Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #19
basslover911

Drives: Future Yaris!
No I photoshopped it on there cuz I thought it would look good and create a break halfway down the car since the side of the yaris is Very flat on the side (boring)
basslover911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #20
Twizzstyle

Drives: 2002 WRX, soon 2008 Yaris
Not a photoshop, but real... experiment I did last spring on a 1600 mile road trip. Best tank was only 51mpg, but granted we were loaded down with a LOT of camping gear.

Mods included taping ALL seams, removing wipers and fairing that area, covered foglight recesses, upper grill block, moon wheel covers, removed antenna, removed sidemarkers, side mirror fairings, garage door front lip, and a functional rear diffuser :)
Twizzstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:12 PM   #21
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
that's pretty cool. 51mpg is not bad at all with a full load of gear... Wonder what you could do for a permanent install to get similar mpg without all the tape (seals under the seams, fiber glass fairings, etc...)

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #22
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
that rear diffuser is awesome! How'd you do it?
Old 10-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #23
XYaris

Drives: '09 Yaris LB
I like the diffuser as well. Any other pics?

Also, I'd be into using one of those spoilers available for civic hatchbacks, the ones that mount just below the rear window. Would these have any aero benefits?

Last edited by XYaris; 10-27-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: New idea
XYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:05 PM   #24
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYaris View Post
I like the diffuser as well. Any other pics?

Also, I'd be into using one of those spoilers available for civic hatchbacks, the ones that mount just below the rear window. Would these have any aero benefits?
Spoilers are made to create down force by increasing drag. Spoilers will only hurt your fuel economy. (vortex generators on the other hand...)

Old 10-27-2009, 10:14 PM   #25
Yarold n Kumar

Drives: 2009 3dr lb
does the egg shape cause turbulence in the back when we go fast?
Yarold n Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:56 PM   #26
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarold n Kumar View Post
does the egg shape cause turbulence in the back when we go fast?
The blunt rear end causes a low pressure air bubble behind it which may or may not increase drag. I believe the bubble helps out, because when mythbusters tested which is better, whether to leave the tail gate up or down on a truck for aerodynamics, they found that up was better because the low pressure air bubble that formed inside the bed helped direct air around the truck. Also, the drag on the sedan is the same as the LB so my guess is the air bubble is directing the air around the car.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:57 PM   #27
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDefeat View Post
Spoilers are made to create down force by increasing drag. Spoilers will only hurt your fuel economy. (vortex generators on the other hand...)
You mean like these?

LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #28
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtNoogie View Post
You mean like these?

yea, those. I think they cause the air bubble to be lower and the air stream to adhere to it better...

Old 10-28-2009, 03:33 AM   #29
THE ONE
ドン フアン

Drives: Yaris coming really soon... :)
Send a message via MSN to THE ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizzstyle View Post
Not a photoshop, but real... experiment I did last spring on a 1600 mile road trip. Best tank was only 51mpg, but granted we were loaded down with a LOT of camping gear.

Mods included taping ALL seams, removing wipers and fairing that area, covered foglight recesses, upper grill block, moon wheel covers, removed antenna, removed sidemarkers, side mirror fairings, garage door front lip, and a functional rear diffuser :)
Nice project! Interesting...

THE ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #30
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
The blunt rear end causes a low pressure air bubble behind it which may or may not increase drag. I believe the bubble helps out, because when mythbusters tested which is better, whether to leave the tail gate up or down on a truck for aerodynamics, they found that up was better because the low pressure air bubble that formed inside the bed helped direct air around the truck. Also, the drag on the sedan is the same as the LB so my guess is the air bubble is directing the air around the car.
Did you guys see the one where they covered a car in clay and cut dimples in it, to replicate the golf ball surface? And the mpg improved like crazy?

I'm thinking about getting the mallet out and start working on the body...
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #31
XYaris

Quote:
Spoilers are made to create down force by increasing drag. Spoilers will only hurt your fuel economy.
Not all spoilers create downforce. In fact many do not. Since the goal here seems to be manipulating the flow of air behind the car, like the cone shape discussed above, maybe an attachment at the mid trunk level could do that in the right way. I wish I had a wind tunnel.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #32
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Quote:
Not all spoilers create downforce. In fact many do not. Since the goal here seems to be manipulating the flow of air behind the car, like the cone shape discussed above, maybe an attachment at the mid trunk level could do that in the right way. I wish I had a wind tunnel.
ok well generally speaking, they are used to create down-force, then. (I've actually never seen one that wasn't but that doesn't mean they don't exist) I believe that any thing intruding into the air flow, will increase drag. The trick is of course to figure out a positive cumulative effect. Vortex generators increase drag locally by interfering with the flow of air where they stick into the air stream, but if the turbulence allows a smaller vacuum pocket behind the car and better over all drag then it's worth the trade-off.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #33
XYaris

Quote:
I've actually never seen one that wasn't but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
Im pretty sure the stock spoiler on the Yaris LB is non-functional, but if not, my impression is that many cars that come with spoilers (especially front wheel drive cars) have non functional/cosmetic uses only. It depends on the size and angle of the spoiler, otherwise its not creating downforce, just drag.

maybe the spoiler im referring to would create less of the aforementioned vacuum. dont know
Old 10-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #34
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Quote:
Im pretty sure the stock spoiler on the Yaris LB is non-functional, but if not, my impression is that many cars that come with spoilers (especially front wheel drive cars) have non functional/cosmetic uses only. It depends on the size and angle of the spoiler, otherwise its not creating downforce, just drag.

maybe the spoiler im referring to would create less of the aforementioned vacuum. dont know
Ah, nonfunctional... Well I thought you meant one made specifically to reduce over all drag. Yes, I'm sure some spoilers produce negligible down-force and mostly drag. It's easy to add a stylish looking "spoiler" but it would take some wind tunnel time (or at least a solid knowledge of aerodynamics) to set up a spoiler specifically to reduce overall drag.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:33 PM   #35
XYaris

That's what I figured. Maybe someone will come along. I'm generally opposed to purely cosmetic mods so to justify a spoiler or front lip for that matter I'd want to have some backing.

I would still love to see some more pics and info about that diffuser...
Old 11-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #36
Twizzstyle

Drives: 2002 WRX, soon 2008 Yaris
More diffuser photos...

Without it...

With it...

I am an aeronautical engineer, so all of this stuff fascinates me greatly :) I made the diffuser out of steel sheet metal, which was heavy, but I had the material laying around so it was perfect. The fins were just tack welded on. I took it off the car after the trip last spring, but its still laying around. I'd really like to use it as a guide, and make a fiberglass or carbon fiber copy to put back on the car permanently.

The front end of it bolted onto the rear suspension beam with a few large U-bolts, the rear of it had some bolts going up to some tabs around the rear bumper. It just barely clears the tailpipe going around the muffler.

Vortex generators add energy (turbulence) to an otherwise laminar boundary layer, which makes it want to stay attached more. Putting VG's on the very end of the roof as in the picture above won't do much... the flow is going to separate on that aft corner anyways, you can't make it bend around that sharp of a corner :( In this case it may be better to encourage it to seperate at that point, and always at that point... thats what the stock add-on spoiler does, thats why I have it, thats why new Prius' have sharp corners on the sides of the rear bumper, take a look ;)

The rear end of our car kinda sucks aerodynamically, but the front is great so it makes up for it. If you wanted to make BIG changes, you'd need a giant cone fairing hanging off the back end, and that just isn't feasible. The mirror fairings I did (cones of polycarbonate) were a silly idea... they worked, but made the mirrors barely usable... probably not legal, but for the long mostly empty road travels we did with them on, it was ok. I'd really like to get some APR mirrors, or just do tiny cameras with screens inside, the stock mirrors are HUGE and ugly aerodynamically speaking :(
Twizzstyle is offline   Reply With Quote