys, so it's all about clutching in and moving the key to the "START" position. Thanks!
yaristhebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
I assume this is your very first car you've ever owned.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:25 AM   #8
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
All the above plus 4- brake.

It's just good habit. You don't know who was in the car before you and you just might be in a rush one day. There will be a day where you get in your car and 1st gear or reverse was the only thing keeping the car from rolling. Imagine in that situation when you're fumbling with everything in your car and you don't notice the car rolling forward when you depress the clutch to start the car.

I'll add that when you park, put into the gear opposite of gravity as well as the parking brake.

Last edited by rningonfumes; 01-11-2013 at 07:00 PM.
rningonfumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
yaris814

Drives: yaris
I've never driven a stick shift Yaris, but in my '88 BMW, I can start the car with depressing the clutch pedal only, whereas my '11 Porsche requires depressing both clutch and brake pedal to start the car. Because of that, I've developed a habit of putting the car in neutral first (not necessary), then depress both pedals, then start the car.
yaris814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:44 AM   #10
autokidzcar
I've made a post!

Drives: toyota
what you should do is choose the one point that you mentioned it. but it should only be the Clutch just enough. common mistakes people do is when they want to start the engine but the vehicle is not in neutral
autokidzcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris814 View Post
Because of that, I've developed a habit of putting the car in neutral first (not necessary), then depress both pedals, then start the car.
Good habit, keep doing it.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #12
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
^ whats up with all the bad advise......

on a modern car you will need to press the clutch in to depress the clutch switch. unless u bi-pass it (paper clip works well) the starter will not crank without the clutch depressed.

Putting the car in neutral isnt as important as long a you remember not to let go of the clutch untill the car is then out of gear. For example, you are in a rush to move your car and if you dont take off as soon as the car starts your life will be in danger, dont take it out of gear, as soon as it grabs go. or if you stall at a light and the cars behind you are becoming iirate you need to start and go.

Ebrake is also quite important but shouldnt always be trusted especially on a incline. if you park with your car in gear and ebrake, when you depress the clutch the ebrake may not be enough to hold your car and it may roll into something or over someone without you even noticing it was moving.

i have bi-passed my clutch sensor but always hold the brake jsut incase my neutral check failed. the reasons for all the steps is to be safe and ready for all situations, you can tailor your procedures as you get more comfortable with your car and knowing the conditions currently on and around your car.

IMO if you have concerns about if this is correct or if you "need" to do them all, you should definatly do them all. You dont realize you need a seatbelt till you fly out the window.....
Old 01-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Owner's manuals are awesome!

Name:  Screenshot (14).png
Views: 3384
Size:  35.3 KB

Problem solved.

Edit: Not a dig on OP, just a simple way to put to rest the "put it in neutral"-"no, you don't have to"-"well, yeah, but you should have the parking brake on" thing that's going on!

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
If your car has an a/t, you need to press on the brake pedal as your tranny is in neutral (N) and the torque converter is spinning a bit in this state. Think of it as you don't own a yaris but another a/t car (like 1998-2004ish models), where you have to always press hard on the brake pedal when starting the car to avoid damage to the tranny (as per owner's manual instructions).

If your car has a m/t, you need not depress the brake pedal, but this has been added by toyota as a safety precaution since when you press the clutch, the gear disengages, and assuming the handbrake is not fully engaged (and also you relied on the gear to stop the car from rolling when you parked it prior) then you might end up rolling without you noticing while starting the car.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #15
seth_man

Drives: 08 Liftback
wow, 13 replies on how to start the car the human race is f'ed
seth_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by seth_man View Post
wow, 13 replies on how to start the car the human race is f'ed
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #17
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
OMG love it. I agree .. turning the key (and pressing the clutch if it is a standard) isn't really rocket science. I always engage my emergency brake when I park .. so I know the car won't roll on me or anything like that.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #18
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
wait, this is YARISWORLD. You really thought we couldn't make this thread into an argument? Come on, of course we can.

I would never leave my car in gear though, just thinking about it freaks me out.